+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Swansea City Boycott Social Media

Re: Swansea City Boycott Social Media

Social Media companies won't change unless Government issue huge fines or loads of users close their accounts; enough to threaten their business model. Although good on Swansea for making a stand. Maybe other clubs, including ours, should join them.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Birmingham have joined now.

Perhaps footballers as a community should find a different behaviour away from these platforms if they contain such appalling content , I guess they knew that these environments existed before joining.

One of the Swansea lads suggested a more robust sign up procedure giving official names and addresses so one could report the hatred more effectively, the weakness of these platforms is the anonymity they provide for faceless cowards .
    Sounds like victim blaming to me. Social media in general is key for this generation of players to help engagement with fans and also promote sponsors they may have. Why should players avoid twitter because people are being racist? Surely you should be questioning what can these social media companies do to eradicate abuse?

I'm not sure that it's possible to Boycott social media.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I'm not sure that it's possible to Boycott social media.
    I accidentally boycotted it for a couple of days last week, but William Treseder got upset about that, so I had to come back to it.

Free, anonymous platforms with millions of users and little to no moderation - what could possibly go wrong?

I think the days of anonymity are numbered. It seems an unfair fight when a 'real' person is open to horrendous abuse from anonymous cowards. Football needs to do something along with many other sports etc.

However, these platforms offer a free service and have all the power. Perhaps it's time to revise that model? It does seem to be the Wild West of the internet - lawless and unpleasant for a lot of users who are authentic and name themselves.

I like Henry's stance, I think Karen Carney did the same. I don't subscribe to the view that Twitter and Facebook are essential platforms and it's only a matter of time before safer and better regulated social platforms are created by new generations of internet users. Either Facebook et al will have to reform or it will taken out of their hands. This fightback, however small, I feel is just the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I accidentally boycotted it for a couple of days last week, but William Treseder got upset about that, so I had to come back to it.
    Good, it's been dull on here

In ten years time Facebook will be dead

In five years twitter

To be replaced by something else

The worst thing I ever read about on social media was when the Bolton player fabrice muamba collapsed on the field and some loser ironically from Swansea, tweeted he hoped the Black **** was dead

Whats going on in these peoples heads ?

I think he was kicked out of university but what worries me is the fact he got there in the first place

Good, it's been dull on here
    its gone downhill again

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    Free, anonymous platforms with millions of users and little to no moderation - what could possibly go wrong?

I think the days of anonymity are numbered. It seems an unfair fight when a 'real' person is open to horrendous abuse from anonymous cowards. Football needs to do something along with many other sports etc.

However, these platforms offer a free service and have all the power. Perhaps it's time to revise that model? It does seem to be the Wild West of the internet - lawless and unpleasant for a lot of users who are authentic and name themselves.

I like Henry's stance, I think Karen Carney did the same. I don't subscribe to the view that Twitter and Facebook are essential platforms and it's only a matter of time before safer and better regulated social platforms are created by new generations of internet users. Either Facebook et al will have to reform or it will taken out of their hands. This fightback, however small, I feel is just the beginning.
    Do you remember when Bendtner pulled down his shorts to show a different brand to the official sponsor of that international tournament and got a bigger fine for that then the club with racist fans a few weeks before?

In the same way, social media platforms are excellent at moderation when it comes to certain things like showing clips of games but turn a blind eye to abuse.

It's not about taking away anonymous mode (most of us on here haven't become abusive; former President Trump was happy to be abusive in his name as is that Swansea YouTube channel Sludge stuck up a few weeks ago; some people need protection of not being known) but something is needed.

Two dates for diary tomorrow:

1. Wales/Cymru women play tomorrow in first game under a new manager.

2. Think I'm right in saying April 9th 2020 saw 48 people recorded as dying from covid in Wales which was the peak (matched on the 13th) of the 1st peak. We've come a long way in a year.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Do you remember when Bendtner pulled down his shorts to show a different brand to the official sponsor of that international tournament and got a bigger fine for that then the club with racist fans a few weeks before?

