+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819 LastLast
Results 341 to 360 of 363

Thread: Duke of Edinburgh dies

  1. #341

    Re: Duke of Edinburgh dies

    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    They're sneaky b***ers. I've been caught out with that one too!
    They won't give me my uniform back either.

    I keep telling them "How can I fight Wellington without my proper uniform"

    Peasants!

  2. #342
    International
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Baku, Azerbaijan
    Posts
    10,191

    Re: Duke of Edinburgh dies

    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    Please, let's not do this - it's too depressing. My wife's background in psychiatric and social services means I've got to know of the most horrendous families and the lives of children and adolescents growing up in sexually and physically abusive homes. The home is still one of the unsafest places when it comes to child or domestic abuse. At least one child is killed a week in the UK

    And the way the term abject poverty is used feels uncomfortably like referring to the deserving and undeserving poor.

    Yes, child poverty is close to home - in Wales and even parts of Cardiff. Wales has the worst child poverty in UK.

    Look, I just wanted to point out that there are other sides to all of this disproportionate wealth and privilege and that is irrefutable.

    So, with respect, I encourage you to find out more about the issues I'm concerned with and I'll read a bit more about HRH Prince Phillip et al. You can't get fairer than that.
    Trust me Wales does not have the worst child or family poverty in the UK, nor has it had in the last 50 years. I have seen families of 8 living in a 2 up 2 down with no bathroom ,a toilet in the yard and no furniture except in the so called sitting room. sleeping on matresses on the floor and taking it in turns to sleep because there are not enough matresses. Families that didn't bath from one month's end to the next, kids and adults with ringworm and scurvy, no food in the house, never saw fruit from one week to the next.
    A 6 yr old boy walking around the town in the pouring rain at 3 AM because "It's not my turn to sleep.
    I get annoyed sometimes when I think of what I've seen in this country and hear people shouting about poverty. I realise it is hard for them but they are luckier than they will ever know.

  3. #343

    Re: Duke of Edinburgh dies

    Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Trust me Wales does not have the worst child or family poverty in the UK, nor has it had in the last 50 years. I have seen families of 8 living in a 2 up 2 down with no bathroom ,a toilet in the yard and no furniture except in the so called sitting room. sleeping on matresses on the floor and taking it in turns to sleep because there are not enough matresses. Families that didn't bath from one month's end to the next, kids and adults with ringworm and scurvy, no food in the house, never saw fruit from one week to the next.
    A 6 yr old boy walking around the town in the pouring rain at 3 AM because "It's not my turn to sleep.
    I get annoyed sometimes when I think of what I've seen in this country and hear people shouting about poverty. I realise it is hard for them but they are luckier than they will ever know.
    Please don't shoot the messenger - I'm only going on what I've seen reported and I totally get where you're coming from. I would say this though, you acknowledge that you realise it's hard for them and you're right, they're luckier than the examples you've cited, but for them, it's true of today and life is different, the demands are different.

    Anyway, I don't want to get into this sh*t because as I mentioned in an earlier post it's too depressing. I'm trying to build bridges year and winging it!

    I just want everyone on this thread to have a virtual group hug!

  4. #344

    Re: Duke of Edinburgh dies

    Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Trust me Wales does not have the worst child or family poverty in the UK, nor has it had in the last 50 years. I have seen families of 8 living in a 2 up 2 down with no bathroom ,a toilet in the yard and no furniture except in the so called sitting room. sleeping on matresses on the floor and taking it in turns to sleep because there are not enough matresses. Families that didn't bath from one month's end to the next, kids and adults with ringworm and scurvy, no food in the house, never saw fruit from one week to the next.
    A 6 yr old boy walking around the town in the pouring rain at 3 AM because "It's not my turn to sleep.
    I get annoyed sometimes when I think of what I've seen in this country and hear people shouting about poverty. I realise it is hard for them but they are luckier than they will ever know.
    https://www.poverty.ac.uk/report-wal...ild-poverty-uk

  5. #345

    Re: Duke of Edinburgh dies

    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    Please don't shoot the messenger - I'm only going on what I've seen reported and I totally get where you're coming from. I would say this though, you acknowledge that you realise it's hard for them and you're right, they're luckier than the examples you've cited, but for them, it's true of today and life is different, the demands are different.

    Anyway, I don't want to get into this sh*t because as I mentioned in an earlier post it's too depressing. I'm trying to build bridges year and winging it!

