+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Duke of Edinburgh dies

Re: Duke of Edinburgh dies

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    More bullshit. Have a nice day.
    You tried.

But you must realise by now that Sludge know more than us mere mortals.

As does TOBW.

We have to bow to their superior wisdom.

And accept their criticism with good grace.

( When IS someone going to invent a suitable sarcasm smiley???)

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Full time message board poster obviously
    I was thinking he must be on Mikes payroll.
    Either that, or he’s a one man search engine.
    The font of all knowledge. I often wonder if there is any beginning to his talents.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    The font of all knowledge. I often wonder if there is any beginning to his talents.
    I like Sludge and his contributions

More bullshit. Have a nice day.
    Adios

Cutting, dear boy, cutting

Out of interest, what do you do for a living ?
    Whats that got to do with Prince Phillip snuffing it ?

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    You tried.

As does TOBW.

Well I have been kind enough to give you advice and contacts on your wife's PIP claim

But if you don't want to be pointed in the right direction just let me know

You tried.

As does TOBW.

he's very trying , I will give him that

There is certainly no end to them

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Well I have been kind enough to give you advice and contacts on your wife's PIP claim

But if you don't want to be pointed in the right direction just let me know
    Keep your hair on Sludge.

AS you know I have thanked you several times for this, and indeed I sang your praises for your knowledge in this area when tha poor chap posted about the problems with his sick wife the other day.

But you have criticised me in the past for my posts so I can surely criticise you for your when I have a different opinion.

And you are not an expert on The Duke Of Edinburgh. Neither am I I come to that.

To be fair you are getting the backlash for a TOBW post the other day when he really annoyed me and i resolved not to hold back so much as I do sometimes on posts I disagree with.

And I have also been unwell made worse by the antibiotics giving me a nasty bout of indigestion. And I have another week to take!!

My usual sunny disposition may return in a few days.

Then again..........

You tried.

As does TOBW.

I’ve barely contributed to this thread, so I don’t know what I’ve done to deserve that dig, but since you went out of your way to mention me, I’ll have my say. Thankfully, I have different opinions to you and some of the other forelock tuggers in this thread and I sometimes set them out on here, I’m not sure, in fact I’m certain I do so by saying I’m more intelligent than you or that you are stupid.

This morning Andrew Marr told me I was wrong for not being interested in yesterday’s funeral, well, if we go by this story

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-56792086

It seems that 50 million others in the UK were not interested enough to ensure that they had access to yesterday’s broadcast and that puts the emphasis the media has put on Prince Philip’s death and funeral into some sort of perspective.

I didn't mention anything about indians, you're inventing things to suit your posts again sludge, as you always do.
    As for the "slitty eyes" comment, it was made to brit students studying in China when he met them on a Tour with Chinese dignitaries on the great wall. The Chinese took no offence at it at all, only commenting that it is just the same as they calling us "Round eyes" as they do.
    It was the British press who were actually there to help promote the UK for business purposes, that picked up on it and made a huge fuss about it, implying he had insulted the Chinese nation when in reality no insult was intended or taken. It was a jokey comment blown out of all proportion be certain journos.
    But being constantly in the public eye I suppose he should sometimes have been more circumspect in his comments.

I think on balance he did far more good for people than he ever did harm and used his position to help a great number and to promote the country across the world. Not a bad thing to do in life really.

But I get the feeling that you are so bitter and envious of anyone whom you see as having more privilege than you that you could never see the good in any of them.
    It's great that those slitty eyed people found it funny. I wonder if slitty eyed people from countries that Britain colonised or that were part of the commonwealth found it entertaining too.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    It's great that those slitty eyed people found it funny. I wonder if slitty eyed people from countries that Britain colonised or that were part of the commonwealth found it entertaining too.
    There's over a billion people live in China, to say that they didn't take offence at Phil's comments is generalisation on steroids.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I’ve barely contributed to this thread, so I don’t know what I’ve done to deserve that dig, but since you went out of your way to mention me, I’ll have my say. Thankfully, I have different opinions to you and some of the other forelock tuggers in this thread and I sometimes set them out on here, I’m not sure, in fact I’m certain I do so by saying I’m more intelligent than you or that you are stupid.

This morning Andrew Marr told me I was wrong for not being interested in yesterday’s funeral, well, if we go by this story

It seems that 50 million others in the UK were not interested enough to ensure that they had access to yesterday’s broadcast and that puts the emphasis the media has put on Prince Philip’s death and funeral into some sort of perspective.
    I'll explain that dig later Bob, but I am busy at the moment.

And now by what you have written, I have more to respond to!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    I don't suppose many on this MB watched the funeral this afternoon, or if they did, would probably not admit to it! I did watch the actual funeral ceremony from about 2.45pm. What I remember most was not the military parade and the general pomp but seeing a little old lady dressed in black sitting all by herself in a cathedral-like building and feeling very sad for her. Sorry if that offends.
    That's not offensive but compassionate, and I imagine most people seeing that picture would think the same, once you get to the heart of the matter. So why stop there? Maybe we should let her retire. She's 94; if she had another job she could have retired years ago. Also, why after the death of a parent, the heir must take his/her job? All that grief and now you have to be head of state until the day you die. It's a callous arrangement and it seems to be in the bones of this country.

