Thread: Duke of Edinburgh dies

Duke of Edinburgh dies

Just announced on BBC news.

Re: Duke of Edinburgh dies

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Just announced on BBC news.
    Very very sad.

Think it was on the cards after his recent hospital stay.

RIP Bluebird x

Gone to young.

A great man .

Must have been very hard at the outset of their marriage to see your young wife pulled into the role of the Queen at such a young age .

I think he kept thing together in the family , through extraordinary times in the UK , massive era of change , family tragedy and yes ,controversy .

At least one of his children should take note , maybe some others .

RIP

Still one of my all time Frankie Boyle jokes... A Greek married to a German, she must have an arse like a knackered cat flat

A man who has not had a job for 74 years since the age of 25 dies after a life on benefits, I'm sure the Daily Mail would have some comment to make about this!

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    A great man .

Must have been very hard at the outset of their marriage to see your young wife pulled into the role of the Queen at such a young age .

I think he kept thing together in the family , through extraordinary times in the UK , massive era of change , family tragedy and yes ,controversy .

RIP

Yes it must have been so hard to have been born into two royal families and then married into another. Very very hard for him.

Sorry for his family, but I don’t care even though broadly supporting the Royals as an entity. He meant little to me - apart from the Queen and Prince Charles, the royals matter not a jot to me. His grandchildren and great grandchildren I don’t give a damn about. Please don’t banish me to the Tower!

Not surprised, he looked like a sack of shit when he left hospital.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Yes it must have been so hard to have been born into two royal families and then married into another. Very very hard for him.
    Mentally yes, not talking about hard work as in a 'job' or 'life' , he was heading for his dream role as chief of the Admiralty when all that happened and the queen only 5 years into the marriage take on her role , yes its out of our scope and world , yes they are privileged beyond belief , however must have effected him personally as his identity changed beyond recognition as a young man , he jsut got on wit it , you can see it did not fit easy form his mercurial manner and outbursts.

Massive conservationist back in the 80's he was banging on industrial and economic growth likely to badly effect nature in a bad way ,way before Greta

Queen planning a girls trip to Marbs in the summer.

A huge loss and another Bob Bank regular gone.

Can't get away from his image on Facebook, and worryingly on several advertising boards. Its like living in North Korea

A great man .

RIP
    why was he a great man?

didn't he start writing letters to the future queen when she was 13 and he was 18?

Yes but he was part of the aristocracy. So it's absolutely fine to fancy kids. Its only paedophilia when normal people do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    why was he a great man?

didn't he start writing letters to the future queen when she was 13 and he was 18?
    His lad Andrew has taken that step a bit higher.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    RIP Bluebird x
    *laughing*

Feel sorry for the Queen, must be tough losing a husband and such a close cousin on the same day

Mentally yes, not talking about hard work as in a 'job' or 'life' , he was heading for his dream role as chief of the Admiralty when all that happened and the queen only 5 years into the marriage take on her role , yes its out of our scope and world , yes they are privileged beyond belief , however must have effected him personally as his identity changed beyond recognition as a young man , he jsut got on wit it , you can see it did not fit easy form his mercurial manner and outbursts.

Massive conservationist back in the 80's he was banging on industrial and economic growth likely to badly effect nature in a bad way ,way before Greta
    I've no idea how you know so much about his personality before the queen became the queen, but ok let's accept you do.

He dated the next in line to throne for however long it was, and then had five years of marriage so I'm going to guess that it didn't come as the greatest of surprises to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    His lad Andrew has taken that step a bit higher.
    Don’t you mean “Lower”?

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    I've no idea how you know so much about his personality before the queen became the queen, but ok let's accept you do.

He dated the next in line to throne for however long it was, and then had five years of marriage so I'm going to guess that it didn't come as the greatest of surprises to him.
    Do you think he’s had an easier life than top class professional footballers. He put more hrs in, thats for sure. 😀

Quote Originally Posted by OurManFlint II View Post
    Still one of my all time Frankie Boyle jokes... A Greek married to a German, she must have an arse like a knackered cat flat
    And one of Phil’s sayings

‘Don’t stay in China too long or you’ll end up with slitty eyes’

Controversial he certainly was.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    why was he a great man?

He was pushed towards the Queen by Louis Mountbatten who wanted to be a King Maker. He wanted Phil to become King after George VI.