+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 38 of 38

Thread: Central midfield

  1. #21
    International jon1959's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Sheffield - out of Roath
    Posts
    11,117

    Re: Central midfield

    Quote Originally Posted by olderblue View Post
    His use of the open space 50 yards ahead of him was brilliant
    Shame really as I'd heard good things about him from pals north of the border, I was hoping he was going to come back and really grab his chance.
    From what I've seen I can't see how he's likely to be here for next season
    https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/ex...over-new-deal/

  2. #22

    Re: Central midfield

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardiff Ultra View Post
    I think the OP is a little harsh. Id say that Vaulks, Bacuna and Ralls are all perfectly good Championship midfielders, the problem is that they are all more or less of a type (grafters) so playing them together is a recipe for a lack of creativity and inability to keep possession.

    Theoretically that's where Pack should come. He should be the one playing the Joe Allen / Stephen McPhail role, the play should flow through him and he should be the be the link between defence and attack. In truth though weve seen precious little of that from him.

    Personally I hate the 3-4-3 formation. It neutralises the wingers because they have to tuck in to accommodate the wing backs and doesn't give you the option of playing a number ten. I can see why McCarthys gone with it because the only creative midfielder we have thats worth anything is Tomlin who's had a dreadful run with injuries but playing Bacuna as one of the from three? **** right off.

    That though had been a glaring problem at the club for literally years. Weve barely signed any creative midfielders, probably due to the types of manager that weve had and the fact that we dont have a director football. Perhaps the systemic problems at the club need addressing before the endless hiring and firing of managers.
    In my opinion, even if we had two ball playing Bannan types in our midfield then any of the others we have as a holding midfielder would still stand out as a weak link, they simply cannot pass the ball

  3. #23

    Re: Central midfield

    I think a lot of the stuff levelled at Ralls is pretty harsh, he's played a lot of games at this level and generally been pretty successful. If he were shit he wouldn't have been an important part of a side that's been top half Championship at least throughout his time here

    That being said, this has certainly not been his best season

  4. #24

    Re: Central midfield

    Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    I think a lot of the stuff levelled at Ralls is pretty harsh, he's played a lot of games at this level and generally been pretty successful. If he were shit he wouldn't have been an important part of a side that's been top half Championship at least throughout his time here

    That being said, this has certainly not been his best season
    He's one-paced, poor at passing, erratic when in possession, and isn't blessed with a good footballing brain... apart from that I agree with you.

  5. #25

    Re: Central midfield

    Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Ciaron Brown is taking this aspect of City's play to new levels. He is so poor with the ball at his feet that it's genuinely incredible he's playing at Championship level.
    I watch Shrewsbuy Town play occasionally and I have no doubt Ciaron Brown would not get in their team and they are 17th in league one. For him to be doing well in Scotland the mind boggles at what the standard is like outside the big two up there. You would think to be a professional footballer even a centre half you should be able to make a simple pass to a player in your own team.

  6. #26

    Re: Central midfield

    Well probably offer him a 5 year deal...

  7. #27

    Re: Central midfield

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardiff Ultra View Post
    I think the OP is a little harsh. Id say that Vaulks, Bacuna and Ralls are all perfectly good Championship midfielders, the problem is that they are all more or less of a type (grafters) so playing them together is a recipe for a lack of creativity and inability to keep possession.

    Theoretically that's where Pack should come. He should be the one playing the Joe Allen / Stephen McPhail role, the play should flow through him and he should be the be the link between defence and attack. In truth though weve seen precious little of that from him.

    Personally I hate the 3-4-3 formation. It neutralises the wingers because they have to tuck in to accommodate the wing backs and doesn't give you the option of playing a number ten. I can see why McCarthys gone with it because the only creative midfielder we have thats worth anything is Tomlin who's had a dreadful run with injuries but playing Bacuna as one of the from three? **** right off.

    That though had been a glaring problem at the club for literally years. Weve barely signed any creative midfielders, probably due to the types of manager that weve had and the fact that we dont have a director football. Perhaps the systemic problems at the club need addressing before the endless hiring and firing of managers.
    This is exactly how I see it too. These players didn't get slated in the same way at other clubs as they do here because the blend of players around them and the job they were asked to do differed. We lack someone who can create time for themselves, dictate tempo, always be available for the ball and pick a pass.

  8. #28

    Re: Central midfield

    Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    Can anybody confirm what they do or if any of them do anything well?

    It is ridiculous how we have let it get to this stage.

    They can't pass, can't create anything and as it showed earlier are not that great at stopping attacks coming at them. What do they do?

