+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Central midfield

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Central midfield

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    And the others?
    We don't really have any other options. The midfield desperately needs work done to it in the summer and has done for a while, it really is the glaring weakness in our squad

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    We don't really have any other options. The midfield desperately needs work done to it in the summer and has done for a while, it really is the glaring weakness in our squad
    Oh for a Barry Bannon, or even an Aidan McGeady. Johnny Williams is a show pony and always has been, Ralls is by far the best of the rest but only if doing a workhorse job not requiring any real skill, Bacuna runs about, Vaulks' ball skills are non-existent. Pack turns away from anyone near to him and passes back or risks losing the ball, which is why he is so negative.

None of our defenders can pass, to an extent that is embarrassing.

Ojo has proved he is not up to it on any regular basis, Wilson undoubtedly has skill but like Jason Bowen of old is only any good when we are on top. Moore could be excellent but has been overworked beyond sense.

I am firmly of the view that this being a results game McCarthy deserved a contract, since we were on the verge of being sucked into a relegation struggle, and you can see why. Sheffield Wednesday have a squad that is far more talented than ours, apart from Patterson who just happened to hit an unbelievable volley (for him) and played a very good pass today, which it took him about a dozen games to achieve when he was with us.

I am encouraged by the use of younger players, but disconcerted by McCarthy's overall approach especially to substitutions and shape.

I am glad it is the end of the season and will be hoping for the best.

Quote Originally Posted by rich munn View Post
    None of our defenders can pass, to an extent that is embarrassing.
    Ciaron Brown is taking this aspect of City's play to new levels. He is so poor with the ball at his feet that it's genuinely incredible he's playing at Championship level.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Ciaron Brown is taking this aspect of City's play to new levels. He is so poor with the ball at his feet that it's genuinely incredible he's playing at Championship level.
    Glen Williams of Wales Online always singles Brown out for criticism on that front, but I don’t get it, he’s no worse than two or three of his team mates (eg Flint and Nelson, while Vaulks, Ralls and Bacuna’s first touch has been way below what you’d expect from a Championship midfield player this season.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Glen Williams of Wales Online always singles Brown out for criticism on that front, but I don’t get it.
    It’s simple. He’s consistently awful in terms of controlling and passing the football. It’s no more complicated than that.

Others are also poor in those respects but, to me at least, Brown looks comfortably the worst of the current crop. He appears outclassed at this level.

It’s simple. He’s consistently awful in terms of controlling and passing the football. It’s no more complicated than that.

Others are also poor in those respects but, to me at least, Brown looks comfortably the worst of the current crop. He appears outclassed at this level.
    He did last night, but I don't see too much difference between him and others in his position before that - we've had the 19/20 version of Flint playing for us lately and Nelson's played poorly since he came back. I just think that the deep rooted problems among the senior squad are too widespread for us to be singling one individual out as being worse than everyone else,

I watch Shrewsbuy Town play occasionally and I have no doubt Ciaron Brown would not get in their team and they are 17th in league one. For him to be doing well in Scotland the mind boggles at what the standard is like outside the big two up there. You would think to be a professional footballer even a centre half you should be able to make a simple pass to a player in your own team.