+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Barnsley, by way of comparison.

Barnsley, by way of comparison.

Anyone watched them ? They illustrate just how awful in footballing terms this City squad is. Bags of effort & commitment to put 'runs' together, but however much you coach, instruct, motivate, they just don't have enough footballing ability to play fast, flowing football, break down defences, etc.

So why Barnsley ? Because they have a squad of players that is arguably - on paper- far below City's. Yet the manager has got them playing exciting, fast flowing football, where the ball is played quickly in a forward direction. It's non-stop, and whilst they don't have any particularly extravagant footballers, they are great to watch and getting results.

Sadly however, their players are light years better that ours. Ralls, Bacuna, Pack, Vaulks, Nelson, Flint, Brown. There's 7 of our 10 outfield players who have never learnt how to receive and quickly pass a ball to a teammate. Some clubs may get by with 1 in their side, we started yesterday with 7.

MM has achieved no more - actually less - that Neil Harris. In playing terms, we're in a absolute mess..

Re: Barnsley, by way of comparison.

Barnsley have been investing in their youth for quite a few seasons now, and it is now starting to pay off.
    they could keep the same side together now for the next 3 seasons and they would still be younger on average than us, and they would naturally get stronger as more players enter their peak years, whereas a large chunk of ours are on the decline already.
    I would genuinely question now whether we have the stronger squad.
    plus they've signed really well - Darryl Dike they have on loan is being increasingly linked to top half premier League teams.

We played Barnsley on Friday. They played very little football. Very hard working, high and hard press, long throw ins into the box, lots of niggly fouls. Technically very limited. They have done very well but it doesn’t say much for all the teams who will finish below them and that may well include Reading.

They would be hammered in the PL.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Anyone watched them ? They illustrate just how awful in footballing terms this City squad is. Bags of effort & commitment to put 'runs' together, but however much you coach, instruct, motivate, they just don't have enough footballing ability to play fast, flowing football, break down defences, etc.

So why Barnsley ? Because they have a squad of players that is arguably - on paper- far below City's. Yet the manager has got them playing exciting, fast flowing football, where the ball is played quickly in a forward direction. It's non-stop, and whilst they don't have any particularly extravagant footballers, they are great to watch and getting results.

Sadly however, their players are light years better that ours. Ralls, Bacuna, Pack, Vaulks, Nelson, Flint, Brown. There's 7 of our 10 outfield players who have never learnt how to receive and quickly pass a ball to a teammate. Some clubs may get by with 1 in their side, we started yesterday with 7.

MM has achieved no more - actually less - that Neil Harris. In playing terms, we're in a absolute mess..
    Cost pennies no doubt, will Tan ever properly invest in youth? No doubt their wage bill is half of ours.....

Barnsley are certainly not great to watch. They have their own ‘moneyball’ system that’s working for them but it could never be classed as great to watch, unless of course you subscribe to ‘winning is all that matters’.

The comments on this thread confirm my impression that Barnsley aren’t a particularly entertaining team - their passing stats are similar to ours and I’d say the two teams play in ways that aren’t too different from one and other. Barnsley look more energetic and play with more intensity than us I’d say, their attacking game is less reliant on a big centre forward and they don’t look as if they’ll give you the ball at any moment like we do.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    The comments on this thread confirm my impression that Barnsley aren’t a particularly entertaining team - their passing stats are similar to ours and I’d say the two teams play in ways that aren’t too different from one and other. Barnsley look more energetic and play with more intensity than us I’d say, their attacking game is less reliant on a big centre forward and they don’t look as if they’ll give you the ball at any moment like we do.

Teams have struggled to work them out but once they do it’s all over. We went long ball on Friday finding loads of space in behind them. That is the way to play against them imo.

