+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Belfast

Re: Belfast

I remember reading about an artist who had painted a paramilitary scene on the end of a terraced row of houses being invited to paint over it with a more peaceable theme after the Good Friday Agreement. He had agreed to do so but pulled out from the gig on the Friday before the Monday when he was to start it - the reason being that he didn't think he could paint faces having only ever depicted men in balaclavas hitherto.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Not forgetting a huge crack down on the drug gangs and organisations over the last few months has not gone down well .

If it is Brexit its good to see the under 16's become politically aware

They love a riot or two .
    Notice it’s not that big a city either, smaller than Cardiff. Does it have more than one football team?

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I remember reading about an artist who had painted a paramilitary scene on the end of a terraced row of houses being invited to paint over it with a more peaceable theme after the Good Friday Agreement. He had agreed to do so but pulled out from the gig on the Friday before the Monday when he was to start it - the reason being that he didn't think he could paint faces having only ever depicted men in balaclavas hitherto.

I don't suppose he was much good at painting doves either...

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post

I don't suppose he was much good at painting doves either...
    Consider the reputation and popularity of doves compared to pigeons.
    And then take on board that they are essentially the same bird. They are known by the same scientific term and some languages such as German call them the same thing.
    The word 'dove' has a Germanic root and 'pigeon' comes to us from Latin via Old French.

Belfast football teams.

Went a few years ago and did a black can tour of the all the interesting areas and the murals and went into the old prison too. Such a fascinating area.

Great City too, some great places to eat and drink.

The Titanic museum is incredible as well.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Notice it’s not that big a city either, smaller than Cardiff. Does it have more than one football team?
    Quite a few. The main ones are Linfield which is protestant supported and Glentoran which is catholic. There are a lot of others including Cliftonville and Crusaders.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyncoed Slumdog View Post
    Quite a few. The main ones are Linfield which is protestant supported and Glentoran which is catholic. There are a lot of others including Cliftonville and Crusaders.
    That’s quite a lot for a small city, I trust each don’t have huge regular support either then? Or do celtic and rangers align themselves to them too?

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    That’s quite a lot for a small city, I trust each don’t have huge regular support either then? Or do celtic and rangers align themselves to them too?
    Belfast is virtually the same population as Cardiff but because there are so many teams, even Linfield only get 2000 or so. Also, the ferry is full every week with Celtic and Rangers fans who go over to watch them rather than support locally. Linfield v Glentoran is known as Bel Classico.
    I've watched Larne (my wife's home toen) quite a bit who are now near the top of the table after a massive sponsorship from the owner of Purple Bricks who's from Larne.