+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Anyone bought land from the council?

Anyone bought land from the council?

Anyone had any experience of buying land from the council?

Looking to enlarge our garden and the land adjacent is owned by the council.

Restrictive covenants in place to prevent building, which is fine, the land is pretty high maintenance in terms of trees etc. and the council don’t seem to have the appetite to spend to maintain, so was hoping buying the land might appeal if it then becomes our problem.

Re: Anyone bought land from the council?

I thought all council disposals go to auction to prove value for money but may be wrong

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    I thought all council disposals go to auction to prove value for money but may be wrong
    Is that if it is up for sale, rather than this instance where the land forms part of common ground.

I had to have a tree removed adjacent to my land. It was on common land. Humugously complicated. I was lucky I was friendly with local councillors.
    I dread to think how complicated your deal might be, and expensive.
    Can I suggest you speak informally in the first instance to your local town councillors to get them onside before taking it any further?

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

The land previously occupied by the recycling centre at Wedal Road was sold on a ‘handshake’ to the UHW.

It never went to auction as it should have and the rate payers never received fair value from its disposal by the Council. In 2015/2016 I think.

The council does what it wants apparently

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    I had to have a tree removed adjacent to my land. It was on common land. Humugously complicated. I was lucky I was friendly with local councillors.
    Can I suggest you speak informally in the first instance to your local town councillors to get them onside before taking it any further?
    You being a former Leader of the Labour Party you probably had it for nothing or they paid you to take it off their hands

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    You being a former Leader of the Labour Party you probably had it for nothing or they paid you to take it off their hands
    Outed! 👍

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    I also had a tree problem, they weren’t interested so I just cut it down. I tried to buy the land it was on, the County Council agreed, the local Council blocked it, as it would set a precedent