+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 31 of 31

Thread: I want to learn how to play a musical instrument.

  1. #21

    Re: I want to learn how to play a musical instrument.

    Quote Originally Posted by rich munn View Post
    Tuerto there is no ceiling but this is a difficult subject - I play the keyboard and did all my formal learning when I was a teenager, getting to Grade V but after that played in a band and that was where I learned a lot more about playing. I am absolutely no expert and there are ways you can learn to play something which sounds good without being technically good at all. Then I more or less gave up playing for years.
    However, during this Pandemic I bought an new Yamaha piano and I am relearning - I love it and play (very imperfectly) every day now. All sorts. But the reason that this is a difficult subject is that what might simple to me and the other poster who played in a band would probably seem impenetrable to a complete beginner.

    But I do think that You Tube is your friend in this these days, and there are all sorts of lessons for beginners which with a little bit of effort could help you advance quickly to a place where you would enjoy playing and really want to keep it up. No instrument is easy just to pick up and play, but if you really want to do it you can. The good thing about a keyboard is that sounds more complete than say guitar or most other instruments. And even fairly basic electric keyboards have functions which really assist the learner.

    Good luck, it's a great ambition.

    Well said. You can do more with a keyboard than virtually anything else.

    I teach piano and suggest to my kids to look on youtube for help when practicing. The more you play, the better you become, even if it doesn't happen immediately. My first driving instructor told me to drive as often as I could between lessons. One girl I teach, who was a total beginner 2 years ago and has been hampered by lockdown, is set to get an 'A' for her GCSE prac. I could claim a little credit but the truth is that she's worked hard at giving it a go and been motivated.

    There are interactive apps out there that can point out where you're going wrong. Plenty of teachers who are teaching on zoom if you need help. I think, ultimately, it's about finding out what you fancy having a go at, what appeals, and go from there.

  2. #22

    Re: I want to learn how to play a musical instrument.

    Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    As long as you've got the basics right then the ceiling can be more mental than technical, and depends what you want out of it. You may hit a point where you're happy with what you can do and not want to push it any further/there's certain things you're not particularly interested in.
    I don't know any other musicians and definitely no guitarists who are happy with what they can do. If you're serious about playing, there will always be players who are so good, you question whether you ! I suppose if you are lukewarm about learning to play an instrument, you may be happy to learn a few chords. But where is the satisfaction in that ?

  3. #23

    Re: I want to learn how to play a musical instrument.

    Meant to say "question whether you want to continue"

  4. #24

    Re: I want to learn how to play a musical instrument.

    Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    I've often found that it feels like I'm just trudging along with the guitar and then all of a sudden I've improved out of nowhere, then back to trudging along.

    Are there any keyboards you'd recommend? We had some in school and I wasn't bad, but they were never as cool as my mediocre guitar playing so I never pursued it
    Difficult to recommend one really.

    I have a korg sp200, which I bought in 2003. Its small and light enough to carry (just about!) and fit in a car. I've gigged and rehearsed with it hundreds and hundreds of times, its fallen to the floor at least a dozen times, it's been shipped to another continent, and still every key works perfectly.

    I've never had any need to research other digital pianos!

  5. #25

    Re: I want to learn how to play a musical instrument.

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Well said. You can do more with a keyboard than virtually anything else.

    I teach piano and suggest to my kids to look on youtube for help when practicing. The more you play, the better you become, even if it doesn't happen immediately. My first driving instructor told me to drive as often as I could between lessons. One girl I teach, who was a total beginner 2 years ago and has been hampered by lockdown, is set to get an 'A' for her GCSE prac. I could claim a little credit but the truth is that she's worked hard at giving it a go and been motivated.

    There are interactive apps out there that can point out where you're going wrong. Plenty of teachers who are teaching on zoom if you need help. I think, ultimately, it's about finding out what you fancy having a go at, what appeals, and go from there.
    I bought a Yamaha keyboard about 3 years ago with the ambition of learning piano and playing about with the 100’s of other things it can do....never really got into it as yet but my eldest who is now 9 started playing with it about a year ago, he’s had about 10 lessons and a few on zoom and can now play it pretty well. Played happy birthday to his grandma on her 70th last summer which made her day. Yesterday he sat down and started playing amazing grace, nailed it. Now he’s going to teach me how to play I guess if I’d never bought it for myself he’d never have got into it. Also got a nice acoustic guitar I bought 20 years ago with the same intention, my youngest has his eyes on that one.....