When Warnock took the Bluebirds up into the PL , they weren’t exactly great to watch either.The Cardiff fans couldn’t care less about the style of football because the long ball game was so effective, and they were winning matches. Ironic that you should criticise another team’s style for the same reason. I don’t think Barnsley fans will be complaining too much right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    Barnsley are certainly not great to watch. They have their own ‘moneyball’ system that’s working for them but it could never be classed as great to watch, unless of course you subscribe to ‘winning is all that matters’.

Not watched them enough but the game or two I have seen their pressing impressed me. Hunted the ball in numbers for almost the entire match.

We started to do that well and then have fallen away from it massively last few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Not watched them enough but the game or two I have seen their pressing impressed me. Hunted the ball in numbers for almost the entire match.

We started to do that well and then have fallen away from it massively last few weeks.
    Barnsley make full use of their bench and bring on subs early to keep the energy levels up. We don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    We played Barnsley on Friday. They played very little football. Very hard working, high and hard press, long throw ins into the box, lots of niggly fouls. Technically very limited. They have done very well but it doesn’t say much for all the teams who will finish below them and that may well include Reading.

They would be hammered in the PL.
    True, and yes. But from what I've seen their 'brand' of direct football is a lot more enjoyable to watch than ours. Point is, City wouldn't be able to play like that with this squad.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivortheengine View Post
    When Warnock took the Bluebirds up into the PL , they weren’t exactly great to watch either.The Cardiff fans couldn’t care less about the style of football because the long ball game was so effective, and they were winning matches. Ironic that you should criticise another team’s style for the same reason. I don’t think Barnsley fans will be complaining too much right now.
    I think memory fades and plays tricks. We weren't the best team to watch when we went up but compared to what we're having to watch now we were like Man City.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptyDdhxcSVA

How long have we not had a very good midfield. I remember looking at teams like Birmingham City when we played them years ago thinking our midfield are light years behind them.
    And we have the same crap midfield type of players playing for Cardiff ever since the days that Birmingham were a top team in the championship.

True, and yes. But from what I've seen their 'brand' of direct football is a lot more enjoyable to watch than ours. Point is, City wouldn't be able to play like that with this squad.
    You’re probably right although I think you have technically better players than Barnsley.

Remember Barnsley had to go to Brentford and deny them
    Promotion to save themselves last season.
    Had they gone down, their style and youthfulness wouldn’t even be up for discussion on here.
    They have had a remarkable turnaround to be fair and deserving of a play off finish.

Quote Originally Posted by uncle bob View Post
    How long have we not had a very good midfield. I remember looking at teams like Birmingham City when we played them years ago thinking our midfield are light years behind them.
    And we have the same crap midfield type of players playing for Cardiff ever since the days that Birmingham were a top team in the championship.
    We were spoilt having Whitt’s here for so long and, although Gunnar was a similar type player to those we have now, he was better than all of them.

We were spoilt having Whitt’s here for so long and, although Gunnar was a similar type player to those we have now, he was better than all of them.
    Gunnarson. Whittingham. What I would call top Championship players, and better. Light years from what we have now.

Quote Originally Posted by uncle bob View Post
    The last promotion midfield was way,way better than this current one, and even they were probably no more than an average midfield that season.

Surely a decent manager improves players , improves the team ?

I wanted a young forward thinking manager , someone who would have restructured Cardiff City to a more footballing side .

I know that is easier said than done , look what we have now ......

Quote Originally Posted by Ivortheengine View Post
    I made no comment on whether I cared one way or another?... all I wrote was that it’s not great to watch

Oh for a Steve McPhail.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    Surely a decent manager improves players , improves the team ?

I wanted a young forward thinking manager , someone who would have restructured Cardiff City to a more footballing side .

I know that is easier said than done , look what we have now ......
    Our cry baby fans won't give a young forward thinking manager time.

Of all of the playing styles in the division, Barnsley’s is the closest to City’s. high press, move front to back quickly, happy for the other team to have possession. I think Ismael is benefiting from the groundwork that Struber did which got him the job at NYRB