People might think republicanism has a French revolution vibe but it's about equality, including for the royals. How many people yesterday, in their sympathy and sorrow, thought about the way those individuals have to live their lives?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post
    That's not offensive but compassionate, and I imagine most people seeing that picture would think the same, once you get to the heart of the matter. So why stop there? Maybe we should let her retire. She's 94; if she had another job she could have retired years ago. Also, why after the death of a parent, the heir must take his/her job? All that grief and now you have to be head of state until the day you die. It's a callous arrangement and it seems to be in the bones of this country.

People might think republicanism has a French revolution vibe but it's about equality, including for the royals. How many people yesterday, in their sympathy and sorrow, thought about the way those individuals have to live their lives?
    Exactly.

One poster in this thread wrote about a semi-deified group of people who are put on a pedestal merely due to their being born in the right bed. I would ask anyone who has posted in this thread to search their hearts and ask themselves would they have preferred to have been born into that group of semi-deified people (i.e. the royal family in this case with all their wealth and status) rather than the family in which they find themselves? I for one am eternally grateful that I was not! Likewise I am eternally grateful that I was not born into abject poverty like a child in Yemen.

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    Exactly.

One poster in this thread wrote about a semi-deified group of people who are put on a pedestal merely due to their being born in the right bed. I would ask anyone who has posted in this thread to search their hearts and ask themselves would they have preferred to have been born into that group of semi-deified people (i.e. the royal family in this case with all their wealth and status) rather than the family in which they find themselves? I for one am eternally grateful that I was not! Likewise I am eternally grateful that I was not born into abject poverty like a child in Yemen.

Surely it's yet another reason in abandoning a system if the public is infantilised on the one hand and those bowed down to are unhappy with their gilded cage on the other hand, a dehumanising situation for both parties perhaps.
    Other royal families in Europe took a step down from such semi-deification and retained a great deal of wealth so it's not as if they have no choice whatsoever.
    Unilaterally bowing to another human being or referring to them as 'Your Highness' is absurdly medieval in my opinion.

International

I'm not entirely surev# that you meant to say those words, but as you are by your own admission far more intelligent than others must I assume that you did?

I'm not entirely surev# that you meant to say those words, but as you are by your own admission far more intelligent than others must I assume that you did?
    Wasn't just me then.

Actually I owe Bob a proper reply so I shall do that now

Wasn't just me then.

Actually I owe Bob a proper reply so I shall do that now
    I think that he missed out the word 'Not' although in my opinion, Bob is a lot more intelligent than plenty of posters on here

International

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I think that he missed out the word 'Not' although in my opinion, Bob is a lot more intelligent than plenty of posters on here
    I think he did too, but maybe it was just a Freudian slip

I think he did too, but maybe it was just a Freudian slip
    Nah, he's not about that. He's never been arrogant, pompous or superior. Just like you and me snaggs.....

International

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Nah, he's not about that. He's never been arrogant, pompous or superior. Just like you and me snaggs.....
    Norse elf-opinionated ? I'm never arrogant pompous or superior, it's just that some people on here are too low born inferior and/or stupid to recognise it.
    It's not their fault, we should pity them.

International

And another thing. Is there the slightest suggestion that the glasses smiley might, just might, have slitty eyes?

Time to reply.

Why that dig? Well you seem to have forgotten your somewhat dismissive reply to one of my posts on this thread the other day as follows

"What a lot time taken up to say nothing really"

Now the post you were responding to was nothing exceptional but it did make a couple of valid points including correcting what I presumed was an accidental misinterpretation of something i said in an earlier post ( we've all done that) so when you just dismissed it out of had I was a bit miffed.

So I responded as follows

"I thought that despite our differences politically there was mutual respect between us. I certainly respect your views which is why i took the trouble to write a well thought out reply in response to you rather than dash out an angry response which was my first instinct

Perhaps I was wrong to dare to say that the great TOBW had misinterpreted something I said. That can't be true can it???"

You didn't respond to this so I would guess you did not see it.

And now you accuse me of being a "forelock tugger", and that thankfully you do not share my opinions.

I've checked back in this thread for my alleged "forelock tuggung". I found that I agreed that the BBC taking up both BB1 and BBC2 was excessive. I also pointed out that I have never been a great fan of Prince Philip.

I will qualify that latter sentence by saying that I have done a lot of reading about him to confirm my previous fairly negative opinion of him and will say that I was surprised how much my opinion of him improved. I agree that he could be rude, a bit arrogant and because of this made some unfortunate gaffes ( although I suspect some were quite deliberate).

But he was also highly intelligent, good to his staff ( I have seen a few sources that say his office had a very low turnover of staff because he treated them so well.)

His work for the award scheme in his name is well known as of course is his work for the WWF ( I Know Sludge sneers at this but David Attenbrough has praised him for his work in the area and I know who I would believe!!). But apart from this I have also seem many reports of the work he did for the countless charities he was patron of

However I am not ( despite what you seem to have picked up from somewhere???) an unconditional monarchist. Even though Philip modernised them, they may still need to take a hard look at themselves when the Queen passes away. Not a republic in my view but certainly a streamlining - do they really need so many houses????

Finally on your point about the audience for the funeral. You did not include Youtube (over 8 million views at the last count] IPlayer and ITV Hub plus the various other showings during the evening ( I was going to watch it on one these but changed my mind and saw it live, mainly because I forgot to turn over!)

That adds another perspective as to how many saw it.