Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
We don't really have any other options. The midfield desperately needs work done to it in the summer and has done for a while, it really is the glaring weakness in our squad
Oh for a Barry Bannon, or even an Aidan McGeady. Johnny Williams is a show pony and always has been, Ralls is by far the best of the rest but only if doing a workhorse job not requiring any real skill, Bacuna runs about, Vaulks' ball skills are non-existent. Pack turns away from anyone near to him and passes back or risks losing the ball, which is why he is so negative.

None of our defenders can pass, to an extent that is embarrassing.

Ojo has proved he is not up to it on any regular basis, Wilson undoubtedly has skill but like Jason Bowen of old is only any good when we are on top. Moore could be excellent but has been overworked beyond sense.

I am firmly of the view that this being a results game McCarthy deserved a contract, since we were on the verge of being sucked into a relegation struggle, and you can see why. Sheffield Wednesday have a squad that is far more talented than ours, apart from Patterson who just happened to hit an unbelievable volley (for him) and played a very good pass today, which it took him about a dozen games to achieve when he was with us.

I am encouraged by the use of younger players, but disconcerted by McCarthy's overall approach especially to substitutions and shape.

I am glad it is the end of the season and will be hoping for the best.