Gym ......see above

Hang Gliding .......scares the bejesus out of me

Paragliding ......see above

Abseiling......see above

Scuba diving ......see above

Surfing ........OK but not in northern california when its cloudy

Hiking up to pen y van .......no chance

Re: This Sporting Life

I tried water polo but two of the horses drowned.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    I tried water polo but two of the horses drowned.
    shocker

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Football , Rugby, Cricket .......in my youth

Swimming .......fairly good swimmer

Running , hate it

Cycling , see above

Squash , Badminton etc .......zzzz

Martial Arts ......takes tremendous motivation

Mountain Climbing .......christ no

Caving .......see above

Gym ......see above

Hang Gliding .......scares the bejesus out of me

Abseiling......see above

Scuba diving ......see above

Surfing ........OK but not in northern california when its cloudy

Hiking up to pen y van .......no chance
    Pool - lost to TLG

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Pool - lost to TLG

That’s where the horses drowned

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Pool - lost to TLG
    I leathered him

Good film This Sporting Life

1963 Richard Harris

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    That’s where the horses drowned
    🦙

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    ��
    Luckily the llamas survived

what a great thread, My youngest was talking about all the sports i used to do last week, i guess it kept me out of trouble

My oldest daughter had to do a questionnaire over lockdown about what sports people have done in younger years and does it relate to injuries and the state of our bodies, i am of the opinion i wore my body out, i guess kit wasnt as good as it is now, so your body took more abuse

Football ....... yes, in my youth, a no-nonsense CB

Rugby ....... forced to play in school, told if i didnt play i couldnt play for the football team

Cricket ....... used to go to cricket with a mate, it was ok

Basketball ...... played in school and for a club after school, i was ok at it, i am fairly tall, so had a headstart

American Football .... when the game was 1st on C4 i was in school, so we played a little, i enjoyed it

Swimming ....... not bad, i was a fully training lifeguard in my younger years

Running , after school i got well into it, ran 1/2 marathons, never did a full one, which i slightly regret, couldnt do it now, my knees have gone

Cycling , went hand in hand with running, i used to mountain bike, I had a place in the welsh mountain biking stage of the UKMB champs ( they used to give slots to locals ) i trained had been training for about 18 months, a few weeks before the race, I came of my bike on the coastal path at sully and ripped apart 4 /6 tendons at my ankle , this resulted in my leg in plaster for a few months, that was it, MB was over for me, occasionally cycle the canal tow paths with the kids

Squash , Badminton etc ....... used to play Badminton after school, i enjoyed it, Squash was always for the rich in my eyes

Martial Arts ......represented Wales at Judo

Mountain Climbing ....... looks too dangerous, even a climbing wall scares me

Caving ....... Im too big for caving

Gym ...... Used to bodybuild a little, my workmate ( on the same van ) used to complete at national level and i got dragged into it a little, i wanted to do it clean, so it was never going to work, made some nice money from the juice though , also went through a spell of doing circuit training ( mainly to meet girls )

Hang Gliding ....... not a hope in hell

Abseiling..... nope, out of my control

Scuba diving ...... backpacked around Asia then onto Australia, did a taster scuba dive at the Great barrier reef from Cairns, i loved it, backpacked down the coast, got to Sydney and thought, Oh i'll throw my hat into Scuba, did it for 8 months and became a PADI Dive instructor , came home with the intention of continuing it, some great WW2 shipwrecks up in scotland, went to local dive club, had a chat, told them i was a PADI dive instructor, the reply was " oh thats ok, we will teach you to dive properly " ( its a UK scuba joke, the uk follows the BSAC route, fair enough, but i was still feeling the love for PADI, i took it the wrong way and left, in hindsight, i can now see it was just a joke )

Surfing ........Love it, from a lad on a very cheap board down cornwall, to surfing in Oz, to back surfing here in Devon / Cornwall, the surf scene has no social barriers, doesnt matter if you are rich and will drive home in a £30K car or a old banger, the sea doesnt care

Golf ....... Used to play pitch and putt around south wales, when i could drive the lads would pop to the driving range, but never played on a full size course, always appeared to be for the rich, me being a boy from barry would never fit in

Hiking up to pen y van ....... Something i fancy is hiking, i fancy setting of from point a and walking to point b over a few days, camping along the way, when my oldest started her DofE gold i was so jealous of her doing a 5 days hike ( back in my day, barry boys comp never did D of E , or if they did, my mum wouldnt have been able to afford the boots and kit )

Football - reasonable winger. Played in the Civil Service League and occasionally Cardiff leagues on a Saturday

Rugby - love the game but never played it.

Cricket - decent medium fast bowler, played in the Cardiff midweek league.

Athletics - quite fast. Represented Cardiff schools in the long jump. Loved the triple jump too. Anything 800m and beyond I was rubbish.

Table tennis and pool - quite good at both but not exceptional

Golf - off 16 but due to lack of transport, seldom played more than once a week, so little chance of reducing handicap.

Bowls - loved the game. Most of my friends and colleagues in BT used to play it in the 80's. Won our inaugural league but as soon as I started to wear glasses I never won it again !

Parascending - would have enjoyed it but my nuts got caught in the harness. Probably the most uncomfortable 15 minutes of my life !