In the same way, social media platforms are excellent at moderation when it comes to certain things like showing clips of games but turn a blind eye to abuse.

It's not about taking away anonymous mode (most of us on here haven't become abusive; former President Trump was happy to be abusive in his name as is that Swansea YouTube channel Sludge stuck up a few weeks ago; some people need protection of not being known) but something is needed.

2. Think I'm right in saying April 9th 2020 saw 48 people recorded as dying from covid in Wales which was the peak (matched on the 13th) of the 1st peak. We've come a long way in a year.
    The copyright argument is a false equivalence, if you own the rights to a song/piece of media you and see it reuploaded you can report this to twitter and it's easily checked in a database. Moderating language is a completely different challenge because words that can be used as racism (like the n word for example) aren't always used in a racist context. Programming something that is able to determine the context behind said words. Obviously there are cases where the intent is very clear and should result in an immediate ban, but people will catch on and start using other language to abuse people.

I really don't know what the solution will be, but it's definitely a lot more complicated than people are making it out to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Is it a tricky situation? If someone is being a **** ban them. You’re not allowed to be a **** in the street why should it be allowed if it’s behind a keyboard ?

There seems to be a weird bubble round football where you’re allowed to be a complete anti social **** just because you’ve bought a ticket under the guise of shit banter.

Also what kind of ****ing empty headed loser watches their team lose a football match and then logs on to directly call someone shit and tag them.
    maybe we all should follow this rule

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post

You're right, there's a huge level of hypocrisy by the Social Media companies (and in Football with the example you gave be ing a prime example). I swing regarding my thoughts on anonymity. It's a difficult one - back in the day I suppose it was poison pen letters people had to contend with which were no less abusive and abhorant.

But good call on the Wales women match - I listened to Jane Ludlow the other day talking about wanting to still be involved in the future - not entirely sure what happened but reading between the lines, the FAW were slow to move in the directions she wanted. I like Gemma Grainger but it's a big job for her but here's wishing them all the best. At the time of writing, I haven't checked if it's being streamed but if it is it's a definite watch.

And yes, the Covid figures are a sobering reminder of where we were a year ago.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Will never happen in my opinion
    Your right sadly , what we do know about these platforms they were known to be outlets for the loops of the world many moons ago, didn't stop footballers joining the awful platforms to enhance thier fame ,fortune and profile

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Your right sadly , what we do know about these platforms they were known to be outlets for the loops of the world many moons ago, didn't stop footballers joining the awful platforms to enhance thier fame ,fortune and profile
    I wouldn't say the platforms themselves are awful, but rather some of the people that use them. It's difficult to tar all of social media like that when it has brought positives. Sean Morrison can make a kid's day by tweeting him a happy birthday message, for example, and that can only happen because of social media. Is he doing that just for fame and fortune?

CCMB is a form of social media, and I've seen posts on here that have said only white people are natural born UK citizens, that Chinese takeaways should be boycotted because Covid originated in China, and that the underage girls groomed for sex by Jeffrey Epstein don't have a moral compass and knew what they were getting into.

All awful comments, but CCMB isn't responsible for them. Social media gives a voice to all, it's just that some voices aren't worth listening to.

I care nothing about social media. It is a generational thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Stanmore Bluebird View Post
    I care nothing about social media. It is a generational thing!
    Loads of older people use it as well. Post pictures of their crap holidays in Egypt, ugly kids, and copious amounts of photos with an Alcoholic beverage in their hand at some function or out the back, on holiday, in the neighbours house etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanmore Bluebird View Post
    I care nothing about social media.
    "I care nothing about social media," says a bloke on social media.

Loads of older people use it as well. Post pictures of their crap holidays in Egypt, ugly kids, and copious amounts of photos with an Alcoholic beverage in their hand at some function or out the back, on holiday, in the neighbours house etc.
    ''ugly kids''

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    "I care nothing about social media," says a bloke on social media.
    That's what I was thinking