+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The real "Cardiff Way" ruthlessly exposed in Hillsborough humiliation.

The real "Cardiff Way" ruthlessly exposed in Hillsborough humiliation.

Reports we're under a transfer embargo emerge on night City squad's transfer valuation plunges.

http://mauveandyellowarmy.net/

Re: The real "Cardiff Way" ruthlessly exposed in Hillsborough humiliation.

Most sides playing three at the back aim to have at least two comfortable in possession so they can help initiate moves but we only have one CB capable of playing with the ball (Morrison) and last couple of games we haven't had any. Most teams that play 3-4-3 have a two in midfield who work hard not to give up space but move the ball around quickly and effectively and we have....well, you know. Think everyone on here had concerns about starting line-up pre-game, Bacuna has played well offensively so my concern was primarily giving up so much space defensively without gaining any control of the ball, and while some raised concerns about delay to use the bench again since this time I'm happy with MM explanation that he wanted starting players to show some fight.

Nigel Pearson made the point yesterday that he's willing to blood young players but doing so into a negative, losing environment can have longer term impact on their careers. I am not calling for us to take it to the extreme on the pitch after such bad loss but this season appears done and with 6 games left it's time to start thinking about what we want to be during the 2022-2023 season.

Think some of the complaints made this season are likely to be raised again in 2021-2022 but as long as we stay up and build for year after that's manageable. That means identifying the right mix of leaders and using them to help bring though our exciting youth prospects and aiming for a more balanced style as well - Fulham weren't sexy last year under Parker but they were tight at the back, capable on the ball and ruthless in front of goal. Having such an experienced manager should help ride any rough patches.

2022-2023 season really isn't that far away so getting the summer window, even with difficulties since rumoured, and next year right should ensure the best chance of a run at promotion for that critical season.

There was a season under Russell Slade when, with a similar number of games to go and no chance of the play offs, he had the chance to give some younger players a run out but didn't. MM and TC know what the current senior players can do so it would be nice to see players like Colwill, Evans, Patten, Davies and Bowen getting some reasonable game time (not 5 - 10 mins) in the last few games but we will wait to see if this happens. If they don't do it then it is definitely a missed opportunity but we are talking about Cardiff City.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Bill_Irwin_Fan View Post
    There was a season under Russell Slade when, with a similar number of games to go and no chance of the play offs, he had the chance to give some younger players a run out but didn't. MM and TC know what the current senior players can do so it would be nice to see players like Colwill, Evans, Patten, Davies and Bowen getting some reasonable game time (not 5 - 10 mins) in the last few games but we will wait to see if this happens. If they don't do it then it is definitely a missed opportunity but we are talking about Cardiff City.
    That’s what I would like to see and, if there is anything to this embargo story, then, once the chance of promotion has gone (for myself, I believe the nature of our defeat last night means it’s gone now), it would make sense to get youngsters in the shop window so to speak. I say that because, firstly, we don’t have many senior players that would fetch the sort of fees we would need for them if we were looking to come out an embargo (I also feel that Covid will be responsible for a fall in the size of transfer fees which could see us getting nowhere near what we might have thought we would for someone like, say, Keiffer Moore).

Secondly, my guess is that prices for players in the 19/21 age range would hold up.more than they would for those older than that. Therefore, for example, if the stories about Premier League interest in Kieron Evans before he signed his new contract with us were true, then you’d like to think that him coming in and doing well in a few games before the of the season would see his value rising quickly.

Although I agree with much of what Surge says, I think now is the ideal time to blood a few youngsters if we assume promotion is now beyond us because there won’t be much pressure on anyone coming in - there would be if we waited until the beginning of next season to include one or two Academy products, but, if they did break into the first team in 21/22 with the experience of a small number of matches at the back end of this season behind them, then, hopefully, that pressure wouldn’t be as great.

I haven't seen the story about a transfer embargo, but if it is true , and affecting other clubs that is a worrying sign for the future. I presume it's down to losses incurred? No income, heavy expenditure and the EFL want to impose a transfer embargo? Doesn't seem fair.

Mind you, for the last few years it's probably a blessing the was City managers have spent money. Doesn't help McCarthy though, and gives the popportunity for our 'promising' youngsters to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Bill_Irwin_Fan View Post
    To be fair to Russel Slade I think there was no one in the youth set up good enough to play in the first team none of them were ever going to be championship players.Have any from that era gone on to anything better. Things are much better now and it would not surprise me if two of three of those you name could make it at championship level.

Now we are out of the playoffs it's a no brainer for me to give the youngsters an opportunity seeing how promising they are. My worry is that McCarthy is a stubborn cautious manager who will persist with the likes of Williams and Bacuna rather than play the likes of Colwill. He will then bring them on for the last ten minutes for show. For me he could have played Colwill form the start last night and he would have done a better job than most of our midfield.