+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Ralls at fullback

Ralls at fullback

Never ever, ever again please.

Hoilett should have started in that position

Re: Ralls at fullback

Since Ralls has been shoe horned back into the team it’s all turned to shit.

I think he can do a job at fullback but wingback is a whole different position. At wingback he needs to add the width. Madness when Hoilett could give us so much.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    I think he can do a job at fullback but wingback is a whole different position. At wingback he needs to add the width. Madness when Hoilett could give us so much.
    Hoilett has been dogshit for best part of 2 seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Hoilett has been dogshit for best part of 2 seasons.
    Disagree and I think he would give a hell of a lot more at wingback than Ralls. The minimum a fullback has to do is give energy and width. Hoilett can provide both and Ralls one. How many times did Ralls end up central today with no width. Its comman sense.

Disagree and I think he would give a hell of a lot more at wingback than Ralls. The minimum a fullback has to do is give energy and width. Hoilett can provide both and Ralls one. How many times did Ralls end up central today with no width. Its comman sense.
    Hoilett give you energy? Behave. He’s been playing half arsed for 2 seasons.

Again don't agree, he has always given his all and protected his fullbacks well. No reason he couldn't play at wingback.

Going to say that 4th of July 2020 was Hoilett's last good game for us after proving a very effective player post-lockdown football. He's not seemed that good this season but we're still 3 months off from being able to say he's had a down calendar year.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Going to say that 4th of July 2020 was Hoilett's last good game for us after proving a very effective player post-lockdown football. He's not seemed that good this season but we're still 3 months off from being able to say he's had a down calendar year.
    The promotion season he had 20 goal involvements.

The 3 seasons since he’s managed 18 in total.

He’s turned to shite. His legs have gone and yet people now calling for him to play wing back. Behave.

He’s out of contract at end of the season and hopefully the club will release him. He’s lived off the promotion season for too long. Same goes for Ralls.

Again don't agree, he has always given his all and protected his fullbacks well. No reason he couldn't play at wingback.
    His legs have gone.

The promotion season he had 20 goal involvements.

The 3 seasons since he’s managed 18 in total.

He’s turned to shite. His legs have gone and yet people now calling for him to play wing back. Behave.

He’s out of contract at end of the season and hopefully the club will release him. He’s lived off the promotion season for too long. Same goes for Ralls.
    Play wingback as a last option over Ralls not because he is a wing back but because I also think a winger who always seemed to have a decent record of tracking back would offer more for us there than a centre midfielder who even in his prime probably isn't as quick as the "legs gone" Hoilett.

He certainly isn't the player he was of course and I also think he will be gone at the end of the season which is possibly part of why he isn't being used even as a last resort.

Season is over now, I'd like a few more youngsters thrown in and given actual time like Sang has.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Play wingback as a last option over Ralls not because he is a wing back but because I also think a winger who always seemed to have a decent record of tracking back would offer more for us there than a centre midfielder who even in his prime probably isn't as quick as the "legs gone" Hoilett.

He certainly isn't the player he was of course and I also think he will be gone at the end of the season which is possibly part of why he isn't being used even as a last resort.

Season is over now, I'd like a few more youngsters thrown in and given actual time like Sang has.
    There are other options ie Ciaron Brown who played left back for Livingston or play Perry NG there, althought im not a fan of playing full backs on the wrong side he is actually a full / wing back and has done fantastic for us thus far.

It doesnt have to be a straight choice between Ralls or Hoilett.

There are other options ie Ciaron Brown who played left back for Livingston or play Perry NG there, althought im not a fan of playing full backs on the wrong side he is actually a full / wing back and has done fantastic for us thus far.

I'd like to see Dan Martin given a try - he's quick and good going forward, if he does make the step up then we would have him an Joel Bagan covering LWB next season, meaning its a position we would no longer be having to sign anyone for and we would presumably be saving a fortune in wages. If he doesn't make it then we will what, finish slightly more mid table than currently?

And lets get Ng back in the team on the right.
    Wuldn't mind seeing Sang given a go in the middle either.

I would go for

Phillips Keeper

Three from Morrison, Flint, Nelson and Brown centre backs

Ng and Martin wing backs

Sang and Pack CM

Wilson, Murphy and Moore up front, with Collwill and Watters being brought on earlier than 75 minutes to get them some game time as well.

Ciaron Brown had a shocker last night playing at left/wing back in the second half last night. He was even worse playing more centrally in the first half. Despite having extensive league experience he hasn't done anything to show he is good enough for the Championship. I understand the clamour for youngsters. Just because they are young doesn't mean they will be good. However, if we use other youngsters in other positions fans will have to realise that that will inevitably confine us to being a struggling side for the foreseeable future at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    Ciaron Brown had a shocker last night playing at left/wing back in the second half last night. He was even worse playing more centrally in the first half. Despite having extensive league experience he hasn't done anything to show he is good enough for the Championship. I understand the clamour for youngsters. Just because they are young doesn't mean they will be good. However, if we use other youngsters in other positions fans will have to realise that that will inevitably confine us to being a struggling side for the foreseeable future at least.
    We still have too many players past thirty or very close to it. They aren’t going to get any better now and are far more likely to get worse. Therefore, although I take the point that putting younger players in will need a lowering of expectations as we face up to possible relegation troubles, I think the same would apply, and would be a lot more costly, if we kept on with many of the same players we’ve had here in recent seasons.

Ralls played full back for us a few years back and was Ok. Now though he is awful, keeps getting drawn in to the middle or pushing forward in to his midfield position, and therefore out of position.

Hoilett has not played a League game since McCarthy arrived so it looks like he may not play another. We are out of the picture for Play Offs now, so play a few youngsters for experience.

Brown is a no for me, left back maybe but wing back no. We need the width, many Wingers have been converted. I think it was us that turned Neil Ardley from a Winger to a fullback.

There has to be a player who can offer more in that position than Ralls.

Brown is a no for me, left back maybe but wing back no. We need the width, many Wingers have been converted. I think it was us that turned Neil Ardley from a Winger to a fullback.

There has to be a player who can offer more in that position than Ralls.
    Wing back is a young mans game. A nearly 31 year old Hoilett, who looks increasingly more knackered with each passing season, is not the answer.

Brown came on for Bagan at LB recently and was awful. So that clearly isn’t an option.

He needs to prove himself at CB as well.

Wing back is a young mans game. A nearly 31 year old Hoilett, who looks increasingly more knackered with each passing season, is not the answer.
    I agree it could be a younger players position. Hoilett certainly isn't the solution but imo could be a short term fix ahead of someone like Ralls. I'm sure there are other wide players other than Hoilett who could do it.