+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Which players will we be saying goodbye to?

Which players will we be saying goodbye to?

Junior?
    Vassell?
    Murphy?
    Tomlin?
    Bennett?
    Vaulks?

As well as Wilson, Ojo and Osei Tutu.

Anybody else?

Re: Which players will we be saying goodbye to?

Tomlin, Vassell and Vaulks have another year don't they?

McCarthy doesn’t seem to be keen on Glatzel, either.

Looks like there might be a purge on anyone who likes to play with the ball on the ground.

I think we'll probably end up losing the players we don't want to lose. Bamba, Hoilett, Sang, Brown, Bennett and Harris are all out off contract, as is Jonny Williams. I fully expect us to keep the younger ones as they will be cheap, and possibly Williams as a squad player. Hoilett looks to be on his way out and Bamba will obviously leave as a player. Bennett is the conundrum, is he wanted? I hope he stays but it's unlikely anyone else will sign him with his injury. The club have to decide whether to keep him without knowing how he will recover from his injury.

Players like Tomlin and Vassell are still under contract so I suppose it is up to a joint decision between the club and the players whether a deal can be struck to enable them to leave. Unlikely anyone else would sign them though , so i suppose the club is stuck with them for another year.

I would like to see us able to keep Morrison and Moore, and hope there is no money around from other clubs to be able to entice them away. Smithies is very good but allegedly on very high wages, and i expect Flint, Glatzel and Murphy are too. And the club also has to look at players who only have year left on their contract, like Vaulks and Nelson. To the club offer them a new deal or let go for nothing next summer? And we lose the loan players.

It's going to be an interesting summer.

Moore will be sold.

I doubt some of the players that need moving on we will be able to move.

If Mainz stay up then maybe a loan for Glatzel to see his contract up.

Hoillet will go.

Vaulks if Norwich up their 7m offer.😂

I forgot to add we have Gavin Whyte coming back next season!

Hoilett definitely
    Smithies if we can get a decent price
    Glatzel if he can be sold/loaned
    Brown probably
    Vassell on a free
    Tomlin on a free
    Harris probably
    I think Bennett will be kept on, as will Sol.
    The other youngsters like Sang will be offered a new contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    Hoilett definitely
    Brown probably
    Vassell on a free
    Tomlin on a free
    Harris probably
    If the rumoured figure of £30k per week is true then we may be prepared to accept a nominal fee for Smithies just to get him off the books.

Hoilett definitely
    Brown probably
    Vassell on a free
    Tomlin on a free
    Harris probably
    No way will Tomlin or Vassell leave on frees.

Hoilett definitely
    Brown probably
    Vassell on a free
    Tomlin on a free
    Harris probably
    Bennet and Sol are both out of contract, bennett will be missing for upto half the season next year and Sol is 36 already and battling cancer.
    Both have been great players for us, but we aren't in the position to be giving out contracts on the basis of sentimentality

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    No way will Tomlin or Vassell leave on frees.
    Why not?

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEAWAY View Post
    Why not?
    They are under contract. We may make them available for a free but there is no chance whatsoever of either getting better contracts elsewhere.

There's no reason why we should sell Moore, unless we are offered a stupid amount of money for him.
    Bamba, Vassell, Glatzel, Bennett even - they can all go and we won't even miss them.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    If the rumoured figure of £30k per week is true then we may be prepared to accept a nominal fee for Smithies just to get him off the books.
    Why would we want to "Just get him off the books"?

People always assume there will be a cost cutting exercise and the club has no money to spend but no one knows how much or how little is available.
    I'd gvt Tomlin off the books because I dread to think what influence he is having on the U23 squad.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Bennet and Sol are both out of contract, bennett will be missing for upto half the season next year and Sol is 36 already and battling cancer.
    Both have been great players for us, but we aren't in the position to be giving out contracts on the basis of sentimentality
    How do you know what position we are in?

Prince Philip? Bit of a player if that series The Crown is to be believed!!

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Why would we want to "Just get him off the books"?

People always assume there will be a cost cutting exercise and the club has no money to spend but no one knows how much or how little is available.
    I'd gvt Tomlin off the books because I dread to think what influence he is having on the U23 squad.
    You’re quite right no-one knows what the financial position and Tan’s inclination to put his hand in his pocket other than the club itself. With no parachute payment and the possibility of social distancing in the stadium when fans are allowed to return, there may well be a significant reduction in income.

In terms of Smithies one could speculate that he is on the bench to allow Phillips, the cheaper option, game time to prepare himself as the no 1 keeper for the future. In my view Smithies is the superior keeper and would be my first choice.

This is a messageboard which is based on uninformed opinion which applies to your views on Tomlin. As it happens I agree with you about getting rid of him but not for the reasons you state.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    How do you know what position we are in?
    it'll be our first year without parachute payments, so that's already a huge hole in our finances, which weren't exactly stellar to begin with. then added to that the fact that we've had no match day income for the last 12 months suggests to me we probably aren't in the position to spunk a million quid or more on wages for players who are unlikely to feature that much

it'll be our first year without parachute payments, so that's already a huge hole in our finances, which weren't exactly stellar to begin with. then added to that the fact that we've had no match day income for the last 12 months suggests to me we probably aren't in the position to spunk a million quid or more on wages for players who are unlikely to feature that much
    It will be the 3rd year of our parachute payment. 19/20, 20/21, 21/22, it’s reduced but not gone

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    It will be the 3rd year of our parachute payment. 19/20, 20/21, 21/22, it’s reduced but not gone
    Parachute payments only last for 2 seasons if you only spend 1 season in the Prem before being relegated.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Parachute payments only last for 2 seasons if you only spend 1 season in the Prem before being relegated.
    Thanks for the enlightenment Eric. What are the percentages? As even in the 3rd year it’s only 20%

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Thanks for the enlightenment Eric. What are the percentages? As even in the 3rd year it’s only 20%
    it's about £40m year 1, £35m year 2 and £15 million year 3 - so we will have £35 million less than this season, which is more than some clubs entire operating budget at this level

International

Don't misunderstand me, I have no argument with your reasoning, but it is something I have always done.... question when someone makes a statement as fact when it is actually only their (sometimes well considered) opinion.
    In the past there were several on here who did that and kept repeating it in the hope the eventually it would be accepted as fact.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    You’re quite right no-one knows what the financial position and Tan’s inclination to put his hand in his pocket other than the club itself. With no parachute payment and the possibility of social distancing in the stadium when fans are allowed to return, there may well be a significant reduction in income.

In terms of Smithies one could speculate that he is on the bench to allow Phillips, the cheaper option, game time to prepare himself as the no 1 keeper for the future. In my view Smithies is the superior keeper and would be my first choice.

This is a messageboard which is based on uninformed opinion which applies to your views on Tomlin. As it happens I agree with you about getting rid of him but not for the reasons you state.
    Beleive me I have lots of other opinions about tomlin, most well documented on here. lol