  6. #26

    Re: I want to learn how to play a musical instrument.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    I play guitar and keyboards.
    I believe becoming proficient in both is largely down to muscle memory - which means hours of practising finger patterns.
    Why not consider learning to play the harmonica? Not the blues harp (tho that may be an option) - but a proper harmonica. Not too expensive, and you can whip it out at the drop of a hat.
    Oh, and it's cool too....
    The Harmonica sounds good, and it sounds pretty good as well! I think i heard you rocking out when i was out your house. Very impressive, i must add, although i does explain the cracks in your ceiling

  7. #27

    Re: I want to learn how to play a musical instrument.

    Quote Originally Posted by rich munn View Post
    Tuerto there is no ceiling but this is a difficult subject - I play the keyboard and did all my formal learning when I was a teenager, getting to Grade V but after that played in a band and that was where I learned a lot more about playing. I am absolutely no expert and there are ways you can learn to play something which sounds good without being technically good at all. Then I more or less gave up playing for years.
    However, during this Pandemic I bought an new Yamaha piano and I am relearning - I love it and play (very imperfectly) every day now. All sorts. But the reason that this is a difficult subject is that what might simple to me and the other poster who played in a band would probably seem impenetrable to a complete beginner.

    But I do think that You Tube is your friend in this these days, and there are all sorts of lessons for beginners which with a little bit of effort could help you advance quickly to a place where you would enjoy playing and really want to keep it up. No instrument is easy just to pick up and play, but if you really want to do it you can. The good thing about a keyboard is that sounds more complete than say guitar or most other instruments. And even fairly basic electric keyboards have functions which really assist the learner.

    Good luck, it's a great ambition.

    Thank you, I'm leaning towards Keyboards. TLG will know this, but because i don't know much else, i equate everything to football. A very basic outlook on improving. Remember in school, there were kids who loved playing, spent hours practicing, yet never improved their touch, awareness etc. They sort of stayed the same. That was the question i was asking about a musical instrument, is it natural ability, like football Basically, however hard i try, i'm still going to be a bit naff because music just aint in my bones

  8. #28

    Re: I want to learn how to play a musical instrument.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    The Harmonica sounds good, and it sounds pretty good as well! I think i heard you rocking out when i was out your house. Very impressive, i must add, although i does explain the cracks in your ceiling
    I have crowds gathering in the street when I play.
    The traffic stops.
    I can hear the applause and the whistles from afar.
    The sessions are announced on FB and fans travel for miles to bask in the experience.
    I have to copy my autographs and hand 'em out or they'd never go away.

  9. #29

    Re: I want to learn how to play a musical instrument.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    That was the question i was asking about a musical instrument, is it natural ability, like football Basically, however hard i try, i'm still going to be a bit naff because music just aint in my bones
    It's not necessarily a natural ability. (see my comment about muscle memory) - most can be reasonably proficient musicians if they are prepared to put in the time/practice.
    I'd only add that with guitar, hand/finger size is relevant. Small fingers can be accommodated by a shorter scale length guitar and thin (modern C shape) necks, for example.
    For guitar and piano, I'd recommend a finger strengthener like the one linked. For 13 it made an incredible difference to my playing. I don't understand why they are not promoted more.

    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Planet-Wave...WW0P0Y015V8C29

  10. #30

    Re: I want to learn how to play a musical instrument.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Thank you, I'm leaning towards Keyboards. TLG will know this, but because i don't know much else, i equate everything to football. A very basic outlook on improving. Remember in school, there were kids who loved playing, spent hours practicing, yet never improved their touch, awareness etc. They sort of stayed the same. That was the question i was asking about a musical instrument, is it natural ability, like football Basically, however hard i try, i'm still going to be a bit naff because music just aint in my bones
    That's a nice point. Not all practice is equal. I could go ten pin bowling twice a week, but if I'm not analysing and improving my technique and thinking about what I'm doing, then my score isn't necessarily going to get much better.

    To give a football example, Frank Lampard could have been a run of the mill midfielder but he not only practiced hard but did it smart - only four players have scored more top flight goals than him in the last 30 years. It's easy to say that he had the natural talent to drift into the area at the right time to get his goals, but he wasn't doing that early in his career. I think he learned and developed it.

    So I don't think the fear of lacking natural ability should put anyone off. Motivation and desire to improve are much more important qualities.

  11. #31

    Re: I want to learn how to play a musical instrument.

    Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    I don't know any other musicians and definitely no guitarists who are happy with what they can do. If you're serious about playing, there will always be players who are so good, you question whether you ! I suppose if you are lukewarm about learning to play an instrument, you may be happy to learn a few chords. But where is the satisfaction in that ?
    That's what I meant when I said it depends what you want out of it. I know a few people who learned a bit and are relatively satisfied with it and don't have the time or inclination to push it much further. I could have been clearer.

    I've definitely been at the "questioning if I should continue point" plenty of times. I remember a lad in school who was an incredible guitar player, we'd play together and I'd just be sat there looking like an idiot thinking "what's the point?"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •