+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Black Shooting In Minneapolis

Another Black Shooting In Minneapolis

BBC News - Daunte Wright shooting: Dozens arrested in fresh unrest in Minnesota
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-56729673

Apparently the officer thought she was carrying a taser gun instead of her hand gun

If this is the case and she made a genuine mistake I am sure she is devastated

But in that city , given recent history , there is going to be outrage and protests

I think all over America that if the officer involved in the George Floyd case is found not guilty of contributing to his death , and thats up to the jury based on evidence , then there is going to be serious unrest this summer

And of course when that happens nobody wins

But its easy for those of us not affected to condemn it

Re: Another Black Shooting In Minneapolis

As long as their gun culture exists, the US will always have problems, even with their law enforcement officers. Seems like they haven't moved on since the days of the Wild West.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    As long as their gun culture exists, the US will always have problems, even with their law enforcement officers. Seems like they haven't moved on since the days of the Wild West.
    Its going to hell in the big cities

Having said that its got guns everywhere

Now gun prices will rise, as they do after any publicised shooting, as people rush to get the lastest machine gun before the supposed legislation comes in - which never happens

Could you pick up your gun by mistake? mmmmmmmm

I can never understand how these things escalate from a routine stop to killing someone. Utter madness.

International

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post

Apparently the officer thought she was carrying a taser gun instead of her hand gun

But in that city , given recent history , there is going to be outrage and protests

I think all over America that if the officer involved in the George Floyd case is found not guilty of contributing to his death , and thats up to the jury based on evidence , then there is going to be serious unrest this summer

There is no excuse. If she is carrying a side arm she must be aware of it, she has to draw it out when she starts duty and load it. There is absolutely no excuse for any professional making a 'mistake' like that. And in that city given the recent history and the on-going court case it is absolutely unforgivable.

International

deleted by poster

We're in Iowa now but until a couple of years ago we lived in Maple Grove which is just a few miles from Brooklyn Center. Brutal winters aside, I absolutely enjoyed living in Minneapolis but like all major cities - and American cities in particular - there are areas where large multi-cultural groups seem to have landed together and without going into reasons why, opportunities for advancement, equality and most other things just do nor prosper there.

Brooklyn Center is one such area; imagine Butetown 30 years ago before the barrage and development of Cardiff Bay - you really had no reason to go there and not may people did even though it was just a stone's throw from the City Centre. I imagine policing in the former Tiger Bay was quite different from the way the local bobby in Rhiwbina spoke to residents about a light on their car not working. Add to that the presence of legally obtained firearms and it's easy to understand how one tv commentator put it today: 'when a white man is approached by a policeman he sees the law badge and what it stands for; the black man sees instead the array of weaponry being carried in full view - taser, pepper spray, baton, hand-cuffs, gun'.

Whether you see the US police as institutionally racist is open to debate but the data on police stops is hard to ignore and for the moment at least, all trust has been lost on both sides. In the US today, most people recognise the problems in society - and there are many - but those problems have existed for decades and society itself hasn't been able to make the improvements necessary to advance harmony. Sadly, Trump's policy of creating division as a means (he thought) of furthering his political agenda and popularity have put a swift resolution further out of reach.

Anyway, to get back to Sludge's opening and very thoughtful post, there are two points I would make: first, the officer involved IS a person who went to work that day never imagining what was to unfold and I do believe she will be devastated at what has happened. To underscore the point, my son (now 20) realised this evening that he was in the same High School year with the officer's son and that he'd been to their home once or twice, just a few streets from where we lived. An ordinary, nice family whose lives have changed forever.

And second, Sludge drew attention to the likelihood of unrest if George Floyd's killer is found not guilty. I don't think he will be as there are 3 separate charges the jury can find including manslaughter and from what is being said, despite the very powerful prosecution performance, the protections in place for law enforcement officers could well result in the weakest outcome of manslaughter and that in itself could spark unrest in Minneapolis as well as across the nation.

As Sludge said: 'no winners'.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowbridge Blue View Post
    We're in Iowa now but until a couple of years ago we lived in Maple Grove which is just a few miles from Brooklyn Center. Brutal winters aside, I absolutely enjoyed living in Minneapolis but like all major cities - and American cities in particular - there are areas where large multi-cultural groups seem to have landed together and without going into reasons why, opportunities for advancement, equality and most other things just do nor prosper there.

