+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I want to learn how to play a musical instrument.

Re: I want to learn how to play a musical instrument.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    I play guitar and keyboards.
    I believe becoming proficient in both is largely down to muscle memory - which means hours of practising finger patterns.
    Why not consider learning to play the harmonica? Not the blues harp (tho that may be an option) - but a proper harmonica. Not too expensive, and you can whip it out at the drop of a hat.
    Oh, and it's cool too....
    The Harmonica sounds good, and it sounds pretty good as well! I think i heard you rocking out when i was out your house. Very impressive, i must add, although i does explain the cracks in your ceiling

Quote Originally Posted by rich munn View Post
    Tuerto there is no ceiling but this is a difficult subject - I play the keyboard and did all my formal learning when I was a teenager, getting to Grade V but after that played in a band and that was where I learned a lot more about playing. I am absolutely no expert and there are ways you can learn to play something which sounds good without being technically good at all. Then I more or less gave up playing for years.
    However, during this Pandemic I bought an new Yamaha piano and I am relearning - I love it and play (very imperfectly) every day now. All sorts. But the reason that this is a difficult subject is that what might simple to me and the other poster who played in a band would probably seem impenetrable to a complete beginner.

But I do think that You Tube is your friend in this these days, and there are all sorts of lessons for beginners which with a little bit of effort could help you advance quickly to a place where you would enjoy playing and really want to keep it up. No instrument is easy just to pick up and play, but if you really want to do it you can. The good thing about a keyboard is that sounds more complete than say guitar or most other instruments. And even fairly basic electric keyboards have functions which really assist the learner.

Good luck, it's a great ambition.

Thank you, I'm leaning towards Keyboards. TLG will know this, but because i don't know much else, i equate everything to football. A very basic outlook on improving. Remember in school, there were kids who loved playing, spent hours practicing, yet never improved their touch, awareness etc. They sort of stayed the same. That was the question i was asking about a musical instrument, is it natural ability, like football Basically, however hard i try, i'm still going to be a bit naff because music just aint in my bones

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    The Harmonica sounds good, and it sounds pretty good as well! I think i heard you rocking out when i was out your house. Very impressive, i must add, although i does explain the cracks in your ceiling
    I have crowds gathering in the street when I play.
    The traffic stops.
    I can hear the applause and the whistles from afar.
    The sessions are announced on FB and fans travel for miles to bask in the experience.
    I have to copy my autographs and hand 'em out or they'd never go away.

That was the question i was asking about a musical instrument, is it natural ability, like football Basically, however hard i try, i'm still going to be a bit naff because music just aint in my bones
    It's not necessarily a natural ability. (see my comment about muscle memory) - most can be reasonably proficient musicians if they are prepared to put in the time/practice.
    I'd only add that with guitar, hand/finger size is relevant. Small fingers can be accommodated by a shorter scale length guitar and thin (modern C shape) necks, for example.
    For guitar and piano, I'd recommend a finger strengthener like the one linked. For £13 it made an incredible difference to my playing. I don't understand why they are not promoted more.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Planet-Wave...WW0P0Y015V8C29

Thank you, I'm leaning towards Keyboards. TLG will know this, but because i don't know much else, i equate everything to football. A very basic outlook on improving. Remember in school, there were kids who loved playing, spent hours practicing, yet never improved their touch, awareness etc. They sort of stayed the same. That was the question i was asking about a musical instrument, is it natural ability, like football Basically, however hard i try, i'm still going to be a bit naff because music just aint in my bones
    That's a nice point. Not all practice is equal. I could go ten pin bowling twice a week, but if I'm not analysing and improving my technique and thinking about what I'm doing, then my score isn't necessarily going to get much better.

To give a football example, Frank Lampard could have been a run of the mill midfielder but he not only practiced hard but did it smart - only four players have scored more top flight goals than him in the last 30 years. It's easy to say that he had the natural talent to drift into the area at the right time to get his goals, but he wasn't doing that early in his career. I think he learned and developed it.

So I don't think the fear of lacking natural ability should put anyone off. Motivation and desire to improve are much more important qualities.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    I don't know any other musicians and definitely no guitarists who are happy with what they can do. If you're serious about playing, there will always be players who are so good, you question whether you ! I suppose if you are lukewarm about learning to play an instrument, you may be happy to learn a few chords. But where is the satisfaction in that ?
    That's what I meant when I said it depends what you want out of it. I know a few people who learned a bit and are relatively satisfied with it and don't have the time or inclination to push it much further. I could have been clearer.

I've definitely been at the "questioning if I should continue point" plenty of times. I remember a lad in school who was an incredible guitar player, we'd play together and I'd just be sat there looking like an idiot thinking "what's the point?"