Thread: Duke of Edinburgh dies

Re: Duke of Edinburgh dies

Big conservationist was Phillip

BBC have just shown a photo of him with a huge tiger he shot dead

And he enjoyed fox hunting and shooting grouse and pheasant

Jolly good chap

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if you are right and I feel a lot of the goodwill towards the Royals currently will disappear when the Queen is no longer with us.
    let's knock her off and find out

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I wonder if those of us who are either opposed to the monarchy or have no interest in it are in the minority in the UK in 2021? I don’t suppose there’s a reliable way of measuring that, but I think the percentages would be close.
    I dunno. I suspect a significant majority would have taken an interest and been saddened by him dying. Frankly I couldn’t care a toss. I haven’t complained to the BBC about their totally over the top coverage. It didn’t affect me but two have both stations giving this wall to wall coverage is ridiculous.

I was saying yesterday that, at the age of sixty five, the Queen and Prince Philip have been constants in my life and, thinking about it, there are very few around now, I can say that about about - maybe that's a bit to do with it?
    I’ve thought that a few times, with her being the longest reigning monarch there’s millions of Britons who’ve lived and died without knowing any other monarch. In the past people may have been around to witness a few king’s coronations in their lifetime if they lived as long as the likes of you and me have.

I wouldn't be surprised if you are right and I feel a lot of the goodwill towards the Royals currently will disappear when the Queen is no longer with us.
    If this MB is anything to go by, goodwill has already started to disappear.

Anyone think she'll abdicate?
    I never ever thought she would but with Prince Philip no longer by her side and if he truely was the rock her majesty says he has been during her reign, I think it might be a real possibility.

I can certainly see the Royals becoming even less popular when Charles gets the top job, even to some diehard royalists.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I am a big fan of the BBC but it's always incredibly sycophantic regarding the royal family. I was tuned into Radio 4 while driving to a walk I was leading on the South Devon Coast and as Radio 4 suspended its normal programming to convey the news ad nauseaum, I twiddled the knobs of the car radio and it was a full house. Radio stations 1, 2 and 4 (and probably 3) were all broadcasting the same very long tribute simultaneously in a way that seemed akin to what happens in Russia, China and North Korea. I daren't watch the news on TV tonight....

If you don’t watch your name will be noted for future reference

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Stop begging for your own llama, it's unbecoming. You've got to earn 'em
    Fixed it!

As someone who firmly belongs in the left and right both slag it off, so it must be doing something right, I still watch the BBC a lot, but yesterday set me thinking all of their critics might have a point. The fact it's a public server broadcaster should mean they should try to serve all of the public, including the sizeable minority who are either anti royal or not remotely interested in the Royal family. By all means, have extended coverage and reaction on one of their main channels, but there is no justification at all for it to be on both of them. Even worse though was when I thought I'd listen to some IPL or county cricket on 5 Live extra and found they'd stopped broadcasting it and then when I went on the BBC website to read their rolling coverage on the four day matches, they'd even stopped that!
    Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post

I never ever thought she would but with Prince Philip no longer by her side and if he truely was the rock her majesty says he has been during her reign, I think it might be a real possibility.

I can certainly see the Royals becoming even less popular when Charles gets the top job, even to some diehard royalists.
    I am not sure the bunch of reprobates on this board are a good guide to anything!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    why was he a great man?

didn't he start writing letters to the future queen when she was 13 and he was 18?
    I' not sure what you are suggesting with your last sentence???

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post

This MB reads like SWP or Grauniad most of the time, so not a true reflection of the wider public IMO.

Kinder politics indeed.

I have already had more than enough of the Phil stuff (to his credit he didn't want this circus) but it did remind me of this....

Prince Edmund The Blackadder, Duke of Edinburgh, dies:

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    I have already had more than enough of the Phil stuff (to his credit he didn't want this circus) but it did remind me of this....

Prince Edmund The Blackadder, Duke of Edinburgh, dies:

Su that's why Gayle King on the American news asked if it was natural causes........

Funeral next Saturday at 3pm.

with all this megxit stuff and now P phil popping it I am really surprised at how much the royals still mean to the UK.
    I was under the impression that brits thought of them as an outdated tax burden.
    Seems many are loyal to the royal family who are imo as much as an oddity as religion...It's there so we must believe it

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    with all this megxit stuff and now P phil popping it I am really surprised at how much the royals still mean to the UK.
    I was under the impression that brits thought of them as an outdated tax burden.
    Seems many are loyal to the royal family who are imo as much as an oddity as religion...It's there so we must believe it
    Its very odd

Grown women and men obsessed over all this nonsense

I am hoping to watch some TV tonight but they are still droning on and on , witchell is still at it , he must have a sore arse

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    You know you don’t have to believe it don't you?

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Its very odd

I am hoping to watch some TV tonight but they are still droning on and on , witchell is still at it , he must have a sore arse
    And they’ve not put Pointless Celebrities on as advertised. End of the world is nigh.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    You know you don’t have to believe it don't you?
    ask the daily mail.
    i know here i stand on all this ancient nonsense

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Its very odd

You wanna get yourself some Netflix Sludge

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    You wanna get yourself some Netflix Sludge
    I doubt he has a smart tv

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    You think that's all??? you're way out.

I was driving a Merc Sprinter when the original news was broadcast. The BBC controls all the radio traffic in the UK and commercial stations pay to use it. Every single channel on the vehicle radio was locked. I could not even change the channel at all. It just wouldn't work.
    And the band information was showing DAB FM and AM all at once, it was being broadcast simultaneously on all of them.

It's quite scary when you realise that the government of the day could do that and broadcast information they want to drown you with at any moment they wanted, and you can't turn it off. 1984 is closer than we know.
    The channels were freed up sometime between 3 and 4 O'Clock.
    That must have been devastating for you.

I tuned in to BBC2 this morning hoping to watch The Masters highlights. No golf, no Phil the Greek, just the live cookery programme that's usually on BBC1. Theyve got cookery on every single day, but one the rare occasion they could show some decent sport, they dont bother.
    I'm going to write to Barry Took.

Barry Took was taken a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Barry Took was taken a long time ago.
    They probably gave him a 10 minute tribute on a Sunday teatime. He deserved more.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    They probably gave him a 10 minute tribute on a Sunday teatime. He deserved more.
    a great man

The People's Pope