+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: FT: CARDIFF CITY 2 - 2 BLACKBURN ROVERS. Match thread

Re: FT: CARDIFF CITY 2 - 2 BLACKBURN ROVERS. Match thread

Look on the bright side - City are now mathematically safe from relegation as Wycombe, Sheff Wed and Derby all cant overtake us.

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    Commentators scathing about the City defence for Blackburn’s second goal. At least the result ensures no embarrassing exit from the playoffs at the hands of the Jacks as we now won't make it into the top six (barring a melt down with the 5 teams above us!).
    Our defence has been a dreadful liability for years

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    And I thought I was the only one on here to remember the best City centre half in my time, a true legend..
    I remember him well - and his ogies as he called them.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyncoed Slumdog View Post
    I remember him well - and his ogies as he called them.
    yes....one of my first games was at home v Liverpool ...we won 3-2 and scored all five goals courtesy of 2 own goals from DM(!)... Incidentally we also beat them 4-0 at Anfield....ah...those were the days.....how paths differ over the decades...

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    Phillips had done nothing to deserve getting dropped. I didn’t see the first goal but Smithies was down like a bag of cement for the 2nd. The little I saw, we barely deserved anything but I didn’t see the first half. Anything we seemed to have gained under MM looks utterly evaporated.
    My guess is that MM is trying to move Smithies on and is "putting him in the shop window" so to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    My guess is that MM is trying to move Smithies on and is "putting him in the shop window" so to speak.
    was thinking exactly the same....

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Moore and Wilson had guilt edge chances before our goal, Wilson rounding the keeper for the "sending off" was also a key play so one could say we had a good first half.

That said, the amount of chances we gave them in the second was just awful and who's to say we'd have gone on to win had we converted all three?

Sang and Ng I think it is accepted are good players so it begs the question, how bad must our other defenders be?

No biggy for this season but Mick needs to put that right for next at the very least.
    Is that guilt for getting a chance to score?

Shop window!!! I like Smithies but he'll be back in the stock room after today’s performance.

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    Our defence has been a dreadful liability for years
    Really?

Even with periods of meltdown we have been comfortably top half for goals conceded this season and last. The promotion season we had the joint best defence. The season before (Trollope/Warnock) we finished 12th and were 13th for goals conceded.

We need to strengthen central defence this summer (we started the season with Morrison, Bamba, Nelson and Benkovic - with Flint and Brown away on loan) and decide if we're playing mainly with full backs or wing backs (the weakness now on the left side rather than the right), but let's not re-write history.

Any defence that has had Morrison, Bennett, Osei-Tutu and Bagan out injured for so long will be stressed. It has looked very patched up over recent games, and three of the five main starters have been adapting to Championship football (Ng, Brown, Sang) - even without a Bacuna or Ralls thrown in out of position.

Smithies must really like it in Cardiff.

Hi Maurice Swan, I presume you are the former City keeper from that era, which was my favourite time watching the City. I saw my first game in 1950 and have been a supporter ever since. I think the Liverpool game you mentioned was the first match of the 1959/60 season There were some great players around that time - Malloy, Graham Moore, Tapscott, Vearncombe (sorry about that!), Walsh and Johnny Watkins. I think that was the year we were promoted to the old First Division. They were great times indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by Woosnam View Post
    Hi Maurice Swan, I presume you are the former City keeper from that era, which was my favourite time watching the City. I saw my first game in 1950 and have been a supporter ever since. I think the Liverpool game you mentioned was the first match of the 1959/60 season There were some great players around that time - Malloy, Graham Moore, Tapscott, Vearncombe (sorry about that!), Walsh and Johnny Watkins. I think that was the year we were promoted to the old First Division. They were great times indeed!
    Welcome Woosie. Your recollections are correct about that season.

https://www.worldfootball.net/teams/...f-city/1960/3/

Not sure that MS is THE former City keeper, though.

StT.
    <><

Quote Originally Posted by Steve the Tea View Post
    Welcome Woosie. Your recollections are correct about that season.

https://www.worldfootball.net/teams/...f-city/1960/3/

Not sure that MS is THE former City keeper, though.

StT.
    <><
    I remember the three City ‘keepers of the early 60s, Vearncombe, John & Swan. Some reckoned Swan was the best of the three but he seemed prone to injury and didn’t play anywhere near as much as the other two.