+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Average age of posters appears ‘mature’ to put it politely!

Re: Average age of posters appears ‘mature’ to put it politely!

Quote Originally Posted by mazadona10 View Post
    37, look good for it though
    ditto

Teenager in the 70s, hedonism in the early 80s, not swapping for anything thanks.

my age is irrelevant

I am an earth rocker

And will live forever

Are you my twin? see below

Quote Originally Posted by Peajay View Post
    56 in July.
    Are you my twin?

I liked glowing up when I did, we had phones and internet but not really any social media, so was the best of both worlds.

Also liked the music and fashion of the late 90's /2000's.
    Had the big music stations like MTV and Kerrang, I was into the skating scene, so we had Blink 182 Sum 41 and all that, also went 'emo' for a year or so with my chemical romance and Paramore

Not saying it compares to the 70's or 80's but it was fun at the time.

Careers are hard these days, most of my mates graduated with me about 5-6 years ago, and most of us still do not know really what we want to do and are working generic temporary jobs.

The good thing about my generation, is if you are fortunate, our parents and grandparents benefited from cheap home ownership and early retirements, so some friends and myself have been able to travel and work abroad, knowing we have a rent free family home to return too something my parents were not able to do. (moved out and working full time by 17/18)

nice post chris lee a different view from us the older generation

we certainly had a different view on life back then and the way the way you young people are told to go to uni to survive in the modern world which we didn't have to do to survive back then

without getting too political i don't want lardy and cyril on my back again theres been a huge influx of immigration to the UK from that time as a youngster do you think thats hindered your chance to progress in the UK with a career ?

or you of the time where moving around to find work in the world the norm these days ? i have worked with many eastern europeans in the last 5 years and most young europeans travel for work it seems particularly the Uk

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    61, nearly 62 for me
    Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Exactly this.
    Ditto, but not too old to learn how to use Multiquote.

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    nice post chris lee a different view from us the older generation

we certainly had a different view on life back then and the way the way you young people are told to go to uni to survive in the modern world which we didn't have to do to survive back then

without getting too political i don't want lardy and cyril on my back again theres been a huge influx of immigration to the UK from that time as a youngster do you think thats hindered your chance to progress in the UK with a career ?

or you of the time where moving around to find work in the world the norm these days ? i have worked with many eastern europeans in the last 5 years and most young europeans travel for work it seems particularly the Uk

I think the problem Career wise with a a lot of people my age is as you said, being encouraged to go to university straight from school. I would not necessary say it is hard to get a career these days, if you are one of those lucky people that know exactly what they want to do in life the paths are pretty clear and well trodden.

I just think we were never encouraged to explore options, I remember being 17 in school one day and with no notice the teacher walking in and saying okay we are doing all your UCAS (Uni) applications today. Most of just chose a subject we were all ready doing for our A-levels ( business for myself)

My parents and grandparents thought it would be great to be the first person in my family to go to Uni so I just did.

After Uni I worked abroad in the USA for two years and Italy for 1 year, in hospitality and childcare, by the time I was 24 I would loved to have gone back to Uni and studied a vocational subject that I would have most likely enjoyed and been passionate about (such as physiotherapy, which I became interested while working at a sports camp)
    However by then I had already done the whole uni thing for 3 years and had 23k debt in my name, while people say it is never too late, the fact of the matter it is, it is very difficult to finance another degree once you have been down through the system once.

thanks for that chris lee and i think that applies to many famillies when you said being first to go to uni at your age

our age group didn't have too to get on what a difference 30 years does

wish we had a few more younger city fans on here rather than us older generation to keep this board going

we keep going on about the 70's /80's on here which must drive you mad but they were really good times in terms of music and fashion . keep posting

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    thanks for that chris lee and i think that applies to many famillies when you said being first to go to uni at your age

our age group didn't have too to get on what a difference 30 years does

wish we had a few more younger city fans on here rather than us older generation to keep this board going

we keep going on about the 70's /80's on here which must drive you mad but they were really good times in terms of music and fashion . keep posting
    Good reply to Chris' posts, Mozz. When I left school in '76, I don't recall anyone, family or school staff members, sitting down with me and asking me what I wanted to do.
    My school (Glantaf, English back then) didn't even have a 6th form.

There was an abundance of jobs at that time; I was taking home a "man's" wage at 18, working at the GKN steelworks. However, it was just that.. a job. By the time I had mentally matured and decided maybe it was about time I thought about a career, avenues were already closing due to not falling within the strict age criteria for re-training (ageism was more of a thing back then).
    So, I just ambled on - life was simpler back then. You just focused on the upcoming weekend and back to work on the Monday.

I feel for the younger generation, burdened with debt from university and not a hope in hell of getting on the property ladder. Their only chance is through inheritance.

34, only time I’ve felt young in a while is reading this thread. It seems like younger posters stopped joining one social media got bigger.

Was very lucky to be one of the last few to have “cheap” university fees, and still managed to have about £12k worth of debt, a lot more manageable than it is now though.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Blowing out candles on birthday cakes may not be as popular in future.
    its a disgusting habit.

I never have a slice of cake..

I am a very youthful 60 .

My mind doesn't associate myself with 60 .
    It thinks I am 20 something.

