+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Who Fancies paying more Income tax ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Who Fancies paying more Income tax ?

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    But would it be beneficial leaving the union. I don’t see it at all
    the union will only ever be run to the benefit of south east England and London specifically.
    When Ireland left the union they had a similar population as wales has now, a very underdeveloped economy and a poorly educated workforce.
    Ireland today is a modern European country and has a good standard of living and high levels of wealth. If they were still in the union I cannot believe that they would have been able to develop as far, as the uk priority would still have been London.
    It took a long time but if it worked for them, then why couldn't we do the same?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    the union will only ever be run to the benefit of south east England and London specifically.
    When Ireland left the union they had a similar population as wales has now, a very underdeveloped economy and a poorly educated workforce.
    Ireland today is a modern European country and has a good standard of living and high levels of wealth. If they were still in the union I cannot believe that they would have been able to develop as far, as the uk priority would still have been London.
    It took a long time but if it worked for them, then why couldn't we do the same?
    Absolutely. The list of countries that have gained independence from much larger masters and have regretted it is very small indeed.

Ireland just slashed corporation tax.

If everyone do that it would just be a race to the bottom

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Ireland just slashed corporation tax.

If everyone do that it would just be a race to the bottom
    corporation tax has been 12.5% since the mid 2000s, in the mid 90s it was 40% ish an 50% before that.

The same points would apply to Ireland before they cut corporation tax (to a little bit less than us) as they do now.

Do you think if Ireland had remained as part of the UK from 1921 until 1991 it would have done as well as it did independently?