+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Duke of Edinburgh dies

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Duke of Edinburgh dies

“But ordinary things like barbecuing are held to be absolutely extraordinary when royals do them”, that is so, so it - the sense of wonderment that some people have at the notion of them doing something that most of us wouldn’t give a second thought to.

I see one hundred plus people have complained to the BBC because they made it too easy to complain about the blanket coverage of Philip’s death on Friday

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...es-duke-nation

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    “But ordinary things like barbecuing are held to be absolutely extraordinary when royals do them”, that is so, so it - the sense of wonderment that some people have at the notion of them doing something that most of us wouldn’t give a second thought to.

I see one hundred plus people have complained to the BBC because they made it too easy to complain about the blanket coverage of Philip’s death on Friday

I try to take as little interest in the royal family as possible. However, I was exposed to the news yesterday or the day before and I couldn't help noticing a major schism in the reaction of Chuck's progeny in their tributes to the late Duke i.e. the use of lower case 'g' v. upper case 'G' in the word grandpa/Grandpa.

Yours,
    The antithesis of the fawning Nicholas Witchell,
    Subject and Object,
    TBG.

I say, Jeeves, put another burger on, old fruit....

Fancy people expressing a point of view that is different from you and others on here (including myself incidentally, but they have a right to express it) Bob.

How dare they. Must be a load of plebs who lack the intelligence of many on here.

I quite enjoy some of Marina Hyde's, writing incidentally. But some seem to see her and similar writers of all political persuasions as all seeing wise sages who always get it right on such matters when all they are doing is writing is an opinion piece which sometimes hits the mark and other times is a load pf pretentious nonsense

As with many other writers of the genre of left and right I often wonder how much of the stuff they write is theirs and how much comes out of editorial meetings and they are just the ones who put it all together

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    Fancy people expressing a point of view that is different from you and others on here (including myself incidentally, but they have a right to express it) Bob.

How dare they. Must be a load of plebs who lack the intelligence of many on here.

I quite enjoy some of Marina Hyde's, writing incidentally. But some seem to see her and similar writers of all political persuasions as all seeing wise sages who always get it right on such matters when all they are doing is writing is an opinion piece which sometimes hits the mark and other times is a load pf pretentious nonsense

As with many other writers of the genre of left and right I often wonder how much of the stuff they write is theirs and how much comes out of editorial meetings and they are just the ones who put it all together
    I think you should stop and think about what you wrote there because it seems to me you're being contrary just for the sake of it. Forget the circumstances of this case, any situation where more than a hundred people complain about a complaints procedure because it is too easy to complain is completely ludicrous!

Right wingers often trot out the "it's a free country, people are free to say and do what they like" line when they haven't got anything else to fall back on as if it somehow makes what said individual is saying or doing perfectly reasonable, but complaining because it's not hard enough to complain is bonkers and should be held up as such. If you think someone who points something that obvious out sees themselves as "an all seeing wise sage who always gets it right", well that says more about you than it does about me.

I see Prince Andrew is demanding that he be made an Admiral (currently a mere vice-Admiral apparently) so he can wear an Admiral's uniform at the funeral. Poor old Harry is upset as he has to make do with a suit. You couldn't make it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    I see Prince Andrew is demanding that he be made an Admiral (currently a mere vice-Admiral apparently) so he can wear an Admiral's uniform at the funeral. Poor old Harry is upset as he has to make do with a suit. You couldn't make it up.
    Well he certainly needs to improve his ratings.

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    So the queen decides that no-one gets to wear military uniforms. Canny move indeed.

I think you should stop and think about what you wrote there because it seems to me you're being contrary just for the sake of it. Forget the circumstances of this case, any situation where more than a hundred people complain about a complaints procedure because it is too easy to complain is completely ludicrous!

Right wingers often trot out the "it's a free country, people are free to say and do what they like" line when they haven't got anything else to fall back on as if it somehow makes what said individual is saying or doing perfectly reasonable, but complaining because it's not hard enough to complain is bonkers and should be held up as such. If you think someone who points something that obvious out sees themselves as "an all seeing wise sage who always gets it right", well that says more about you than it does about me.
    No Bob I am not being contrary. I did think what I was saying.

While it is perfectly correct that there is nothing wrong with making a complaints procedure easier, and to complain about that would be rather silly, I suspect ( and should in retrospect have said this in my first post perhaps) that in this case the complaints were that the procedure had been made easier on a one off basis for no good reason.

While I think the BBC home page could make a link to the complaints procedure more prominent ( currently you have to scroll to the bottom of the page where there is a link to contact the BBC in pretty small writing. Clicking this link brings up a another page where the complaints link is pretty prominent), I found it easily enough on there and also found it by typing on 'BBC Complaints' in chrome where it came up as the first entry (yes I was bored that day!!).

So if it was so easy to find why go to the trouble of setting up a special page (which they don't normally do) for complaints about the coverage ?

Anyway I think both the 100 who complained about this plus the 100,000 who complained about the coverage itself should really find something better to do. I have expressed my view on the coverage before but really don't think it was worth the fuss of bothering about. If the Queen follows her mother such an event won't happen again for years so people will be able to watch their Masterchef finals in peace!

Your last sentence gets what I said completely wrong (dare I suggest that says more about you than it does about... you get my drift) Firstly I did not say that Marina Hyde sees herself as "an all seeing sage who always gets it right". I said that some people seem to see her and other of her ilk (on both left and right as I said) as such. And I was not referring to this matter of the complaints procedure per se but their writing in general.

No Bob I am not being contrary. I did think what I was saying.

While it is perfectly correct that there is nothing wrong with making a complaints procedure easier, and to complain about that would be rather silly, I suspect ( and should in retrospect have said this in my first post perhaps) that in this case the complaints were that the procedure had been made easier on a one off basis for no good reason.

While I think the BBC home page could make a link to the complaints procedure more prominent ( currently you have to scroll to the bottom of the page where there is a link to contact the BBC in pretty small writing. Clicking this link brings up a another page where the complaints link is pretty prominent), I found it easily enough on there and also found it by typing on 'BBC Complaints' in chrome where it came up as the first entry (yes I was bored that day!!).

So if it was so easy to find why go to the trouble of setting up a special page (which they don't normally do) for complaints about the coverage ?

Anyway I think both the 100 who complained about this plus the 100,000 who complained about the coverage itself should really find something better to do. I have expressed my view on the coverage before but really don't think it was worth the fuss of bothering about. If the Queen follows her mother such an event won't happen again for years so people will be able to watch their Masterchef finals in peace!

Your last sentence gets what I said completely wrong (dare I suggest that says more about you than it does about... you get my drift) Firstly I did not say that Marina Hyde sees herself as "an all seeing sage who always gets it right". I said that some people seem to see her and other of her ilk (on both left and right as I said) as such. And I was not referring to this matter of the complaints procedure per se but their writing in general.
    What a lot time taken up to say nothing really.

What a lot time taken up to say nothing really.

I thought that despite our differences politically there was mutual respect between us. I certainly respect your views which is why i took the trouble to write a well thought out reply in response to you rather than dash out an angry response which was my first instinct

Perhaps I was wrong to dare to say that the great TOBW had misinterpreted something I said. That can't be true can it????

Anyway I think both the 100 who complained about this plus the 100,000 who complained about the coverage itself should really find something better to do.
    They did have something better to do - but the BBC cancelled it to inflict wall-to-wall royal mourning stuff on them!