+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Prospective new Derby owner previously approached Cardiff

Prospective new Derby owner previously approached Cardiff

Interesting snippet in article about Erik Alonso who expects to take over Derby - subject to 'fit and proper' checks.

Mel Morris has apparently agreed a deal to sell.

Report says Alonso tried to buy Sheffield Wednesday (well publicised) but also that he made approaches to Cardiff to buy the club (not well publicised).

Mehmet Dalman said last year that Vincent Tan had rejected at least one offer for the club. The implication was that he didn't think the bidder would be a good owner, not that the bid was too low - though may nave been that too.

https://the72.co.uk/230359/derby-cou...ay-previously/

Re: Prospective new Derby owner previously approached Cardiff

Bullet missed there I think. Seems a chancer

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    But he didn’t change our colours like Tan did - so would have been an instant improvement for some.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    But he didn’t change our colours like Tan did - so would have been an instant improvement for some.
    The fact that this character didn't buy Cardiff City has made the chances of him changing the club's colours somewhat remote, wouldn't you say?

No doubt plenty of in-depth research went into that assessment.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    No doubt plenty of in-depth research went into that assessment.

Resurrect this thread in a few years and see of I am right.

Resurrect this thread in a few years and see of I am right.
    I'd make a note in my diary if I had one.

Time to move on from the colour change. I think it’s fair to say that Tan realises that it was a mistake.
    There’s not much to complain about his commitment to Cardiff City since then.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...derby-20362498

Cardiff City have set the record straight by responding to reports linking Derby's would-be owner with an alleged attempted buyout of the Bluebirds.

Cardiff City have expressed shock at claims linking Derby County's prospective new owner Erik Alonso with an attempted buyout of the Bluebirds.

The 29-year-old hopes to take full control of Derby, pending Football League approval.

But ahead of the takeover Alonso told the Spanish media “We had been talking to various clubs for a while," specifically citing Cardiff and Sheffield Wednesday as alternative options.

The Bluebirds say they did receive a call from Alonso, but insist it went little further than that.

Cardiff asked for a non-disclosure agreement and proof of funds, but say neither were forthcoming.

An NDA is a legally binding contract that establishes confidentiality and is common practice on major business deals.

The Bluebirds often get calls from interested parties, but insist Vincent Tan still feels there is a project to see through at Wales' capital city club. As such conversations do not move forward unless they believe a potential new owner would be right for the Bluebirds and is genuine.

Responding to the fresh reports about Alonso, Cardiff chairman Mehmet Dalman said: "I'm shocked by what has come out, to be honest, and wonder why the comments have been made.

"His definition of discussions is clearly entirely different to ours.

"An initial contact was made and we asked for an NDA and full disclosure of funds. None of that was forthcoming.

"It takes an awful lot more than an initial phone call to enter into proper or meaningful conversations with us."

Reports say Alonso has reached an agreement with Derby and values Championship clubs "between £70 million and £120m."