    I just want everyone on this thread to have a virtual group hug!
    the messenger was correct

  6. #346

    Re: Duke of Edinburgh dies

    Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Trust me Wales does not have the worst child or family poverty in the UK, nor has it had in the last 50 years. I have seen families of 8 living in a 2 up 2 down with no bathroom ,a toilet in the yard and no furniture except in the so called sitting room. sleeping on matresses on the floor and taking it in turns to sleep because there are not enough matresses. Families that didn't bath from one month's end to the next, kids and adults with ringworm and scurvy, no food in the house, never saw fruit from one week to the next.
    A 6 yr old boy walking around the town in the pouring rain at 3 AM because "It's not my turn to sleep.
    I get annoyed sometimes when I think of what I've seen in this country and hear people shouting about poverty. I realise it is hard for them but they are luckier than they will ever know.
    Trust me , it does

  7. #347

    Re: Duke of Edinburgh dies

    Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Trust me Wales does not have the worst child or family poverty in the UK, nor has it had in the last 50 years. I have seen families of 8 living in a 2 up 2 down with no bathroom ,a toilet in the yard and no furniture except in the so called sitting room. sleeping on matresses on the floor and taking it in turns to sleep because there are not enough matresses. Families that didn't bath from one month's end to the next, kids and adults with ringworm and scurvy, no food in the house, never saw fruit from one week to the next.
    A 6 yr old boy walking around the town in the pouring rain at 3 AM because "It's not my turn to sleep.
    I get annoyed sometimes when I think of what I've seen in this country and hear people shouting about poverty. I realise it is hard for them but they are luckier than they will ever know.
    Leaving aside the argument as to whether Wales has the worst child poverty in the UK, what is classified as poverty in the UK is light years away from poverty elsewhere (as presumably in Azerbaijan?). I have never been there but I could show you places in Uganda or Malawi or India where you would weep at the way some people have to live. For me it was a life changing experience.

  8. #348

    Re: Duke of Edinburgh dies

    Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    Leaving aside the argument as to whether Wales has the worst child poverty in the UK, what is classified as poverty in the UK is light years away from poverty elsewhere (as presumably in Azerbaijan?). I have never been there but I could show you places in Uganda or Malawi or India where you would weep at the way some people have to live. For me it was a life changing experience.
    There is no argument, Wales has the worst child poverty in the UK

    Some of the upper Bridgend valleys are amongst the poorest areas in Europe

    The fact that there are kids starving to death or walking miles for water in parts of Africa means that there are kids worse off but isn't it very worrying that in the UK there is such a gulf in wealth ?

    Kids in poverty in the UK die from malnutrition

    Many more die from starvation in Africa but this isn't a race to the bottom

  9. #349
    International
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Baku, Azerbaijan
    Posts
    10,191

    Re: Duke of Edinburgh dies

    Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    There is no argument, Wales has the worst child poverty in the UK

    Some of the upper Bridgend valleys are amongst the poorest areas in Europe

    The fact that there are kids starving to death or walking miles for water in parts of Africa means that there are kids worse off but isn't it very worrying that in the UK there is such a gulf in wealth ?

    Kids in poverty in the UK die from malnutrition

    Many more die from starvation in Africa but this isn't a race to the bottom
    Bullshit, it doesn't!!And as I said hasn't had for at least the last 50 years to my certain knowledge.

  10. #350
    International
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Baku, Azerbaijan
    Posts
    10,191

    Re: Duke of Edinburgh dies

    Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    Leaving aside the argument as to whether Wales has the worst child poverty in the UK, what is classified as poverty in the UK is light years away from poverty elsewhere (as presumably in Azerbaijan?). I have never been there but I could show you places in Uganda or Malawi or India where you would weep at the way some people have to live. For me it was a life changing experience.
    I wasn't refwerring to Azerbaijan but there is enough poverty there. And i agree with you about Africa.
    But I was talking specifically about UK.

  11. #351

    Re: Duke of Edinburgh dies

    Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    I wasn't refwerring to Azerbaijan but there is enough poverty there. And i agree with you about Africa.
    But I was talking specifically about UK.
    By the way chaps the thread started as Duke of Edinburgh dies

  12. #352
    International
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Baku, Azerbaijan
    Posts
    10,191

    Re: Duke of Edinburgh dies

    Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    There is no argument, Wales has the worst child poverty in the UK

    Some of the upper Bridgend valleys are amongst the poorest areas in Europe

    The fact that there are kids starving to death or walking miles for water in parts of Africa means that there are kids worse off but isn't it very worrying that in the UK there is such a gulf in wealth ?

    Kids in poverty in the UK die from malnutrition

    Many more die from starvation in Africa but this isn't a race to the bottom
    Believe me, whatever the linked report might say, what ever some people have to put up with in the Bridgend valleys is nothing compared to what I mentioned. And I wasn't describing 1 house to make a point, I mean house after house street after street, each one just as cold dirty shabby and rundown as the next. And I had to live with the consequences for month after month, yeas after year, the consequences of people living in those condition for the whole of their lives.
    I'm not going to argue with you because we all know you must know more about social suffering than everyone else on here. I just hope you never have to witness what I saw to make you realise you're not always right, much as it might hurt your ego.

  13. #353
    International jon1959's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Sheffield - out of Roath
    Posts
    11,242

    Re: Duke of Edinburgh dies

    https://www.theweek.co.uk/101237/ten...erty-in-the-uk

    The total number of children in poverty has risen from 3.6 million in 2010-11 to 4.1 million in 2017-18. And the Institute for Fiscal Studies predicts that this figure will continue to rise, hitting 5.1 million by 2022, as a result of “cuts to benefits and in-work allowances”

    The UK’s poorest neighbourhoods are spread across the country, but there is a notable concentration in Greater London. Tower Hamlets has the highest child poverty rates among British local authorities, at 57%, followed by the London boroughs of Newham, Hackney and Islington.

