+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swansea City Boycott Social Media

Swansea City Boycott Social Media

I just came across this in The Guardian https://www.theguardian.com/football...bhorrent-abuse

Re: Swansea City Boycott Social Media

Fully behind them but I suppose opens up the debate of where the line is.

People that messaged Conor Roberts directly to jump off a bridge is totally unacceptable but is it acceptable to directly say they played rubbish? What about in open discussion on Twitter?

Fans want to interact with players that they pay a lot of money to watch each week and then you got Gary Neville criticising that someone’s remotely managing their accounts.

It’s a tricky situation and I certainly wouldn’t like to deal with the abuse that footballers do

Jacks have 4m followers across all employees and platforms according to Sky Sports News.

Bet that's a lot more than ours.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post

People that messaged Conor Roberts directly to jump off a bridge is totally unacceptable but is it acceptable to directly say they played rubbish? What about in open discussion on Twitter?

Fans want to interact with players that they pay a lot of money to watch each week and then you got Gary Neville criticising that someone’s remotely managing their accounts.

It’s a tricky situation and I certainly wouldn’t like to deal with the abuse that footballers do
    Are they fans or just racist bots from all over the world. Anyone can set up as many Twitter accounts that they want. Probably the same accounts randomly racially attacking anyone in the public eye that’s not white.

Quote Originally Posted by alan_corneli View Post
    Jacks have 4m followers across all employees and platforms according to Sky Sports News.

Bet that's a lot more than ours.
    That stems from their PL days, no way do that have that interest now. They’d be lucky to get 12k in the ground

Think there is a difference between saying a player played rubbish and saying a player is sh*t or competing to see who can have the most hyperbolic negative reaction to a player's name (pre-game) and performance (post-game) with the latter more about seeking attention rather than just wanting interaction with players. Arguably, even the latter could be just about acceptable but really it is not if it includes trying to ensure the player can see the comments.

Conversation typically moves onto social media requiring identification so perhaps time to share this thread: https://twitter.com/MariCLewis/statu...24230692192264

Twitter should treat racism like copyright abuses. They get on that v quickly. They have the capacity.

Making marginalized people who rely on anonymity pay for racists using the cloak of anonymity knowing this website doesn’t punish racism is just further oppression. **** that.

I tweet this as I’m disappointed in my local supporters group, who seem to “get” Liverpool only to a certain point — we need to realize that the framed enemies here (anonymous racists) are allowed to act not bc they’re anonymous but because Twitter doesn’t care about racism.

I cannot emphasize enough that racist bullies will always exist, but right now they also exist as verified accounts. Those accounts embolden others. These are two related problems.

Also my local Liverpool group have a lot of care rn when it’s Liverpool supporters online being racist but have had nothing to say across a week of big, big racism stories in, say, La Liga. Y’all don’t care about racism, you care about the optics of the club & can **** off xoxo

People who use anonymity to exist and speak matter in conversations I have everyday (!) and their well-being matters (!!); creating an online environment where trans people, as an important example, can’t safely exist isnt “progressive” or anti-racist, you idiots; also, stop.

Is it a tricky situation? If someone is being a **** ban them. You’re not allowed to be a **** in the street why should it be allowed if it’s behind a keyboard ?

There seems to be a weird bubble round football where you’re allowed to be a complete anti social **** just because you’ve bought a ticket under the guise of shit banter.

Also what kind of ****ing empty headed loser watches their team lose a football match and then logs on to directly call someone shit and tag them.

Just seen this on sky sports news and for a second the jacks had my full respect, then it was reported that they were only coming off social media for a week....that's pathetic. I stopped drinking 3 times in one day once and like this it didn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    Just seen this on sky sports news and for a second the jacks had my full respect, then it was reported that they were only coming off social media for a week....that's pathetic. I stopped drinking 3 times in one day once and like this it didn't work.
    What's genuinely pathetic is your attempt at an analogy.

The Jacks and their players are actually doing something about the situation instead of just complaining about it. Good on them. If the biggest clubs in the world followed Swansea's lead we might finally begin to see some changes.

Birmingham have joined now.

Perhaps footballers as a community should find a different behaviour away from these platforms if they contain such appalling content , I guess they knew that these environments existed before joining.

One of the Swansea lads suggested a more robust sign up procedure giving official names and addresses so one could report the hatred more effectively, the weakness of these platforms is the anonymity they provide for faceless cowards .

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post

The Jacks and their players are actually doing something about the situation instead of just complaining about it. Good on them. If the biggest clubs in the world followed Swansea's lead we might finally begin to see some changes.
    Quite right. An end to all those banal self-obsessed profiles

Doing something about it, no they’re not it’s a really shallow gesture maybe even virtue signaling. At least Theri Henry as come off it totally.

