+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Keith the Fish

Keith the Fish

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/w...tired-20287077

Retired. Fair play to him for working on that stall into his 80s!

Re: Keith the Fish

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/w...tired-20287077

Retired. Fair play to him for working on that stall into his 80s!
    I'll miss the guy - proper Cardiff. Makes me fancy some cockles with lashings of vinegar.

Lived in Cardiff all my life. Never seen him before.

Used to get my cockles firstly from the van that came round on a Saturday when I was a kid, and then after that either from the fella that would bring a basket of seafood into the pub or from Ashton's in the market.

My son knows of the van as he used to walk past it on his way to work but it has no recollection to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post

Used to get my cockles firstly from the van that came round on a Saturday when I was a kid, and then after that either from the fella that would bring a basket of seafood into the pub or from Ashton's in the market.

My son knows of the van as he used to walk past it on his way to work but it has no recollection to me.
    Did this gentleman have any connection to Ashton's in the indoor market? Given the location of his stall, he would have definitely been in direct competition to them you, would think.

International

When I was a boy there was a guy who had a huge granite slab just inside the market door, directly opposite Ashtons.
    He used to tip a dustbin of cockles on there and sell them for 3d a saucer. I loved going there with my dad and having some, feeling really grown up standing amongst all the men.
    You could buy them to take home in measures of a pint or a half pint

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    When I was a boy there was a guy who had a huge granite slab just inside the market door, directly opposite Ashtons.
    He used to tip a dustbin of cockles on there and sell them for 3d a saucer. I loved going there with my dad and having some, feeling really grown up standing amongst all the men.
    For as long as I can remember, directly opposite Ashton's there was a fruit & veg stall? Do you remember when there were so many sailing-boats down Tiger Bay you could literally walk from one boat t'other?

International

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    For as long as I can remember, directly opposite Ashton's there was a fruit & veg stall? Do you remember when there were so many sailing-boats down Tiger Bay you could literally walk from one boat t'other?
    What the fcuk has it got to do with how long you can remember?

I’ve got a first cousin called Keith Fish, he’s never had a stall anywhere though.

What the fcuk has it got to do with how long you can remember?
    Easy tiger, relax..

International

Easy tiger, relax..
    Just because you're too young to remember or your dad never took you, or perhaps you didn't grow up in cardiff

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    I’ve got a first cousin called Keith Fish, he’s never had a stall anywhere though.
    This is Keith THE Fish (also known as Keith Twamley according to the article 😁)
    I've walked passed a few but didn't know hed been there do long

Did this gentleman have any connection to Ashton's in the indoor market? Given the location of his stall, he would have definitely been in direct competition to them you, would think.
    The stall (trailer) was by the church just around the back of M&S off Charles Street and has been there since at least 2011 (used to lock my bike up when I could ride and walk by up until a few years ago) but yes, it's unlikely he'd have always been there and judging by his age could have had a long connection with the market so may well have been a young man when selling cockles back in the day to Michael and Xsnaggle.

I wish I'd spent more time chatting to him now.

I did chat to a fruit & veg guy on Queen Steet opposite Pret who thought he had an Uncle who played for Cardiff City but he couldn't remember his name - so not a classic anecdote

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    The stall (trailer) was by the church just around the back of M&S off Charles Street and has been there since at least 2011 (used to lock my bike up when I could ride and walk by up until a few years ago) but yes, it's unlikely he'd have always been there and judging by his age could have had a long connection with the market so may well have been a young man when selling cockles back in the day to Michael and Xsnaggle.

I did chat to a fruit & veg guy on Queen Steet opposite Pret who thought he had an Uncle who played for Cardiff City but he couldn't remember his name - so not a classic anecdote
    Steve Grapes?

When I used to wander past his stall he only ever had a few pieces of fish there....

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post

Church?? Church??? It’s a Cathedral

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    This is Keith THE Fish (also known as Keith Twamley according to the article ��)
    I've walked passed a few but didn't know hed been there do long
    Quite correct. My cousin’s middle name isn’t ‘the’.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Church?? Church??? It’s a Cathedral
    You're quite right, I am shamed.....though... if we're going to joust pedantry...it's The Metropolitan Cathedral Church of St David so it's a one all!

Do you remember when there were so many sailing-boats down Tiger Bay you could literally walk from one boat t'other?
    You're getting confused with The Battle Of Salamis

I have a recollection of the heady fragrance of fish, pipe tobacco and woodbines. I used to love going to the market with my dad too.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

His van was parked between the back of M&S and the side of the big church/cathedral in Charles Street

Quote Originally Posted by valleys caveman View Post
    Steve Grapes?
    I see what you did there! No, not him because I do know that the guy made 1 appearance and I think he came on as a sub but for the life of me I can’t remember his name. If I do, I will post it.

One of those stalls that I feel like I never passed when it was open.