+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Footballers with strange accents

Footballers with strange accents

Just heard a Luke Ayling interview on MotD. Slightly odd accent but nowhere near as unusual as that of Emile Smith Rowe of Arsenal. Can't quite work out what's going on there. Almost some kind of a patois and a real struggle to get command of the English language. And he hails from Croydon !

I do like a good accent to fathom out but the origin of the latter really has me stumped. There's probably load of gems out there I haven't yet come across.

Re: Footballers with strange accents

Could be adrenaline surge post-match and the effect of a Tv camera would explain the butchering of the English language.

Mind you, there's a lot of it going on these days.

First Team

It is very noticeable ,in and around London and the South East, that a hybrid accent is emerging that is replacing the previous version of mockney/estuary English.

This latest addition to the fold appears, to me anyway, a combination of a London, Jamaican and Bengal accents which would make sense in that it reflects the changing make up of the population.

To the older generations, like me, it does seem slightly odd to hear this change but then again it is not exclusive to the SE of England as I remember a few threads on here about how the South Welsh/Cardiff accent has changed in recent times. Up North the Gogs seem to be unduly influenced by the Scousers who in turn have developed a far more harsh dialect . At the other end of the ship canal the traditional Lancastrian accent has been replaced in many parts by the Manc drawl as demonstrated by the likes of Oasis.

I guess accents just like languages change and adapt due to match the changes in society and the influence of outside factors.

As long as people pronounce their t's I can cope. Replacing t's with a glottal stop seems to get to me regardless of my more liberalistic views in respect of changes to language.

The "glottal stop" makes me laugh, I try to do it and find it so difficult, so why? Not recognising the 'g' in "ing" is my red flag, most famously used by Sir Alf Ramsey and our charming Home Secretary the right 'onerable, Pritti Patel!

If anybody else like me doesn't have a clue what a glottal stop is, this nice lady will tell you https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4MJUi03GHM

And Jason Perry with Peter Wittinam, or is it juts Witnam?

I had to check out what a glottal stop was too. Two examples in a current advert springs to mind. Rylan Clark-Neal comes up with 'mo ugh' for motor and 'Bri un' for Britain.

Who was that Jack freak who held up that flag once? Could never understand a word the idiot said, maybe that’s why he write stuff down hey....

Quote Originally Posted by Majorblue View Post
    It is very noticeable ,in and around London and the South East, that a hybrid accent is emerging that is replacing the previous version of mockney/estuary English.

This latest addition to the fold appears, to me anyway, a combination of a London, Jamaican and Bengal accents which would make sense in that it reflects the changing make up of the population.

To the older generations, like me, it does seem slightly odd to hear this change but then again it is not exclusive to the SE of England as I remember a few threads on here about how the South Welsh/Cardiff accent has changed in recent times. Up North the Gogs seem to be unduly influenced by the Scousers who in turn have developed a far more harsh dialect . At the other end of the ship canal the traditional Lancastrian accent has been replaced in many parts by the Manc drawl as demonstrated by the likes of Oasis.

I guess accents just like languages change and adapt due to match the changes in society and the influence of outside factors.
    The hybrid accent in the South East is very noticeable and one that has taken hold very quickly. It is also probably an indication of cultures mingling in a way that they weren't say thirty years ago. I know that accents and local dialects evolve over time but given the speed that this one has developed makes me wonder what it will sound like in another thirty years !

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    If anybody else like me doesn't have a clue what a glottal stop is, this nice lady will tell you https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4MJUi03GHM
    It is not without irony that the term 'glottal stop' has two t's in it.
    Maybe it should be called a "glo'al stop".

I speak with a fairly indistinct English accent. Many years ago I phoned my brother who has lived in Liverpool since he went to uni there. His son, who was born and brought up there answered the phone, when I asked to speak to Alan he called out "Dad, it's your brother", Alan answered "Which one?", the response was "The one with funny accent"... bloody cheek, the scouse git, he can't talk about funny accents.