+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colin Baker RIP.

Colin Baker RIP.

Colin Baker, Wales World Cup player in 1958, one club man with City and all round nice bloke has died at the age of eighty six;-

http://mauveandyellowarmy.net/

Re: Colin Baker RIP.

RIP. Very good half back, played left half mainly (No 6) if I remember correctly

used to work with Ken Hollyman years ago and always spoke highly of Colin

think he represented Wales at youth or under 23 level too but never quite got a full international cap

RIP

Very reliable club man.

Colin Baker, City and Wales legend.
    RIP sir.

RIP Colin Baker aka BIF BAF Baker. A true City Legend.

Colin Baker was the first autograph I ever managed to get. He would stop for any fan. His wife worked in the Welsh Office and when she thought her husband was being transferred to Carlisle, who apparently wanted him, she said there was no way she would let him go.

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post

think he represented Wales at youth or under 23 level too but never quite got a full international cap

RIP
    He won 7 full caps and was part of the 1958 World Cup squad.
    Met him acouple of times and he was a lovely, unassuming bloke.

Definitely a City legend. And a local lad too. RIP Bluebird.

RIP Local Lad Bluebird

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    Colin Baker was the first autograph I ever managed to get. He would stop for any fan. His wife worked in the Welsh Office and when she thought her husband was being transferred to Carlisle, who apparently wanted him, she said there was no way she would let him go.
    My first autograph too. I remember looking at his nicotine stained fingers as he wrote in my book. He smoked 40 Senior Service a day I heard!
    RIP Colin.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyncoed Slumdog View Post
    He won 7 full caps and was part of the 1958 World Cup squad.
    Met him acouple of times and he was a lovely, unassuming bloke.
    yes you are correct he did attain 7 caps and played his last game against scotland in 1961 as well as an under 23 cap

RIP to the Tremorfa boy

Sullivan, Malloy, Baker heart of the defence. Then we we had Gammon and Hole. Never had players of that calibre from South Wales since. Yes I know Molloy was Scottish, but the others were immense.

RIP Bluebird

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post

RIP
    He got 7 caps apparently

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    He got 7 caps apparently
    And played in the '58 World Cup finals !

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    Sullivan, Malloy, Baker heart of the defence. Then we we had Gammon and Hole. Never had players of that calibre from South Wales since. Yes I know Molloy was Scottish, but the others were immense.
    Colin Baker smoked like a trooper and Derrick Sullivan drank like a fish. Two City greats though!

Only vaguely remember him with his ginger hair.
    Great servant to City
    RIP

Kept fit by playing baseball for Adamsdown in the Summer. Apparently I met him when I was nipper but I can't honestly remember. I'm not surprised he smoked like a trooper, many of the City men did (they were always men to me). I've a scrapbook of 1958 World Cup press photos from Dewi Lewis carefully stored somewhere.

I'm just looking at a huge collection of his old programmes and one from 1961 City v Spurs (7.00pm Saturday KO too) has Baker up against Blanchflower. That must have been some game.

298 appearances for City. And as TOBW mentions, one club man. Rare indeed.

Isn't that strange, I got to know Colin well for a year in the seventies and I don't remember him being a smoker when, clearly, it seems he was - there would have been no such thing as workplace smoking bans then and it seems odd that someone who smoked throughout his professional football career would jack it in soon after he stopped playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    Kept fit by playing baseball for Adamsdown in the Summer. Apparently I met him when I was nipper but I can't honestly remember. I'm not surprised he smoked like a trooper, many of the City men did (they were always men to me). I've a scrapbook of 1958 World Cup press photos from Dewi Lewis carefully stored somewhere.

I'm just looking at a huge collection of his old programmes and one from 1961 City v Spurs (7.00pm Saturday KO too) has Baker up against Blanchflower. That must have been some game.

298 appearances for City. And as TOBW mentions, one club man. Rare indeed.

That was probably the greatest City win I’ve ever seen, City won 3-2 , Spurs did the double that season. The atmosphere to say the least was electric. On a Saturday night because Wales were playing home in the 5 Nations. Official attendance was just over 45,000 but it was nearer 60,000. Amazing night.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    That was probably the greatest City win I’ve ever seen, City won 3-2 , Spurs did the double that season. The atmosphere to say the least was electric. On a Saturday night because Wales were playing home in the 5 Nations. Official attendance was just over 45,000 but it was nearer 60,000. Amazing night.
    Just reading your post sets my heart racing - I can imagine the atmosphere and that massive crowd. Also, I just noticed Cliff Jones played for Spurs that night too.
    Last edited by Citizen's Nephew; 13-04-21 at 08:11. Reason: grammar

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Colin Baker, Wales World Cup player in 1958, one club man with City and all round nice bloke has died at the age of eighty six;-

http://mauveandyellowarmy.net/
    Lovely write-up TOBW!

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    Just reading your post sets my heart racing - I can imagine the atmosphere and that massive crowd. Also, I just noticed Cliff Jones played for Spurs that night too.
    The next home game was against Villa, attendance was about 12,000. City have always had fickle attendances.