+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Duke of Edinburgh dies

Re: Duke of Edinburgh dies

Quote Originally Posted by Cyncoed Slumdog View Post
    Excellent TBG!

Incidentally, I've read that Harry Hewitt can wear the uniform of the regiment he served in to the funeral but not the patronage uniforms he wore previously which were all much higher rank presumably.
    He can, but it is not protocol do do so apparently Anyway his captains uniform will not look very grand against what Charles and William will be wearing.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I think you should stop and think about what you wrote there because it seems to me you're being contrary just for the sake of it. Forget the circumstances of this case, any situation where more than a hundred people complain about a complaints procedure because it is too easy to complain is completely ludicrous!

Right wingers often trot out the "it's a free country, people are free to say and do what they like" line when they haven't got anything else to fall back on as if it somehow makes what said individual is saying or doing perfectly reasonable, but complaining because it's not hard enough to complain is bonkers and should be held up as such. If you think someone who points something that obvious out sees themselves as "an all seeing wise sage who always gets it right", well that says more about you than it does about me.
    No Bob I am not being contrary. I did think what I was saying.

While it is perfectly correct that there is nothing wrong with making a complaints procedure easier, and to complain about that would be rather silly, I suspect ( and should in retrospect have said this in my first post perhaps) that in this case the complaints were that the procedure had been made easier on a one off basis for no good reason.

While I think the BBC home page could make a link to the complaints procedure more prominent ( currently you have to scroll to the bottom of the page where there is a link to contact the BBC in pretty small writing. Clicking this link brings up a another page where the complaints link is pretty prominent), I found it easily enough on there and also found it by typing on 'BBC Complaints' in chrome where it came up as the first entry (yes I was bored that day!!).

So if it was so easy to find why go to the trouble of setting up a special page (which they don't normally do) for complaints about the coverage ?

Anyway I think both the 100 who complained about this plus the 100,000 who complained about the coverage itself should really find something better to do. I have expressed my view on the coverage before but really don't think it was worth the fuss of bothering about. If the Queen follows her mother such an event won't happen again for years so people will be able to watch their Masterchef finals in peace!

Your last sentence gets what I said completely wrong (dare I suggest that says more about you than it does about... you get my drift) Firstly I did not say that Marina Hyde sees herself as "an all seeing sage who always gets it right". I said that some people seem to see her and other of her ilk (on both left and right as I said) as such. And I was not referring to this matter of the complaints procedure per se but their writing in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    No Bob I am not being contrary. I did think what I was saying.

While it is perfectly correct that there is nothing wrong with making a complaints procedure easier, and to complain about that would be rather silly, I suspect ( and should in retrospect have said this in my first post perhaps) that in this case the complaints were that the procedure had been made easier on a one off basis for no good reason.

While I think the BBC home page could make a link to the complaints procedure more prominent ( currently you have to scroll to the bottom of the page where there is a link to contact the BBC in pretty small writing. Clicking this link brings up a another page where the complaints link is pretty prominent), I found it easily enough on there and also found it by typing on 'BBC Complaints' in chrome where it came up as the first entry (yes I was bored that day!!).

So if it was so easy to find why go to the trouble of setting up a special page (which they don't normally do) for complaints about the coverage ?

Anyway I think both the 100 who complained about this plus the 100,000 who complained about the coverage itself should really find something better to do. I have expressed my view on the coverage before but really don't think it was worth the fuss of bothering about. If the Queen follows her mother such an event won't happen again for years so people will be able to watch their Masterchef finals in peace!

Your last sentence gets what I said completely wrong (dare I suggest that says more about you than it does about... you get my drift) Firstly I did not say that Marina Hyde sees herself as "an all seeing sage who always gets it right". I said that some people seem to see her and other of her ilk (on both left and right as I said) as such. And I was not referring to this matter of the complaints procedure per se but their writing in general.
    What a lot time taken up to say nothing really.

On the subject of coverage - I feel it's pretty much like a gun to the head. Or, put another way, the license fee.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    What a lot time taken up to say nothing really.

I thought that despite our differences politically there was mutual respect between us. I certainly respect your views which is why i took the trouble to write a well thought out reply in response to you rather than dash out an angry response which was my first instinct

Perhaps I was wrong to dare to say that the great TOBW had misinterpreted something I said. That can't be true can it????

Anyway I think both the 100 who complained about this plus the 100,000 who complained about the coverage itself should really find something better to do.
    They did have something better to do - but the BBC cancelled it to inflict wall-to-wall royal mourning stuff on them!

He can, but it is not protocol do do so apparently Anyway his captains uniform will not look very grand against what Charles and William will be wearing.
    All sorted now.

The Royal Family are all going in Civvies now to avoid any embarrassment to Harry.

I was losing sleep over it so I am glad it is sorted know

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    let's knock her off and find out
    First time I've ever agreed with you I think

BBC response to the complaints about the coverage of the passing of HRH The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, April 2

"The passing of HRH The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh was a significant event which generated a lot of interest both nationally and internationally.

We acknowledge some viewers were unhappy with the level of coverage given, and impact this had on the billed TV and Radio schedules.

We do not make such changes without careful consideration and the decisions made reflect the role the BBC plays as the national broadcaster, during moments of national significance.

We are grateful for all feedback, and we always listen to the response from our audiences".

If that is all they are going to say I think the message is basically Thanks for all your complaints but we think we were right.

All sorted now.

The Royal Family are all going in Civvies now to avoid any embarrassment to Harry.

Phew, I've packed away my medals as well,did polish them though , big day approaching let us all give him a big respectable send off.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Phew, I've packed away my medals as well,did polish them though , big day approaching let us all give him a big respectable send off.
    Think i'll pass if it's all the same to you, bloke an was arrogant, rude, bully, just like his middle son, but you knock yourself out

No thanks.

Think i will pass on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    No thanks.
    Aren't you one of the 30????

All sorted now.

Bugger all to do with Harry and everything to do with the paedo.

Quote Originally Posted by ninian opinian View Post
    Bugger all to do with Harry and everything to do with the paedo.
    Andrew could have worn a uniform. Just would have has to be a Vice Admiral rather than Admiral.; so he wouldn't have been caused any embarrassment.

shame for queenie and royalists that he's dead but just bury him for f sake

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    shame for queenie and royalists that he's dead but just bury him for f sake
    Be patient Sludge only 2 days to go

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    I see Prince Andrew is demanding that he be made an Admiral (currently a mere vice-Admiral apparently) so he can wear an Admiral's uniform at the funeral. Poor old Harry is upset as he has to make do with a suit. You couldn't make it up.
    So the queen decides that no-one gets to wear military uniforms. Canny move indeed.

Nah you’re alright. The hypocrisy surrounding this man is nauseating. Just be glad when all this nonsense is over.

When did they start calling him the Grandfather of the Nation.?

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    When did they start calling him the Grandfather of the Nation.?
    Randy Andy did last weekend. You must have seen it as it was on every channel 🙂

Elton John is fuming as he wanted to rewrite a populsr song including that as a lyric.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Nah you’re alright. The hypocrisy surrounding this man is nauseating. Just be glad when all this nonsense is over.
    Not his greatest fan then Pearcey??

Not his greatest fan then Pearcey??
    Nope. If he wasn’t a Royal the public would view him very differently imo. Rude, arrogant and dismissive of other cultures.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Nope. If he wasn’t a Royal the public would view him very differently imo. Rude, arrogant and dismissive of other cultures.
    That’s strange. He was very popular in other countries.