Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Nottingham City Centre

Packed with crazy shoppers

Camera team stop two women , shopping

" we don't like it , too many people , its not for us "

Jesus God help us , a nation of idiots
    Must be all those tory voters!!

Re: The Great British Public

The shops are open, people want to feel normal again, around here we have 14 cases per 100,000 people, thats pretty low

most i saw on the news were wearing masks, the brief contact they have from walking past someone in the street or shop means the risk is very low ( and its a risk they have accepted )

Lets get back on with life, if you are elderly and / or vulnerable, stay home, but lets not condemn people who are still following guidelines but getting on with life , the 2 old dears who were interviewed were naive to think that the city centre wouldnt be rammed, so i guess they headed home when it got too much for them

The scientific community and Governments, both devolved and UK, have a problem. On the one hand, they're trying to get us to have a vaccine because it makes you safer from COVID and, on the other, they're trying to convince us that it is still a danger - the two views are incompatible. Although the public have, generally, been brilliant so far, in that they've followed the rules and seem to have a innate knowledge of when Governments, especially the UK one, have tried to relax things too quickly, I'd say we're getting to a time now when the large majority are going to think enough is enough and try to return to something like normality - yesterday's scenes didn't surprise me and, as someone who has urged caution throughout the pandemic, I can't really blame those responsible given what it's been like for the past thirteen to fourteen months.

I bet a lot of people were returning Xmas stuff on gift receipts.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    The shops are open, people want to feel normal again, around here we have 14 cases per 100,000 people, thats pretty low

most i saw on the news were wearing masks, the brief contact they have from walking past someone in the street or shop means the risk is very low ( and its a risk they have accepted )

Lets get back on with life, if you are elderly and / or vulnerable, stay home, but lets not condemn people who are still following guidelines but getting on with life , the 2 old dears who were interviewed were naive to think that the city centre wouldnt be rammed, so i guess they headed home when it got too much for them
    Obviously not worried enough to don their face masks!

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    Obviously had their jabs and thought themselves invincible.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Obviously had their jabs and thought themselves invincible.
    To be honest I must admit to thinking that myself on times, especially as I will be having the second jab next week! Having said that I still wear my mask if I find myself in a particularly crowded outdoor space. (Not that that happens very often were we live in rural west Wales!).

There have been serveral studies that suggest that the spread of the virus outdoors is absolutely tiny and that wearing a mask makes little difference. I am of the school that now we know vaccinations are effective and the most vunerable have been vaccinated the sooner we get back to normal the better. If the elderly and vunerable are still nervous they can isolated but the rest of us should not be forced to do so.

The most ridiculous thing I see is nervous ninnies wearing masks when alone driving their cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    we call them " OAP chin warmers " in our house

Quote Originally Posted by Shrewsbury Blue View Post
    There have been serveral studies that suggest that the spread of the virus outdoors is absolutely tiny and that wearing a mask makes little difference. I am of the school that now we know vaccinations are effective and the most vunerable have been vaccinated the sooner we get back to normal the better. If the elderly and vunerable are still nervous they can isolated but the rest of us should not be forced to do so.

The most ridiculous thing I see is nervous ninnies wearing masks when alone driving their cars.
    Aren't those studies considering people going about their day outdoors, walking past someone, etc?

Not a lot of people jammed together without moving in a space that just happens to be outdoors, like in these outdoor drinking photos.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    The scientific community and Governments, both devolved and UK, have a problem. On the one hand, they're trying to get us to have a vaccine because it makes you safer from COVID and, on the other, they're trying to convince us that it is still a danger - the two views are incompatible. Although the public have, generally, been brilliant so far, in that they've followed the rules and seem to have a innate knowledge of when Governments, especially the UK one, have tried to relax things too quickly, I'd say we're getting to a time now when the large majority are going to think enough is enough and try to return to something like normality - yesterday's scenes didn't surprise me and, as someone who has urged caution throughout the pandemic, I can't really blame those responsible given what it's been like for the past thirteen to fourteen months.
    Listening to LBC tonight it seems obvious that the Government message has changed in the last few weeks

An interview from Boris abou t a month ago was praising the vaccine and saying that it was the reason the case and death figures were going down.

More recently he has been downplaying the vaccine and saying that the lockdown was the reason for the fall. IT seems he is concerned that there is a view that as the vaccine seems to be working so well we can go further in relaxing the restrictions earlier. He is especially under pressure from some of his backbencher who have always though that the roadmap was too restrictive. The government is worried thought that if it does relax the rest of the rules too soon and there is a third wave,( perhaps because of a new variant that gets past the vaccine) they would get blamed for changing things too soon.

I'm not sure the two views you mention are incompatible though. Yes the Government need to stress the comparative safety the vaccine brings but also has to point out the danger from the variants of the vaccine that could still cause devastation if we are not realyl careful with the path taken in the days ahead

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

People might want to consider what they will do if we have to into lockdown 3 because the current vaccines are not able to combat the explosion of coronavirus mutations.