Re: Albums you wish you had never bought and don't play

Regatta de Blanc by The Police

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    I am like that with Bowie, Dylan , Springsteen , Elton John , Abba

Even Rod Stewart I have a greatest hits collection of

Having a collection of these artists albums would not interest me

Same as Zappa

Far too self indulgent but strictly commercial is fine , all his accessible stuff on one cd
    What? Bowie, Dylan, Springsteen, John are of no interest? Maybe Abba, but even that is questionable. The first four have been some of THE most influential musicians over the last fifty years. You may as well chuck in The Beatles, the Stones, and Zeppelin, and just ignore everyone.

Some disappointing albums:

Siouxsie and the Banshees - Through the Looking Glass
    The Damned - Anything
    The Dandy Warhols - Welcome to the Monkey House
    The Jam - The Gift
    Technical Ecstasy - Sabbath
    Be Here Now - Oasis
    Tonight - David Bowie
    Tin Machine - Tin Machine
    Victorialand - Cocteau Twins
    Mother Juno - The Gun Club
    Most Nick Cave records

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    What? Bowie, Dylan, Springsteen, John are of no interest? Maybe Abba, but even that is questionable. The first four have been some of THE most influential musicians over the last fifty years. You may as well chuck in The Beatles, the Stones, and Zeppelin, and just ignore everyone.
    not interested in buying albums by Bowie, Dylan , Springsteen or Elton John ......greatest collection fair enough

Beatles , Zep, Cream , Hendrix , yep

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Some disappointing albums:

Siouxsie and the Banshees - Through the Looking Glass
    The Damned - Anything
    The Dandy Warhols - Welcome to the Monkey House
    The Jam - The Gift
    Technical Ecstasy - Sabbath..............its rubbish
    Be Here Now - Oasis...........can't stand that band
    Tonight - David Bowie
    Tin Machine - Tin Machine...........liked the metal like guitar on that
    Victorialand - Cocteau Twins
    Mother Juno - The Gun Club
    Most Nick Cave records
    .........nick cave bores me

Floyd , The Final Cut

Burnt out band

Feedback

I bought the Hoosiers trick to life, listened to it once and threw it in the bin. absolutely woeful album

First Team

Red Hot Chilli Peppers.

I tried to like them but just didn’t happen.

Pretty sure they were devastated

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post
    Albums were often a rip-off. Like one song? Here's 11 more you won't like. That'll be £13 please. No wonder sales dwindled. Trying to get rid of a stack now but even Music Magpie doesn't want half of them.
    Many bands and artists were pressurised by the record labels and/or management to add a 'commercially-sounding' track to their albums and for a single to be marketed - and which resulted in the single being atypical of the music on the rest of the album.

One great example was Elvin Bishop's 'Fooled Around and Fell In Love', a middle-of-the-road pop ditty with a good guitar break in it.
    If you buy the album (as I did) you find out that he is more a country bumpkin who is into country music.

It's A Beautiful Day. They're a psychedelic folk rock band formed in San Francisco around 1967 and their music is based around David LaFlamme's violin playing.

They made a brilliant song called White Bird and on the basis of that I bought their debut album, unfortunately the rest of the tracks are dated and rather tedious.

It's a matter of taste but i'll go with my own personal choices
    Uriah heep- high and mighty
    Genesis- then there were three
    Goldie- saturnz return

all of the above i thought were garbage when i bought them but have since thought that they were ok

I've never bought a prog rock album.So if I had.I'd wish I hadn't.

Metal Machine Music , Lou Reed

Straight in the bin , dreadful

To be fair I think he was off his head on heroin , speed and coke

I have loads of krautrock vinyl, which I now find unlistenable. Neu!, Cluster, Amon Duul, Popol Vuh, Ash Ra Tempel, Faust.

I never listen to most of them, but the Sad Skinhead - from Faust VI still gets the occasional outing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtkOXbmuChE

Metal Machine Music , Lou Reed

Straight in the bin , dreadful

To be fair I think he was off his head on heroin , speed and coke
    Apparently Joy Division's Ian Curtis genuinely loved Metal Machine Music and played it over and over.

Not sure whether Lou was trying to make an innovative ambient punk noise here or just annoy his record company. At the time RCA were forced to withdraw MMM from shops after matter of weeks.

Can ~ Tago Mago, recommended by many, leapt in and bought the 40th Anniversary edition, so there's even more for me not to like, same with Performance: Rocking the Fillmore by Humble Pie, opted for the complete recordings, not my cup of tea, love Steve Marriot's voice from his Small Faces stuff, but 'Umble Pie, no thanks, should sample this stuff on YouTube I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by elytillidie View Post
    Can ~ Tago Mago, recommended by many, leapt in and bought the 40th Anniversary edition, so there's even more for me not to like, same with Performance: Rocking the Fillmore by Humble Pie, opted for the complete recordings, not my cup of tea, love Steve Marriot's voice from his Small Faces stuff, but 'Umble Pie, no thanks, should sample this stuff on YouTube I suppose.
    There are two sides of Can's Tago Mago that stand - alongside the Future Days album - as some of my favourite music of that decade. The other two sides - when they go off on one - yes, unlistenable drug-fueled self-indulgence.

Quote Originally Posted by elytillidie View Post
    Can Future Days is a great trip into the mind

But most of their stuff is arse

all the early fall albums , not my thing at all

Code Selfish onwards bloody great and well produced

Thin Lizzy Renegade

Thin Lizzy Thunder And Lightning

A sad end to a great band

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Peter View Post
    There are two sides of Can's Tago Mago that stand - alongside the Future Days album - as some of my favourite music of that decade. The other two sides - when they go off on one - yes, unlistenable drug-fueled self-indulgence.
    Yeah, Tago Mago started off okay, but after listening to one track in particular, 17 minutes of someone groaning, I binned them. I also bought an extended album by Young Marble Giants, really wanted to like them, and half a dozen tracks are okay, but it was too much for me. I'll never knock people for their musical tastes (I do frequently) because I used to wonder what people saw in Joy Division, now I genuinely love them. I'd like to like Captain Beefheart, but he's definitely one step beyond.

The Fall's drummer was on the chase the other night.
    Got to 7k but, was knocked out.
    He's in IT now and doing an open uni degree

Thin Lizzy Renegade

Thin Lizzy Thunder And Lightning

A sad end to a great band
    All Lizzy's albums once Robbo had left weren't much cop. Around about this time Philo, of course, got it drugs bigtime and his writing and creativity suffered accordingly

One of the worst LP's I ever bought was ' Knee Deep In The Hoopla' by Starship. Love Jefferson Airplane and Jefferson Starship too. Two of the finest bands to have come out of the USA, but that album is a pile of bland dogs turd. Grace Slick should be ashamed of herself.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    One of the worst LP's I ever bought was ' Knee Deep In The Hoopla' by Starship. Love Jefferson Airplane and Jefferson Starship too. Two of the finest bands to have come out of the USA, but that album is a pile of bland dogs turd. Grace Slick should be ashamed of herself.
    A right beauty in her day