+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Arise Sir Clive Charles , We always took loads to Chelsea

Arise Sir Clive Charles , We always took loads to Chelsea

Re: Arise Sir Clive Charles , We always took loads to Chelsea

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    What a strange little stand that was in the corner of the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by islandblue View Post
    What a strange little stand that was in the corner of the ground.
    Indeed it was

The whole ground was a dump compared to Highbury and White Hart Lane and Upton Park

Of course ninian was a dump but it was our dump

What a dump that ground was.
    Interesting to see that Wilkins was clearly wearing a gold chain around his neck (see the throw-in, about two minutes in). Strange, the things that were allowed back then.

Our first visit to Chelsea in the 70's. It poured with rain that day and we were on the old North Stand, an open end with a large number of Chelsea's 'North Stand Boys', on the high bit close to the West Stand, between us and the exit. This was the days when some of the coaches would stop off in London after the game and leave after 11.00pm when the pubs shut.

My memories of Chelsea always seem to be those light blue three wheeler disabled cars dotted around the pitch.

I was at that game in the Chelsea stand, with the same view as the camera. My mate and I nearly got stabbed on the way to the ground!

Clive Charles was an excellent full back, who was in the Division 3 team of the season a few months earlier. But he got an injury towards the end of the season and was never the same. he went to the USA the following year and made a name for himself as a top coach. RIP Clive.

Incidentally Graham Wilkins , the Chelsea full back who gave away the penalty, was born on the same day as me. You'll have to look it up as I'm not saying how old I am.