    Would you keep any of them if their contract was up this summer?
    At last,,a man talking sense. Totally agree. We haven't had a decent midfield for years

  9. #29

    Re: Central midfield

    Quote Originally Posted by olderblue View Post
    His use of the open space 50 yards ahead of him was brilliant
    Shame really as I'd heard good things about him from pals north of the border, I was hoping he was going to come back and really grab his chance.
    From what I've seen I can't see how he's likely to be here for next season
    Given the financial situation of many clubs, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him here next season. I think it'll be a very quiet transfer window for almost everyone.

  10. #30

    Re: Central midfield

    Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Given the financial situation of many clubs, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him here next season. I think it'll be a very quiet transfer window for almost everyone.
    I doubt that. To use Newport County as an example, they’ve got twenty one players out of contract this summer - that’s an extreme case, but I think there’ll be plenty of clubs scouring the free transfer market while trying to cash in on their most sellable assets.

  11. #31

    Re: Central midfield

    Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I doubt that. To use Newport County as an example, they’ve got twenty one players out of contract this summer - that’s an extreme case, but I think there’ll be plenty of clubs scouring the free transfer market while trying to cash in on their most sellable assets.
    Is that Sheehan amongst them? he didn't look terrible for Wales

  12. #32

    Re: Central midfield

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardiff Ultra View Post
    I think the OP is a little harsh. Id say that Vaulks, Bacuna and Ralls are all perfectly good Championship midfielders, the problem is that they are all more or less of a type (grafters) so playing them together is a recipe for a lack of creativity and inability to keep possession..... etc....
    This hits the nail on the head. They aren't poor midfielders - they are both pretty good at what they do. The problem is what's going on around them. The last few games, we have had two stand-in full-backs, plus one stand-in centre back. Against Wednesday, we also had two stand-in forwards. What did we expect?

    But again, both Williams and Bacuna were out of position - if it had been those two in place of Vaulks and Pack, with Wilson and Murphy alongside Moore, we might have seen a different game.

    McCarthy has his injury issues at the moment, but he's been guilty of taking his foot off the throttle, when playing two 'lesser' sides. The full back issues couldn't be helped, but he rested his best forward line, and we paid the price.

  13. #33

    Re: Central midfield

    Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Is that Sheehan amongst them? he didn't look terrible for Wales
    Yes he is, seems like he’ll be looking to move unless County go up.

  14. #34

    Re: Central midfield

    If Ralls was 3 stone overweight and barely got himself fit, hed be idolised on here.

  15. #35

    Re: Central midfield

    Ralls is a good player at this level.

    speaking of Central midfielders who can pass Alex mowett and emiliano marcondes are both out of contract in the summer too

  16. #36

    Re: Central midfield

    Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Ralls is a good player at this level.

    speaking of Central midfielders who can pass Alex mowett and emiliano marcondes are both out of contract in the summer too
    He hasn't been this season. Even if you disregard the games when he has played out of position, a lot of his performances have been mediocre. Vaulks has done a better job in pretty much the same role.

  17. #37

    Re: Central midfield

    Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    He hasn't been this season. Even if you disregard the games when he has played out of position, a lot of his performances have been mediocre. Vaulks has done a better job in pretty much the same role.
    Bar 4 games under Harris, and the early spell of MM none of our midfielders have played well consistently. Vaulks has been absolutely horrendous recently. Ralls has had seasons where he's played well, at his best he has drive and energy. I'd say he's the best we've got but they're all really similar bar Pack, who is glacially slow. Ralls has had his worst season during his time at the club, however. Doesn't help he's picked up some injuries. In his best season (17/18), he was our best CM by a distance and we really, really missed him when he didn't play.

  18. #38

    Re: Central midfield

    Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Bar 4 games under Harris, and the early spell of MM none of our midfielders have played well consistently. Vaulks has been absolutely horrendous recently. Ralls has had seasons where he's played well, at his best he has drive and energy. I'd say he's the best we've got but they're all really similar bar Pack, who is glacially slow. Ralls has had his worst season during his time at the club, however. Doesn't help he's picked up some injuries. In his best season (17/18), he was our best CM by a distance and we really, really missed him when he didn't play.
    I'm usually the one defending Ralls on here, but I was trying to think of games this season in which he's made a difference for us and I could hardly think of any. Vaulks has been poor for the last few games, but I still think that he's contributed more than Ralls overall this season. It's also strange that Bacuna has rarely featured in central midfield - Harris had to use him as a right-back and McCarthy has decided that he's an attacking midfielder.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •