+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Club placed under a transfer embargo - Statement

Ten Championship clubs, including us, were placed under a transfer embargo according to the Daily Mail.

Can't post a link, but there's a quote in the article about Armageddon coming.

Re: Ten Championship clubs, including us, were placed under a transfer embargo according to the Daily Mail.

Placed under an embargo when?

Re: Ten Championship clubs, including us, were placed under a transfer embargo according to the Daily Mail.

If we need to sell to get out of this embargo, which players would command a fee? Moore, Morrison and maybe smithies? None are likely to attract bids from the premier league so I’m not sure we’d be looking at large sums.

Of course I’m glossing over the £7m we’ll be getting from Norwich for Vaulks

Coventry City’s embargo appears to be because Companies House has given them longer to submit their accounts, but the EFL has not, so hopefully, ours is down to a similar technicality.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    Coventry City’s embargo appears to be because Companies House has given them longer to submit their accounts, but the EFL has not, so hopefully, ours is down to a similar technicality.
    Our accounts are normally out by now aren’t they, so you might be on to something there.

I think its probably the accounts and will.be lifted by the summer.

If not a chance for some of our youngsters.

May not be a bad thing.

Loans and frees possibly a small fee with no parachute payments will be our market anyway.

It looks like uts just an administrative issue

Not like the Mail to blow everything out of proportion...

League 1 has a maximum wage of £2500 per week. Likewise, during these troubled times Championship clubs should be prevented from paying more than (say) £6000 per week. Otherwise, some are likely to go under completely like Bury.

I've now seen the article and, whilst worrying, the Coventry explanation seems to have credence. Let's hope it's the same for us. Although most clubs will be sustaining heavy losses this season, so we may be pushed in to that scenario. But the EFL must give some dispensation.

Club placed under a transfer embargo - Statement

Cardiff City Football Club can confirm that it has been placed under EFL transfer embargo.

The Club can assure supporters that this is part of an administrative process imposed by the EFL. It has no bearing on the day-to-day running of the club, nor its finances or sustainability. It will not affect us trading in the summer 2021 transfer window.

#CityAsOne

Re: Club placed under a transfer embargo

This statement must have been pushed out following the article Bob linked to earlier (which I have didn’t see before posting the statement)

Re: Club placed under a transfer embargo - Statement

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    Cardiff City Football Club can confirm that it has been placed under EFL transfer embargo.

The Club can assure supporters that this is part of an administrative process imposed by the EFL. It has no bearing on the day-to-day running of the club, nor its finances or sustainability. It will not affect us trading in the summer 2021 transfer window.

#CityAsOne
    I could be a cynic and say “it will not affect us trading in the summer 2021 transfer window” means that we’ll be able to sell players as planned, but I won’t be. Seriously, I think there are going to be so many clubs eager to sell this summer that prices will surely fall and players will be freed who would normally get a new contract - there’ll be bargains to be had by teams with well run recruitment departments.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I could be a cynic and say “it will not affect us trading in the summer 2021 transfer window” means that we’ll be able to sell players as planned, but I won’t be. Seriously, I think there are going to be so many clubs eager to sell this summer that prices will surely fall and players will be freed who would normally get a new contract - there’ll be bargains to be had by teams with well run recruitment departments.
    Agreed. We also need to be realistic about the value of players such as Moore and Smithies.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    Agreed. We also need to be realistic about the value of players such as Moore and Smithies.
    There is also the possibility that getting what may become unsustainable wages off the books rather than gaining a realistic transfer fee is more important. Alex Smithies contract is up in 2022. If his reported £30k per week is true then perhaps we’d rather give him away rather than pay him another £1.5m in wages. Of course, in the current climate no-one may be prepared to take him off our hands at that wage which may mean we will have to keep paying him. If socially distanced reduced crowds are the norm next season with a CCS maximum of approx 13,000 at 1 metre according to Mehmet Dalman then players salary expectations will need to be more realistic when their current contract ends.

If this is the beginning of the end of high wages then personally I will welcome it

EFL is a fecking joke of an organisation and needs to take a long hard look at themselves.

This is nothing more than a sensationalised story with provocative headlines designed to cause alarm. The embargo is an automatic EFL trigger when a clubs accounts are not filed ‘on time. The fact that the EFL have applied it in these circumstances to a number of clubs at the same time, shows what a Mickey Mouse organisation they really are.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    There is also the possibility that getting what may become unsustainable wages off the books rather than gaining a realistic transfer fee is more important. Alex Smithies contract is up in 2022. If his reported £30k per week is true then perhaps we’d rather give him away rather than pay him another £1.5m in wages. Of course, in the current climate no-one may be prepared to take him off our hands at that wage which may mean we will have to keep paying him. If socially distanced reduced crowds are the norm next season with a CCS maximum of approx 13,000 at 1 metre according to Mehmet Dalman then players salary expectations will need to be more realistic when their current contract ends.
    Which would suggest that the likes of Swansea with a capacity of 20,000, may well only be allowed something like 7 or 8000. Even if the best-case scenario happens, ie crowds allowed back in full capacities, then I can see at least 20-30% being reluctant to return. Once the football habit is broken it takes a long, long time to return.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Which would suggest that the likes of Swansea with a capacity of 20,000, may well only be allowed something like 7 or 8000. Even if the best-case scenario happens, ie crowds allowed back in full capacities, then I can see at least 20-30% being reluctant to return. Once the football habit is broken it takes a long, long time to return.
    I think the opposite is likely to happen and crowds will actually increase when grounds are reopened fully. Fans have stopped going because they have been ordered that they cant attend by the Government and EFL. This is totally different to fans stopping because they are fed up with it. There will be a rebound when this is over as the vast majority will want their usual weekly ‘fix’ of live football again. I am getting bored of watching it on screen with no atmosphere and no fans banter.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    I think the opposite is likely to happen and crowds will actually increase when grounds are reopened fully. Fans have stopped going because they have been ordered that they cant attend by the Government and EFL. This is totally different to fans stopping because they are fed up with it. There will be a rebound when this is over as the vast majority will want their usual weekly ‘fix’ of live football again. I am getting bored of watching it on screen with no atmosphere and no fans banter.
    Actually agree with you for once - I think there will be more demand than ever - maybe not in terms of ST sales and not until around xmas though as people re-adjust. But I think attendances will be through the roof as long as there is a modicum of success on offer in the coming years - at all footie clubs. This whole load of bollocks has certainly made me want to appreciate and enjoy stuff like that lot more when I'm able and can only assume lot's of others feel the same.

The following message has just been sent out to Trust members.

"Cardiff City Transfer Embargo

Trust chair Keith Morgan comments on the announcement that Cardiff City is one of a number of Championship clubs where a transfer embargo has been imposed.

Keith said: “Companies House has allowed a 3-month extension for filing accounts due to the pandemic, so Cardiff City Football Club’s accounts for year ended May 31, 2020, due to be filed at the end of February 2021 now can be filed as late as May 31, 2021.

“However, the English Football League has chosen not to give a similar extension for filing of accounts with them so non-filing has triggered an automatic transfer ban for non-compliance which will be lifted as soon as accounts are filed which will before the next transfer window in any case.

“Separately, of course, if the accounts when filed show losses above the allowed level, the transfer ban may be extended.”

The following message has just been sent out to Trust members.

"Cardiff City Transfer Embargo

Trust chair Keith Morgan comments on the announcement that Cardiff City is one of a number of Championship clubs where a transfer embargo has been imposed.

Keith said: “Companies House has allowed a 3-month extension for filing accounts due to the pandemic, so Cardiff City Football Club’s accounts for year ended May 31, 2020, due to be filed at the end of February 2021 now can be filed as late as May 31, 2021.

“However, the English Football League has chosen not to give a similar extension for filing of accounts with them so non-filing has triggered an automatic transfer ban for non-compliance which will be lifted as soon as accounts are filed which will before the next transfer window in any case.

“Separately, of course, if the accounts when filed show losses above the allowed level, the transfer ban may be extended.”
    Sounds like they expect the last bit there to happen, why mention it otherwise.

A total non-story then, applies to 10 clubs in the Championship & no doubt similar percentages of the other EFL clubs. EFL out of alignment with Government Covid allowances.