Doing something about it, no they’re not it’s a really shallow gesture maybe even virtue signaling.
    So boycotting social media for a week isn't doing something?

Not really. It’s like one of your flounces. Doesn’t last long and achieves nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Not really. It’s like one of your flounces. Doesn’t last long and achieves nothing.
    Does it perhaps bring some more publicity to an issue that very definitely needs addressing?

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Is it a tricky situation? If someone is being a **** ban them. You’re not allowed to be a **** in the street why should it be allowed if it’s behind a keyboard ?

There seems to be a weird bubble round football where you’re allowed to be a complete anti social **** just because you’ve bought a ticket under the guise of shit banter.

Also what kind of ****ing empty headed loser watches their team lose a football match and then logs on to directly call someone shit and tag them.
    I’m on your side but there is a line where something is and isn’t acceptable whether it’s shit behaviour or not.

What about those who shout stuff in the stadium like “get off, you're shit” like I’ve heard hundreds of times before at games? Is there a difference on twitter saying Bacuna was crap today to saying @Bacuna was crap

Easier if players just come off social media all together as there will always be arseholes

Not really it certainly won't be that effective, it would be like contributing a penny to Sir Tom's fundraiser or Velindre cancer fund - It's insulting.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Quite right. An end to all those banal self-obsessed profiles
    I wouldn’t say it’s about self obsession it’s probably more to do with image rights and brand reputation

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Birmingham have joined now.

Perhaps footballers as a community should find a different behaviour away from these platforms if they contain such appalling content , I guess they knew that these environments existed before joining.

One of the Swansea lads suggested a more robust sign up procedure giving official names and addresses so one could report the hatred more effectively, the weakness of these platforms is the anonymity they provide for faceless cowards .
    Will never happen in my opinion

Not really it certainly won't be that effective, it would be like contributing a penny to Sir Tom's fundraiser or Velindre cancer fund - It's insulting.
    Who does it insult? Do you think the Swansea players who have been racially abused on social media feel insulted?

As for it not being that effective, of course it won't in it's own right. But every movement has to start somewhere and if people don't do anything, then nothing changes. There definitely seems to be a move against the social media giants in the football world at the moment. I see that as a good thing. Perhaps you disagree?

It’s nuanced.

It’s caused a thread on here that may make people consider what they’re saying.

It’s caused a talking point on tv and opened discussions on whether football needs to take action where the public won’t.

It may achieve very little and probably won’t change the attitudes of those who personally and racially abuse others but to say it achieves nothing I think is wrong

Like those weirdos from extinction rebellion that smashed Barclays windows. I hate everything about it but it’s clear it’s got people thinking about it again.

Who does it insult? Do you think the Swansea players who have been racially abused on social media feel insulted?

As for it not being that effective, of course it won't in it's own right. But every movement has to start somewhere and if people don't do anything, then nothing changes. There definitely seems to be a move against the social media giants in the football world at the moment. I see that as a good thing. Perhaps you disagree?
    No I don't disagree, you make some valued points but this is not going to be sorted until it has an effect on these media company's and coming off for a week ain't gonna make them bat an eyelid. Cmon even gimmick charity events like movember goes on for a month.

It’s nuanced.

It’s caused a thread on here that may make people consider what they’re saying.

It’s caused a talking point on tv and opened discussions on whether football needs to take action where the public won’t.

It may achieve very little and probably won’t change the attitudes of those who personally and racially abuse others but to say it achieves nothing I think is wrong

Like those weirdos from extinction rebellion that smashed Barclays windows. I hate everything about it but it’s clear it’s got people thinking about it again.
    Yeah you got a good point, but I do prefer Henry's stance.

No I don't disagree, you make some valued points but this is not going to be sorted until it has an effect on these media company's and coming off for a week ain't gonna make them bat an eyelid.
    Of course they won't bat an eyelid when Swansea City does it. But they might start batting a few eyelids if Liverpool, Man City and Man Utd decided to do likewise. These things tend to build momentum gradually. Who knows where it it will end up or if will have any effect at all? But doing something, anything, is definitely better than doing nothing.

Of course they won't bat an eyelid when Swansea City does it. But they might start batting a few eyelids if Liverpool, Man City and Man Utd decided to do likewise. These things tend to build momentum gradually. Who knows where it it will end up or if will have any effect at all? But doing something, anything, is definitely better than doing nothing.
    I hear you - the european top 10 clubs could follow suit but if it's only a week the media company's would ride it out and still not bat an eyelid. imho, you got to close your accounts down and not participate until they sort it out and I suppose sorting it out is some sort of registration.