Re: What music gets to you at a sad time

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    Myfanwy - memories of my late mother.

The second verse of the hymn "How great thou art":

When through the woods and forest glades I wander
    And hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;
    When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,
    And hear the brook, and feel the gentle breeze

Although my father died 25 years ago I still cannot sing this verse as I get a lump in my throat. It brings back so many memories.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    Beautiful.
    How Great Thou Art, does me too.
    My Nan had How Great Thou Art played at her funeral about 25 years ago, so has always struck a chord with me.
    About a month after the funeral we attended a friends wedding. I didn't know it was used as a wedding hymn aswell, so a few people in the congregation turned around to wonder what all this sniffling was from the back of the church.

Re: What music gets to you at a sad time

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    My Nan had How Great Thou Art played at her funeral about 25 years ago, so has always struck a chord with me.
    About a month after the funeral we attended a friends wedding. I didn't know it was used as a wedding hymn aswell, so a few people in the congregation turned around to wonder what all this sniffling was from the back of the church.
    The second verse has huge significance to me. My Dad was in the 8th Army in WW2 and he went through North Africa, Italy and eventually was demobbed in Austria. He loved nature and we have a picture postcard which he sent from Austria to my mother which shows steep sided mountains rising up dramatically from a tranquil valley and he writes rapturously about the scene. The contrast for a lad who grew up in the Cynon valley in the 20's and 30's could not have been greater surely!