Tennis and Badminton - quite liked both but never played competitively

Hiking - I've been promising my nephew that we'll do the Pen y fan walk soon. Hopefully this summer.

Caving and potholing - no chance

Abseiling - I'd need to be anaesthetised first.

Gym - never been interested

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    what a great thread, My youngest was talking about all the sports i used to do last week, i guess it kept me out of trouble

My oldest daughter had to do a questionnaire over lockdown about what sports people have done in younger years and does it relate to injuries and the state of our bodies, i am of the opinion i wore my body out, i guess kit wasnt as good as it is now, so your body took more abuse

Football ....... yes, in my youth, a no-nonsense CB

Rugby ....... forced to play in school, told if i didnt play i couldnt play for the football team

Cricket ....... used to go to cricket with a mate, it was ok

Basketball ...... played in school and for a club after school, i was ok at it, i am fairly tall, so had a headstart

American Football .... when the game was 1st on C4 i was in school, so we played a little, i enjoyed it

Swimming ....... not bad, i was a fully training lifeguard in my younger years

Running , after school i got well into it, ran 1/2 marathons, never did a full one, which i slightly regret, couldnt do it now, my knees have gone

Cycling , went hand in hand with running, i used to mountain bike, I had a place in the welsh mountain biking stage of the UKMB champs ( they used to give slots to locals ) i trained had been training for about 18 months, a few weeks before the race, I came of my bike on the coastal path at sully and ripped apart 4 /6 tendons at my ankle , this resulted in my leg in plaster for a few months, that was it, MB was over for me, occasionally cycle the canal tow paths with the kids

Squash , Badminton etc ....... used to play Badminton after school, i enjoyed it, Squash was always for the rich in my eyes

Martial Arts ......represented Wales at Judo

Mountain Climbing ....... looks too dangerous, even a climbing wall scares me

Caving ....... Im too big for caving

Gym ...... Used to bodybuild a little, my workmate ( on the same van ) used to complete at national level and i got dragged into it a little, i wanted to do it clean, so it was never going to work, made some nice money from the juice though , also went through a spell of doing circuit training ( mainly to meet girls )

Hang Gliding ....... not a hope in hell

Abseiling..... nope, out of my control

Scuba diving ...... backpacked around Asia then onto Australia, did a taster scuba dive at the Great barrier reef from Cairns, i loved it, backpacked down the coast, got to Sydney and thought, Oh i'll throw my hat into Scuba, did it for 8 months and became a PADI Dive instructor , came home with the intention of continuing it, some great WW2 shipwrecks up in scotland, went to local dive club, had a chat, told them i was a PADI dive instructor, the reply was " oh thats ok, we will teach you to dive properly " ( its a UK scuba joke, the uk follows the BSAC route, fair enough, but i was still feeling the love for PADI, i took it the wrong way and left, in hindsight, i can now see it was just a joke )

Surfing ........Love it, from a lad on a very cheap board down cornwall, to surfing in Oz, to back surfing here in Devon / Cornwall, the surf scene has no social barriers, doesnt matter if you are rich and will drive home in a £30K car or a old banger, the sea doesnt care

Golf ....... Used to play pitch and putt around south wales, when i could drive the lads would pop to the driving range, but never played on a full size course, always appeared to be for the rich, me being a boy from barry would never fit in

Hiking up to pen y van ....... Something i fancy is hiking, i fancy setting of from point a and walking to point b over a few days, camping along the way, when my oldest started her DofE gold i was so jealous of her doing a 5 days hike ( back in my day, barry boys comp never did D of E , or if they did, my mum wouldnt have been able to afford the boots and kit )
    Mr Olympia

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    Football - reasonable winger. Played in the Civil Service League and occasionally Cardiff leagues on a Saturday

Rugby - love the game but never played it.

Cricket - decent medium fast bowler, played in the Cardiff midweek league.

Athletics - quite fast. Represented Cardiff schools in the long jump. Loved the triple jump too. Anything 800m and beyond I was rubbish.

Table tennis and pool - quite good at both but not exceptional

Golf - off 16 but due to lack of transport, seldom played more than once a week, so little chance of reducing handicap.

Bowls - loved the game. Most of my friends and colleagues in BT used to play it in the 80's. Won our inaugural league but as soon as I started to wear glasses I never won it again !

Parascending - would have enjoyed it but my nuts got caught in the harness. Probably the most uncomfortable 15 minutes of my life !

Tennis and Badminton - quite liked both but never played competitively

Hiking - I've been promising my nephew that we'll do the Pen y fan walk soon. Hopefully this summer.

Caving and potholing - no chance

Abseiling - I'd need to be anaesthetised first.

Gym - never been interested
    the gym is totally boring 😴

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Mr Olympia
    not really, just enjoyed sport, it was something my mum and dad could give me, time to take me places, football subs was cheap, so was Judo ( the suit / gi was pricey but i had it for my birthday one year ) and swimming, i guess that set me on the road of sport, i also had a mindset when i took something up, i had to be the best i could at it, so i gave 100% ( both my girls have the same mindset ) so i guess my mum knew paid 50p for subs i would practise at home and keep myself busy, cheap at 1/2 the price

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    Good film This Sporting Life

1963 Richard Harris
    I saw a good film the other week

National Velvet. Story was a bit far fetched though.