Quote Originally Posted by rich munn View Post
Tuerto there is no ceiling but this is a difficult subject - I play the keyboard and did all my formal learning when I was a teenager, getting to Grade V but after that played in a band and that was where I learned a lot more about playing. I am absolutely no expert and there are ways you can learn to play something which sounds good without being technically good at all. Then I more or less gave up playing for years.
However, during this Pandemic I bought an new Yamaha piano and I am relearning - I love it and play (very imperfectly) every day now. All sorts. But the reason that this is a difficult subject is that what might simple to me and the other poster who played in a band would probably seem impenetrable to a complete beginner.

But I do think that You Tube is your friend in this these days, and there are all sorts of lessons for beginners which with a little bit of effort could help you advance quickly to a place where you would enjoy playing and really want to keep it up. No instrument is easy just to pick up and play, but if you really want to do it you can. The good thing about a keyboard is that sounds more complete than say guitar or most other instruments. And even fairly basic electric keyboards have functions which really assist the learner.

Good luck, it's a great ambition.

Well said. You can do more with a keyboard than virtually anything else.

I teach piano and suggest to my kids to look on youtube for help when practicing. The more you play, the better you become, even if it doesn't happen immediately. My first driving instructor told me to drive as often as I could between lessons. One girl I teach, who was a total beginner 2 years ago and has been hampered by lockdown, is set to get an 'A' for her GCSE prac. I could claim a little credit but the truth is that she's worked hard at giving it a go and been motivated.

There are interactive apps out there that can point out where you're going wrong. Plenty of teachers who are teaching on zoom if you need help. I think, ultimately, it's about finding out what you fancy having a go at, what appeals, and go from there.