Brooklyn Center is one such area; imagine Butetown 30 years ago before the barrage and development of Cardiff Bay - you really had no reason to go there and not may people did even though it was just a stone's throw from the City Centre. I imagine policing in the former Tiger Bay was quite different from the way the local bobby in Rhiwbina spoke to residents about a light on their car not working. Add to that the presence of legally obtained firearms and it's easy to understand how one tv commentator put it today: 'when a white man is approached by a policeman he sees the law badge and what it stands for; the black man sees instead the array of weaponry being carried in full view - taser, pepper spray, baton, hand-cuffs, gun'.

Whether you see the US police as institutionally racist is open to debate but the data on police stops is hard to ignore and for the moment at least, all trust has been lost on both sides. In the US today, most people recognise the problems in society - and there are many - but those problems have existed for decades and society itself hasn't been able to make the improvements necessary to advance harmony. Sadly, Trump's policy of creating division as a means (he thought) of furthering his political agenda and popularity have put a swift resolution further out of reach.

Anyway, to get back to Sludge's opening and very thoughtful post, there are two points I would make: first, the officer involved IS a person who went to work that day never imagining what was to unfold and I do believe she will be devastated at what has happened. To underscore the point, my son (now 20) realised this evening that he was in the same High School year with the officer's son and that he'd been to their home once or twice, just a few streets from where we lived. An ordinary, nice family whose lives have changed forever.

And second, Sludge drew attention to the likelihood of unrest if George Floyd's killer is found not guilty. I don't think he will be as there are 3 separate charges the jury can find including manslaughter and from what is being said, despite the very powerful prosecution performance, the protections in place for law enforcement officers could well result in the weakest outcome of manslaughter and that in itself could spark unrest in Minneapolis as well as across the nation.

As Sludge said: 'no winners'.
    From what I have seen , which isn't as much as others , the officer involved in the shooting of this young black man appears to have made a terrible and fatal mistake

George Floyd was clearly not a nice guy but that officer knelt on his neck despite the guy being surrounded by armed police

It seemed an act of brutality

If he's not sent to prison if the evidence is there to convict him .....ie he's got great lawyers or the jury bottle it , some American cities are going to go up in smoke which hurts everybody

I will never forget the footage of the LA riots after the Rodney King verdict

The Officer in the Daunte Wright shooting made a terrible mistake, you can tell that by watching the bodycam video, she even shouts a warning to her fellow officer she is about to tazer him, then her reaction after it is plain to see it was just a terrible mistake

When i return to the US ( i go to disney dont you know ) if i ever get stopped by the police, i sure as hell am not going to run off / resist arrest / try and dive back in my car, the police are so on edge

The police carry a tazer and a gun, normally the gun is on the prominent side, yes the gun will be heavier than the tazer, but in the heat of the moment with adrenaline pumping and you have just stopped a known fellon who failed to tun up to court, you can see how she made the mistake

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    The Officer in the Daunte Wright shooting made a terrible mistake, you can tell that by watching the bodycam video, she even shouts a warning to her fellow officer she is about to tazer him, then her reaction after it is plain to see it was just a terrible mistake

When i return to the US ( i go to disney dont you know ) if i ever get stopped by the police, i sure as hell am not going to run off / resist arrest / try and dive back in my car, the police are so on edge

The police carry a tazer and a gun, normally the gun is on the prominent side, yes the gun will be heavier than the tazer, but in the heat of the moment with adrenaline pumping and you have just stopped a known fellon who failed to tun up to court, you can see how she made the mistake
    Daunte Wright had an outstanding warrant for a pistol misdemeanour, also refused to stop re-entering his car when warned, if he'd obeyed the law, he'd still be alive. However, whilst the female officer seems genuinely shocked, that's an inexcusable mistake for someone 26 years on the force. African-Americans make up 13.4% of the population, yet are responsible for over 50% of the homicides, (the large majority of murders being intraracial), that astonishing statistic probably does put the police on edge.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    That is sure a real issue when both parties know they can be carrying guns or weapons

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post

Yep thing your para above makes a valid point I don't get why they run the risk and behave or resist knowing it could go wrong by the many awful incidents that are so well publicised , I'd just get out slowly hand in the air or kneel down when asked which seems to be a standard procedures based on body cam discussions in the USA ?

