+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Cardiff’s “underdogs” robbed of win in dying minutes.

Cardiff’s “underdogs” robbed of win in dying minutes.

Top six bid hanging by slimmest of threads as captain's absence is felt again.

http://mauveandyellowarmy.net/

Re: Cardiff’s “underdogs” robbed of win in dying minutes.

Smithies is our no.1 keeper forced out through illness and kept out by Phillips many good earlier performances.
    If you can’t bring back the No. 1 after the team had conceded five I’m not sure when.
    The shame of it was that he made big gaff yesterday, just as Phillips had made in his run of games.

Whilst Sang and Brown are doing ok as individuals the balance of the team losing NG and Bennett changed and the loss of Nelson and then Morrison had an even bigger impact.

Pack and Vaulks are not producing as they were and the flair up front has disappeared.

Ralls return and MM’s new contract also coincided with our worsening performances

What surprised me yesterday, and you referred to it, were the lack of changes in the second half.

I guess we need to put out our strongest team against Reading and Brentford and possibly Rotherham and Wycombe to avoid any blame coming our way.

I think Warnock started the trend that Harris & McCarthy were 'obliged' to continue, though of course they were chosen for their tendency towards percentage football anyway. The squad Warnock inherited wasn't awful, but it was half way between what you would call a footballing side, and functional side. Warnock knew that to get a footballing side to promotion would entail greater risk and uncertainty that a functional, effective machine - albeit with some dashes of footballing ability. He knows he can go to the footballing equivalent of B&Q or Screwfix, order his parts, and put the machine together.

It's left City in a groundhog day situation. Try to produce an attractive style with the ball played to feet etc. and you run the risk of it failing, due to not quite getting it right - Blackburn a prime example. So we end up repairing the 'machine', buying new parts, and starting it up again, ready to chug up the league, battering [most of] the rest aside.

Good to see our secret new signing Sam 'Vokes' get on the score sheet. 🤔
    Can't agree with you about the yellow card for their Keeper. If that's not a clear goal scoring opportunity I don't what is?🤷

Hate to write off our younger players but Brown isn’t up to it

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    The squad Warnock inherited wasn't awful, but it was half way between what you would call a footballing side, and functional side. Warnock knew that to get a footballing side to promotion would entail greater risk and uncertainty than a functional, effective machine - albeit with some dashes of footballing ability. He knows he can go to the footballing equivalent of B&Q or Screwfix, order his parts, and put the machine together.
    Just want to say I love this. Brilliant!

Will Hoilett ever play under McCarthy? I think we know the answer. So many players off form at the moment. Lots of changes this summer I think.

"I’d like to praise Jeremy Simpson here. First, although I expect most City fans will disagree with me, I thought a yellow card for Kaminski for his cynical foul on Wilson law was right"

Its a clear red for me and I think the keeper's reaction tells you he thought it was one as well. Wilson's next touch is a shot into an empty net that you'd fully expect him to score, the defender is too far away to impact Wilson's next touch, its a clear goal scoring opportunity and in my view the referee bottled the decision because it was relatively early in the match. What I've always found frustrating about such situations is the complete lack of advantage the attacking side gets when the free kick is given, the defending team can get their entire defence back and organised whilst the attacking side have got effectively a potshot from 30 yards to show for a god piece of play. I don't know what the solution is but it strikes me as the defensive side getting the reward for a cynical foul

Its a clear red. A pathetic decision.

Almost as bad as that goal Sol scored 2 years ago when the ref blew up a second before and disallowed it as he didnt see 6 foot 5 Sol in his luminous yellow shirt.

Where do we get them from?

Im convinced he gave the free kick as he knew he totally screwed up.

Unlike that disgraceful Chelsea goal in the PL this muppets refereeing yesterday wont make any difference. Its season over anyway.

I thought it was a yellow because there was a covering defender quite close by.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    The covering defender wasnt getting the ball.

The covering defender could have been an argument and id see the argument if Wilson was taken out by a defender with still the keeper to beat.( though i still would have thought red as i think Wilson would have got there ang git into an empty net).

However this situation is the keeper cleaning out Wilson and an empty net. Even if the covering defender is there ( which he wouldnt Wilson is going to get there before he can cover) its then Wilson 1 v 1 against a defender and no keeper.

Its a clear and obvious goalscoring opportunity. Its red all day.

One was level at the moment of impact but Wilson basically had a clear run at an open goal. It should've been a red even if there had been a keeper in goal but I'd have understood if the ref had only given a yellow then. There wasn't though so surely there'd need to be two defenders back to stop it being a red in that situation or am I missing something about the rule? It must be even more of a goal scoring opportunity to beat a defender one on one in that situation than a keeper.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post

The covering defender could have been an argument and id see the argument if Wilson was taken out by a defender with still the keeper to beat.( though i still would have thought red as i think Wilson would have got there ang git into an empty net).

However this situation is the keeper cleaning out Wilson and an empty net. Even if the covering defender is there ( which he wouldnt Wilson is going to get there before he can cover) its then Wilson 1 v 1 against a defender and no keeper.

Sorry, you beat me by a couple of seconds there. It's surprising how many people think the covering defender rule applies the same whether there's a keeper in goal or not but surely it doesn't? My lad felt the defender may have been in a position to clear the ball but that would only have been because the foul by the keeper slowed Wilson down. 100% red, as you say.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEAWAY View Post
    Smithies is our no.1 keeper forced out through illness and kept out by Phillips many good earlier performances.
    If you can’t bring back the No. 1 after the team had conceded five I’m not sure when.
    The shame of it was that he made big gaff yesterday, just as Phillips had made in his run of games.

Whilst Sang and Brown are doing ok as individuals the balance of the team losing NG and Bennett changed and the loss of Nelson and then Morrison had an even bigger impact.

Pack and Vaulks are not producing as they were and the flair up front has disappeared.

Ralls return and MM’s new contract also coincided with our worsening performances

What surprised me yesterday, and you referred to it, were the lack of changes in the second half.

I guess we need to put out our strongest team against Reading and Brentford and possibly Rotherham and Wycombe to avoid any blame coming our way.
    Losing Bagan was just as much of a blow as losing Bennett. IMO Bagan and Ng will be our first choices at LB and RB in the future. I don't see MMs contract extension having caused our slump. I put it down to our midfield being absolutely garbage. Vaulks, Ralls, Bacuna and Pack have been letting the side down big style Agree about the initial loss of Nelspn and then Morrison.
    Spedger

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post

I've just watched it again and the defender definitely could have got around to put himself between Wilson and the goal. He had less distance to go than Wilson did if he'd stayed up and would have been covering the goal - the ref made the right decision for me.

I've just watched it again and the defender definitely could have got around to put himself between Wilson and the goal. He had less distance to go than Wilson did if he'd stayed up and would have been covering the goal - the ref made the right decision for me.
    Even if thats the case its a 1 on 1. There is no keeper behind the defender. A covering defender is protecting the keeper and the net. The defender is the last man. Its an obvious red.

I think we will just disagree.😀