+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The most boring thing you will have read this week

The most boring thing you will have read this week

As I sometimes watch German Freesat TV I just looked up if the PSG v Bayern game is being shown on a free-to-air channel.

The German website I visited in order to find out stated that the game is available free of charge on an Italian channel and internet site but I noticed that the game is listed in Italian as 'PSG v Monaco' - and I wondered if it was a typo.

On further investigation it transpires that both Munich and Monaco are known in Italian as Monaco.
    München and Monaco mean the same thing i.e. a place for monks*.
    Munich was actually the former German name for München, by the way.
    All the above names for Munich/Monaco come from Ancient Greek: (Mono = one or solitary, ikos = house) - presumably a house for those who spend time contemplating alone.

Such things fascinate me but bore other people to tears - and I look forward to this post dropping to page 2 before I wash my habit.....

Yours
    Friar TBG

Re: The most boring thing you will have read this week

Well I never. I challenge you to find another location name of the same origins. You know you want to.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    As I sometimes watch German Freesat TV I just looked up if the PSG v Bayern game is being shown on a free-to-air channel.

The German website I visited in order to find out stated that the game is available free of charge on an Italian channel and internet site but I noticed that the game is listed in Italian as 'PSG v Monaco' - and I wondered if it was a typo.

On further investigation it transpires that both Munich and Monaco are known in Italian as Monaco.
    All the above names for Munich/Monaco come from Ancient Greek: (Mono = one or solitary, ikos = house) - presumably a house for those who spend time contemplating alone.

Such things fascinate me but bore other people to tears - and I look forward to this post dropping to page 2 before I wash my habit.....

Yours
    Friar TBG
    Made me laugh.

Yours
    Friar TBG
    I am in the fascinated camp on this one.
    Did you finish your walk on the West Coast ? Going to get a few steps in at St Davids this weekend ..

The most boring thing I ever read was an edition of Drilling Contractor.

Yours
    Friar TBG
    that was very interesting

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    I am in the fascinated camp on this one.
    Did you finish your walk on the West Coast ? Going to get a few steps in at St Davids this weekend ..
    Good lord, no. I have only manage about 14 legs so far - and as each leg is only about 7/8 miles long (as 5 friends join me and it's a social thing as much as a walk) and that most of the legs have been loops back to where the car has parked we have only reached Mortehoe near Woolacombe. We are doing another 3 legs next month (Fri, Sat & Sun on the same weekend), which will get us as far as Braunton. And we will do another 3 legs on a weekend in June etc. The excellent company has made it a huge pleasure, it has to be said.

I wonder if Bob Monkhouse ever changed his name when touring overseas?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    I wonder if Bob Monkhouse ever changed his name when touring overseas?
    Münchhausen Syndrome perhaps.

It's much more interesting than some of the documents I have read, and, write for work

Yours
    Friar TBG
    Must be the way you tell em TBG

The most boring thing you will have read this week ( everything )

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Well I never. I challenge you to find another location name of the same origins. You know you want to.
    des Moines?

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Mayonnaise was allegedly created for the first time in Mahon, a small town in Minorca where the French were battling the Spanish. The head chef of the Duke de Richelieu created it to make the local food taste better.

It’s origins are even more interesting if you consider that Mahon is named after Mago, a Carthaginian admiral, making ‘mayonnaise’ the only word in the English language to have a Punic etymology.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    des Moines?
    Trappist or Algonquin version?

To be honest I looked it up

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Mynachdy literally mean’s ‘Monk’s house’, though the modern Welsh for monastery is mynachlog. Perhaps Mynachdy could be twinned with Monaco, they are, after all, very similar places.

What would be the equivalent in English? Monkton?

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    What would be the equivalent in English? Monkton?
    Ton in English place names means town though, not house

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Ton in English place names means town though, not house
    Perhaps we should ask The Other Bob Monkhouse.

Münchhausen Syndrome perhaps.
    Maybe by proxy

Quote Originally Posted by OurManFlint II View Post
    Maybe by proxy
    I was going to write that myself but thought you could instead.