+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Off-facebook activity

Off-facebook activity

I may be very late to this, but it had completely passed my by... I hardly use facebook any more, there are 2 people who contact me on there, otherwise I would have deleted it ages ago. As I barely use it, and the last time I did use it I made sure I had the highest privacy settings I was fairly relaxed about them not having much of my data, especially as I never actually posted anything on there, or even open the app for weeks at a time. However, I just found out about off-facebook activity, where Facebook was keeping a log of what I was doing on other apps, purchased i'd made, websites I'd visited - all kinds of stuff that I had no idea was being tracked.

You can find it on the app somewhere described as "off facebook activity" and see what they've logged about you, then "delete" it and stop them from logging more.

Quite how they manage to square all this with GDPR legislation, as I'm reasonably computer literate and I had no idea they were keeping this information about me - clearly any consent for it they have obtained had a fairly low bar for informed consent.
    If the EU were so minded I think they could go after them on this.

Re: Off-facebook activity

Someone needs to do something about all social media platforms urgently .

yep it is getting out of hand. not many governments will be prepared to take them on either. at least the gdpr legislation at least in theory has some teeth, so the EU could potentially do it.

When I was last in the States we were talking about this. One of my US colleagues said talk about something not available in the US so we discussed Seat cars for 10 minutes. We only talked. No internet searches or PC activity, no smart speakers or similar. No phone usage. Within an hour my Media feeds had adverts & feeds to Seat, even though they’re is no US connection.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    When I was last in the States we were talking about this. One of my US colleagues said talk about something not available in the US so we discussed Seat cars for 10 minutes. We only talked. No internet searches or PC activity, no smart speakers or similar. No phone usage. Within an hour my Media feeds had adverts & feeds to Seat, even though they’re is no US connection.
    I've done several similar things with mates in the pub to demonstrate it to doubters. The other day I was discussing getting photo made into a picture for my wife's birthday with the boy and less than 10 minutes later I was getting ads for the service. He has never believed it so I showed him and he said it was coincidence. He is at college studying computers ffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I may be very late to this, but it had completely passed my by... I hardly use facebook any more, there are 2 people who contact me on there, otherwise I would have deleted it ages ago. As I barely use it, and the last time I did use it I made sure I had the highest privacy settings I was fairly relaxed about them not having much of my data, especially as I never actually posted anything on there, or even open the app for weeks at a time. However, I just found out about off-facebook activity, where Facebook was keeping a log of what I was doing on other apps, purchased i'd made, websites I'd visited - all kinds of stuff that I had no idea was being tracked.

You can find it on the app somewhere described as "off facebook activity" and see what they've logged about you, then "delete" it and stop them from logging more.

Quite how they manage to square all this with GDPR legislation, as I'm reasonably computer literate and I had no idea they were keeping this information about me - clearly any consent for it they have obtained had a fairly low bar for informed consent.
    If the EU were so minded I think they could go after them on this.
    go on app in menu on app and press privacy shortcuts scroll down until you find it on facebook information centre and clear the history

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    I’ve been having similar things for pizza ovens recently after seeing a friend who has one. The thing is you aren’t being listened too it’s cleverer than that, it’ll know who you spend the with from smart phone locations and what similar interests you have and then things they’ve searched for they will start advertising to you.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    I've done several similar things with mates in the pub to demonstrate it to doubters. The other day I was discussing getting photo made into a picture for my wife's birthday with the boy and less than 10 minutes later I was getting ads for the service. He has never believed it so I showed him and he said it was coincidence. He is at college studying computers ffs.
    It’s much more sophisticated than that from what I’ve read. It’s all to do with linked up social media and smart phones and common interests and things others had searched for.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    saved you doing a google search though, glass 1/2 full and all that

Quote Originally Posted by poc View Post
    go on app in menu on app and press privacy shortcuts scroll down until you find it on facebook information centre and clear the history
    Think you also need to go to 'Manage Future Activity' and Turn Off, otherwise it will start building-up again.

while you are on facebook, you can setup up a legacy account, so if you pass away, they can control your account ( to a degree ) to let friends know about funerals etc etc

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    while you are on facebook, you can setup up a legacy account, so if you pass away, they can control your account ( to a degree ) to let friends know about funerals etc etc
    "You are cordially invited to my funeral"