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Yep thing your para above makes a valid point I don't get why they run the risk and behave or resist knowing it could go wrong by the many awful incidents that are so well publicised , I'd just get out slowly hand in the air or kneel down when asked which seems to be a standard procedures based on body cam discussions in the USA ?

Wasn’t it last week when there was a report of a serving soldier being flashed to stop and he made sure he stopped in a well lit area and he stayed in the car because he thought if he got out he’d be shot. The policemen then pepper sprayed him through the open window. The officer was sacked but the thing is if the soldier had been shot and killed there would have only been one story heard.

Quote Originally Posted by light up the darkness View Post
    Wasn’t it last week when there was a report of a serving soldier being flashed to stop and he made sure he stopped in a well lit area and he stayed in the car because he thought if he got out he’d be shot. The policemen then pepper sprayed him through the open window. The officer was sacked but the thing is if the soldier had been shot and killed there would have only been one story heard.
    I think its fair to say there are a few trigger happy coppers out there

BBC News - Daunte Wright shooting: Officer Kim Potter charged over killing
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-56752821

When you have armed police, then its unwise to resist arrest, even if you haven’t done anything wrong. It’s a recipe for disaster. Hope our police are never gonna be armed.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    When you have armed police, then its unwise to resist arrest, even if you haven’t done anything wrong. It’s a recipe for disaster. Hope our police are never gonna be armed.
    Most British cities including Cardiff have an active armed response car on patrol 24 7 I understand

I sincerely hope it doesn't happen but it will be London, Manchester , Birmingham , Liverpool etc first that have armed police

Was this killing racially motivated? If not why does colour even need to be mentioned??
    If the cop had done the same but to a white person you would not have posted this thread.
    This killing was a tradegy but from what i've read the colour of the persons skin was not the issue..

Quote Originally Posted by stan butler View Post
    Was this killing racially motivated? If not why does colour even need to be mentioned??
    If the cop had done the same but to a white person you would not have posted this thread.
    This killing was a tradegy but from what i've read the colour of the persons skin was not the issue..
    Well it happened in the same city as a copper is on trial for killing George floyd , another black man .

With respect if you read my post you will see that I think that the copper has made a terrible mistake . But she has since been charged in relation to his death .

I have no idea if this shooting was racially motivated or the death of George Floyd was racially motivated but people far more intelligent than you or I have the facts and figures to suggest that black men in America suffer racial discrimination at the hands of the police .

If news comes up about the shooting of a white guy in similar circumstances I will put it on here . If I don't, make sure you do .

Well it happened in the same city as a copper is on trial for killing George floyd , another black man .

With respect if you read my post you will see that I think that the copper has made a terrible mistake . But she has since been charged in relation to his death .

I have no idea if this shooting was racially motivated or the death of George Floyd was racially motivated but people far more intelligent than you or I have the facts and figures to suggest that black men in America suffer racial discrimination at the hands of the police .

If news comes up about the shooting of a white guy in similar circumstances I will put it on here . If I don't, make sure you do .
    No need to mention colour it was a male who was sadly killed. Unless it was a racist incident it's irrelevent what colour the person was as i am to believe that if the victim was white the outcome would have been the same. But then we both know you wouldn't have posted a thread on it.

Quote Originally Posted by elytillidie View Post
    Daunte Wright had an outstanding warrant for a pistol misdemeanour, also refused to stop re-entering his car when warned, if he'd obeyed the law, he'd still be alive. However, whilst the female officer seems genuinely shocked, that's an inexcusable mistake for someone 26 years on the force. African-Americans make up 13.4% of the population, yet are responsible for over 50% of the homicides, (the large majority of murders being intraracial), that astonishing statistic probably does put the police on edge.
    Anyone see the one last week where an army lieutenant in his uniform was pulled over and gassed by some mental copper, he kept his hands in display the whole time despite being asked to produce something, he knew what could potentially happen if his hands slipped out of sight. He’s going to sue them which is good news. They’ve got a massive problem over there which looks like it’s only going to get worse.

Quote Originally Posted by light up the darkness View Post
    It was in Norfolk, Virginia.
    I’ve watched the video and have to say it is absolutely disgusting how the passenger was treated.

He was a LOT calmer than the State Police.

Quote Originally Posted by stan butler View Post
    No need to mention colour it was a male who was sadly killed. Unless it was a racist incident it's irrelevent what colour the person was as i am to believe that if the victim was white the outcome would have been the same. But then we both know you wouldn't have posted a thread on it.
    I know that's bollocks