+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grand National

Grand National

Hi guys,

I know nothing about horses, less about horse racing, from the little I have read the only nag with any Welsh connection tomorrow is Potters Corner, being 1/2 owned by Jonathan Davies, is this right and are there any other Welsh jockeys or horses,not worried about the odds, always like to back a horse with some sort of Welsh connection.

Thanks in advance

Re: Grand National

Quote Originally Posted by Jonccfc1927 View Post
    Hi guys,

I know nothing about horses, less about horse racing, from the little I have read the only nag with any Welsh connection tomorrow is Potters Corner, being 1/2 owned by Jonathan Davies, is this right and are there any other Welsh jockeys or horses,not worried about the odds, always like to back a horse with some sort of Welsh connection.

Thanks in advance

A mate of mine is a co-owner of Potters Corner. Me and a few of my ex-BT colleagues went for a drink before the pandemic hit and my mate told us to get on Potters Corner in the Welsh National. I forgot all about the race and he duly won at a decent price.

I've never met a gambler who's lost more than they've won in their betting career, and yet..
    Bet365 boss’s £421m pay for 2020 takes earnings over £1bn in four years
    Bumper package for Denise Coates comes as gambling firm reports fall in revenue
    Bet365.jpg
    The boss of gambling website Bet365, Denise Coates, was paid nearly half a billion pounds in salary and dividends last year, as the latest in a string of record-breaking awards took her total pay since 2016 to nearly £1.3bn.

Burrows Saint and Mr Malarky for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonccfc1927 View Post
    Hi guys,

Thanks in advance
    I think its just Potters Corner trained by Christian Williams.

Sadly Secret Reprieve who won this seasons Welsh National who would have had a big chance has failed to make the 40. Maybe it will bring it home to Wales in 2022.

Potters Corner not without a chance but would prefer softer ground.

Minella Times. Winner

Rachael Blackmore. Superb ride and first woman jockey to win the National.

Class act Rachael Blackmore. Perfect race. Congratulations.

Shes a brilliant jockey. Champion hurdle , 2nd in Gold Cup and leading jockey at the Cheltenham Festival.

First female jockey to win the National.

Should win Sports Personality of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    Minella Times. Winner

And that after a brilliant Cheltenham for her.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Shes a brilliant jockey. Champion hurdle , 2nd in Gold Cup and leading jockey at the Cheltenham Festival.

First female jockey to win the National.

Should win Sports Personality of the year
    I was thinking the same about Sports Personality, but she’s Irish isn’t she?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I was thinking the same about Sports Personality, but she’s Irish isn’t she?
    Yeah i was thinking that McCoy won it but hes from NI.

Should be a shoe in for the International one if they still do that.

Minella Times. Winner

Wonderful first for a female jockey, glad the event now carries less risk to the welfare of the horses and jockeys.

Yes ! My first winner since Amberleigh House in 2004. I'd almost given up hope of picking another.

Rachael rode brilliantly at Cheltenham and now at Aintree. Agree with a previous poster who said she should win the overseas sports personality of the year award. At a canter

It's a great time to stop referring to her as a female jockey. She's a jockey and a bloody good one.

Minella Times. Winner

2nd woman to win the National!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gillis View Post
    2nd woman to win the National!
    It’s been won by a load of women at Castle Bingo....hey Castle Bingo

I go fishing which is unarguably cruel

Horse racing should be banned

In the wild horses do not go for 2 mile gallops over hedges

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    I go fishing which is unarguably cruel

Horse racing should be banned

In the wild horses do not go for 2 mile gallops over hedges
    These arent wild horses though.

These arent wild horses though.
    Which makes it even worse

Bred for pleasure

I cannot defend fishing and if one day its banned thats the way it is

The number of deaths at the Grand National , the most cruel of all races is outrageous

Which makes it even worse

Bred for pleasure

I cannot defend fishing and if one day its banned thats the way it is

The number of deaths at the Grand National , the most cruel of all races is outrageous
    Theres a whole range of sports that there are arguments for banning. Boxing , rugby , ban heading in football.

Where does it end.?

Theres a whole range of sports that there are arguments for banning. Boxing , rugby , ban heading in football.

Where does it end.?
    Humans have a choice to box , play rugby , head a ball

Me chucking in my pretend metal little fish to trick a pike or perch or trout is playing on its natural instincts and I cannot argue that it has cruelty in it

Horses bred for racing are done for human entertainment , they don't have a choice

I am being devils advocate here , I know a lot of people enjoy racing , as they do fishing but we can't deny its not morally right

Humans have a choice to box , play rugby , head a ball

Me chucking in my pretend metal little fish to trick a pike or perch or trout is playing on its natural instincts and I cannot argue that it has cruelty in it

Horses bred for racing are done for human entertainment , they don't have a choice

I am being devils advocate here , I know a lot of people enjoy racing , as they do fishing but we can't deny its not morally right
    Well the school I went to you had to play rugby. No choice.

Well I suppose you could have and faced the consequences.

Do people still regularly watch horse racing if don't bet?

Also do you have a jockey, horse, trainer who you support

Quote Originally Posted by mazadona10 View Post

I watch horse racing if I havent got a bet on. Not all racing.

Sometimes because I just like racing but also look at the race to pick something for a bet to bet in a future race. The pubs I go to if the racing is on the same time as a PL game id normally prefer the racing.

I know someone who only bets on Paul Nicholls horses. He came to Chepstow with us once and he got some inside info from a connection from another yard. The horse romped home at something like 8 to 1.

He was the only one not on it as it wasnt a Nicholls horse.

Quote Originally Posted by mazadona10 View Post

I've never been a gambler but was brought up in a household where my parents, aunty and grandparents regularly had a flutter. Consequently I've always loved horseracing as a spectacle, even when it was only in black and white on the box.

I look forward to the main racing festivals at Ascot, Goodwood, Cheltenham and Aintree but only ever bet on the Grand National. And thankfully Minella Times won yesterday, my first successful National pick since Amberleigh House in 2004.

Not since the Lester Piggott/Noel Murless jockey/trainer association have I had any particular favourites but that may now change with the Blackmore/de Bromhead combo ! What a superb jockey she is, and such a nice lady.