The advancement in technology alone in my lifetime has been unbelievable.
    When i was a kid, we shared a party line with the woman across the road on our house phone, we had to put a 50 pence piece in the back of the TV, you had to get off your arse to change one of the 3 channels, and most of my music was taped on cassettes, from the radio, where you had to try and avoid the DJ’s voice 😂

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    The advancement in technology alone in my lifetime has been unbelievable.
    When i was a kid, we shared a party line with the woman across the road on our house phone, we had to put a 50 pence piece in the back of the TV, you had to get off your arse to change one of the 3 channels, and most of my music was taped on cassettes, from the radio, where you had to try and avoid the DJ’s voice ��
    TV was from Rentaset, you never bought one, party phone lines, but recording songs from the Light Programme on a Sunday to a Tape Recorder, the forerunner to Radio 1 cassettes didn’t come in til the 70’s. Those were the days as the one goes.

45 with the body of a 65 year old and the mind of a 15.

Returning to Chris’ interesting posts earlier, one huge difference that your generation missed out on is that we older folk did not have to build up a loan when entering further education. Unless you were from a wealthy family, one received a grant which didn’t have to be paid back ever which covered your tuition and living costs.

Having moderate social tastes (I was very interested in sport and women but less keen on copious amounts of alcohol, travel and expensive music/concerts) my grant paid for modest summer holidays and all my social needs including seeing girlfriends. In my time Chris, men paid for women; we didn’t go ‘Dutch’ - of course males weren’t fashion conscious like they are now not caring overmuch about their clothes, whilst girls had their make up to pay for, keeping up with female fashions and generally earned considerably less than blokes.

It was far easier for youngsters making their way in the world in the 1970s and 1980s than it is today. Though I still recall my parents thinking our first mortgage on a large maisonette of £25,000 being immense! Ask your grandparents what the cost of housing was in their time and that of their parents. You will probably be shocked.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanmore Bluebird View Post
    So far, I am the oldest.
    Yet another one older than you Stan. I'm 73.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyncoed Slumdog View Post
    Yet another one older than you Stan. I'm 73.
    I always thought you were much older than that but good for your age.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    I always thought you were much older than that but good for your age.
    I thought 'that's nice'. Then I reread it 🤔

Quote Originally Posted by Cyncoed Slumdog View Post
    I thought 'that's nice'. Then I reread it ��

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    34, only time I’ve felt young in a while is reading this thread. It seems like younger posters stopped joining one social media got bigger.

Was very lucky to be one of the last few to have “cheap” university fees, and still managed to have about £12k worth of debt, a lot more manageable than it is now though.
    That's a very good point about youngsters not joining any more due to the growth of social media. Maybe it's due to ignorance on my part but it never occurred to me that was the case. I just assumed that City fans regardless of age would either join this board, the other one or both.

On the whole I would say that it's more difficult for youngsters of today because unlike my generation they appear to be under far more pressure to succeed in life. Yes they have access to more material goods than we ever did but I think it's outweighed by all the other obstacles they have to overcome whilst making their way in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by chris lee View Post

I liked glowing up when I did, we had phones and internet but not really any social media, so was the best of both worlds.

Also liked the music and fashion of the late 90's /2000's.
    Had the big music stations like MTV and Kerrang, I was into the skating scene, so we had Blink 182 Sum 41 and all that, also went 'emo' for a year or so with my chemical romance and Paramore

Not saying it compares to the 70's or 80's but it was fun at the time.

Careers are hard these days, most of my mates graduated with me about 5-6 years ago, and most of us still do not know really what we want to do and are working generic temporary jobs.

The good thing about my generation, is if you are fortunate, our parents and grandparents benefited from cheap home ownership and early retirements, so some friends and myself have been able to travel and work abroad, knowing we have a rent free family home to return too something my parents were not able to do. (moved out and working full time by 17/18)
    I miss music tv channels, like I remember Channel U back in the day and it was easier to find music. I guess now, with the internet, new genres and artists can rise without needing big video budgets but finding a new song or artist via tiktok is nothing compared to watching music videos

Quote Originally Posted by chris lee View Post
    I think the problem Career wise with a a lot of people my age is as you said, being encouraged to go to university straight from school. I would not necessary say it is hard to get a career these days, if you are one of those lucky people that know exactly what they want to do in life the paths are pretty clear and well trodden.

I just think we were never encouraged to explore options, I remember being 17 in school one day and with no notice the teacher walking in and saying okay we are doing all your UCAS (Uni) applications today. Most of just chose a subject we were all ready doing for our A-levels ( business for myself)

My parents and grandparents thought it would be great to be the first person in my family to go to Uni so I just did.

After Uni I worked abroad in the USA for two years and Italy for 1 year, in hospitality and childcare, by the time I was 24 I would loved to have gone back to Uni and studied a vocational subject that I would have most likely enjoyed and been passionate about (such as physiotherapy, which I became interested while working at a sports camp)
    However by then I had already done the whole uni thing for 3 years and had 23k debt in my name, while people say it is never too late, the fact of the matter it is, it is very difficult to finance another degree once you have been down through the system once.
    I remember how much we were encouraged to apply to uni - lessons just dedicated to UCAS process. I know the job market changes a lot in the 3 years of doing a degree but I think it's a bit of a pressure for a 17-year-old to make such a huge choice, especially as you say for one that can be only made once

an anover fing-

It seems the norm these days for many people to take a "gap year" after uni (or even school) and go travelling.

How the *** do they afford it?
    Maybe the student loans are too generous?

Im my day, I had a student grant that didn't need repaying (a whole £90 per term in my first year) but it was for the vast majority School->uni>work before we had any money we could put aside for a holiday, let slone a year off.