    Manchester, Luton, Peterborough and the Lancashire town of Pendle also have among the highest levels of child poverty, with all recording rates above 45%.


    Or....

    https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-new...child-23794168

  14. #354

    Re: Duke of Edinburgh dies

    Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    By the way chaps the thread started as Duke of Edinburgh dies
    this is what he would have wanted

  15. #355

    Re: Duke of Edinburgh dies

    Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    By the way chaps the thread started as Duke of Edinburgh dies
    Glad you pointed this out saves me trawling through the whole thread for some relevance.

    I was going to say, yes the Duke had his faults but to blame world child poverty on him seems a little harsh.

  16. #356

    Re: Duke of Edinburgh dies

    Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Believe me, whatever the linked report might say, what ever some people have to put up with in the Bridgend valleys is nothing compared to what I mentioned. And I wasn't describing 1 house to make a point, I mean house after house street after street, each one just as cold dirty shabby and rundown as the next. And I had to live with the consequences for month after month, yeas after year, the consequences of people living in those condition for the whole of their lives.
    I'm not going to argue with you because we all know you must know more about social suffering than everyone else on here. I just hope you never have to witness what I saw to make you realise you're not always right, much as it might hurt your ego.
    Either the figures from the child poverty action group are wrong and you are right

    Or they are right and you are wrong

    There are clearly more kids starving in Malawi than there is in Morriston but that's not the issue .

    Child poverty in Wales is a huge problem .

  17. #357

    Re: Duke of Edinburgh dies

    Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    There is no argument, Wales has the worst child poverty in the UK

    Some of the upper Bridgend valleys are amongst the poorest areas in Europe

    The fact that there are kids starving to death or walking miles for water in parts of Africa means that there are kids worse off but isn't it very worrying that in the UK there is such a gulf in wealth ?

    Kids in poverty in the UK die from malnutrition

    Many more die from starvation in Africa but this isn't a race to the bottom
    Of course - the food bank I am involved with is testament to this. I know it doesn't fit with your thinking but what xsnaggle and me are trying to say is that there is no comparison between what we define as poverty in the UK (Wales, Bridgend or wherever) and poverty in places like Uganda or India where I would argue the wealth gap is much bigger and of course there is no DWP type assistance for the poorest in those places. I think I'm right in saying that more than 1 billion people are "living" on one dollar a day. I could give lots of examples which I have personally witnessed which would be unheard of in the UK but as you say this is not a race to the bottom. A visit to Uganda (i.e. the real country not the safari parks and the other touristy stuff) might change your perspective I think.

  18. #358

    Re: Duke of Edinburgh dies

    Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Glad you pointed this out saves me trawling through the whole thread for some relevance.

    I was going to say, yes the Duke had his faults but to blame world child poverty on him seems a little harsh.

  19. #359
    International
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Baku, Azerbaijan
    Posts
    10,191

    Re: Duke of Edinburgh dies

    Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    https://www.theweek.co.uk/101237/ten...erty-in-the-uk

    The total number of children in poverty has risen from 3.6 million in 2010-11 to 4.1 million in 2017-18. And the Institute for Fiscal Studies predicts that this figure will continue to rise, hitting 5.1 million by 2022, as a result of “cuts to benefits and in-work allowances”

    The UK’s poorest neighbourhoods are spread across the country, but there is a notable concentration in Greater London. Tower Hamlets has the highest child poverty rates among British local authorities, at 57%, followed by the London boroughs of Newham, Hackney and Islington.

    Manchester, Luton, Peterborough and the Lancashire town of Pendle also have among the highest levels of child poverty, with all recording rates above 45%.


    Or....

    https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-new...child-23794168
    I noticed in the lists at the end all the places mentioned were in England, as if there is none is Scotland Northern Ireland or Wales. Never realised we are so lucky. But of course N Ireland is not Britain.
    This is not a dig at you by the way Jon, I appreciate the info.

  20. #360
    International
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Baku, Azerbaijan
    Posts
    10,191

    Re: Duke of Edinburgh dies

    Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    Of course - the food bank I am involved with is testament to this. I know it doesn't fit with your thinking but what xsnaggle and me are trying to say is that there is no comparison between what we define as poverty in the UK (Wales, Bridgend or wherever) and poverty in places like Uganda or India where I would argue the wealth gap is much bigger and of course there is no DWP type assistance for the poorest in those places. I think I'm right in saying that more than 1 billion people are "living" on one dollar a day. I could give lots of examples which I have personally witnessed which would be unheard of in the UK but as you say this is not a race to the bottom. A visit to Uganda (i.e. the real country not the safari parks and the other touristy stuff) might change your perspective I think.
    I agree about places in Africa but the place I described is in UK.
    I've seen grown men so dirty that there is literally black between their toes, men who haven't bathed for months, either because there is no hot water because the haven't the money to heat it up or because they have become so acclimatised to their living conditions that they don't notice any more. Just looking at some is enough to make you want to retch, and a lot of the women are just as bad.

    I don't even want to think about this any more.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •