+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wilson. An enigma.

Re: Wilson. An enigma.

I’m glad you get what I mean.
    Wilson has been a bit too busy in the wrong areas of the pitch (facing the wrong way) in affect had to put in a tiring shift at times grafting when we need him crafting.

I was genuinely excited about Wilson as I thought he'd be a shoo-in for Tomlin's one-man show last season and help us get to the play-offs. But, I'm afraid to say, I feel he's been a damp squib and I'm really disappointed with his performances - even in a poor Cardiff side. In fact, I'd have expected him to shine.

On the subject of assists, wasn't it Pack who played the millimetre-perfect through-ball to die for that Wilson got on the end of and scored? Or did I dream that?

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Pretty much how I see it. A lot of people are calling on him to impose himself more on games, he does impose himself. He closes down well and constantly calls for the ball so I don't really see what more he can do short of tackling the opponent's striker and running the pitch.

The issues aren't down to one one player, they're structural, for too long we've eschewed talented players in favour of grafters and its pretty obvious whenever we play. Our best hope going forward appears to be to force a set piece rather than opening up the opposition's defence with quality play.

I was excited when we signed him because it also seemed to indicate a move to a less agricultural style of play, but it didn't really. We passed the ball across the defence a bit but it still ended in a hoof to Moore so thinking back I don't really know why we bothered signing Wilson considering he obviously doesn't fit into our style of football and his inclusion into our starting XI wasn't going to miraculously us into a side capable of slick passing moves
    Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by 19bluebirds27 View Post
    What I mean is that we cannot get high enough up the pitch often enough in games where he can have an effect.

He has to go looking too often for the ball, taking him away from his position, rather than being found in space.
    We spend a lot of time out of possession, constantly trying to keep shape our counter attacks can be a bit one dimensional too, by missing out the midfield than being able to find Wilson to drive it forward with the ball at his feet and the picture in front of him.
    Like I said we wanted it work, but he just don’t suite the way we were this season.
    And the six before it.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    And the six before it.

It was mentioned plenty of times on here in recent years that the way we played meant that Premier League clubs would be reluctant to loan their better, more technical, young players to us. Harry Wilson was the player who disproved that theory, but he hasn’t made the impact here that he did at Hull and Derby and he scored more goals for Bournemouth in the Premier League than he’s done for us.
    Paul, I’m not entirely sure that that theory has been disproved. You might argue that Liverpool see no future for the likes of Wilson, Ojo or indeed Grujic as Liverpool players so their primary concern is to get them off the books and save money. If Liverpool, or any Premier League side had a player in whom they see a future would they loan him to us ? I’m not entirely sure.

I'd take a fully-fit Tomlin over Wilson every day. Fat chance of that however.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    I'd take a fully-fit Tomlin over Wilson every day. Fat chance of that however.
    I said much the same around the start of January.

As you say though Tomlin seems content with earning his money and just kicking along doing nothing of note.

Take away his goals and assists and we would be languishing in lower mid table.

It's such shame we didn't get to see Wilson and Tomlin in the same team. Finishing 5th then adding Wilson and Moore to the mix seemed like a bright season ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by 198bore View Post
    It's such shame we didn't get to see Wilson and Tomlin in the same team. Finishing 5th then adding Wilson and Moore to the mix seemed like a bright season ahead.
    Sorry, but I can't imagine a Cardiff manager of recent times picking Tomlin and Wilson in the same starting eleven - it would be one on to replace the other unless we were losing.

Think the problem is somewhere between the way we play and him being overhyped due to him being a Liverpool player and a Welsh international playing alongside some good attacking players.

He has done alright, assisted a fair amount but his free kicks have been disappointing (direct anyway) and in open play he hasn't been as effective as I'd have hoped.

Not all on him but he also hasn't quite hit the level he maybe can. Tomlin showed last year that it is possible for someone technically good to be able to drag a workmanlike team along.

Think the expectations were too high, end of the day he is with us in the championship for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    Paul, I’m not entirely sure that that theory has been disproved. You might argue that Liverpool see no future for the likes of Wilson, Ojo or indeed Grujic as Liverpool players so their primary concern is to get them off the books and save money. If Liverpool, or any Premier League side had a player in whom they see a future would they loan him to us ? I’m not entirely sure.
    I think they would, it depends who we are competing with of course. We are clearly not the man City of the championship but I also don't think many of our opponents are.

If they are prepared to loan to the championship then the quality of the players is going to be lower wherever, I think one of the most valuable things a young player can get is competitive minutes on the pitch. You could even argue a season somewhere playing a different style with more physicality could even be beneficial to a players overall growth.

Most loans I'm sure are down to nepotism.

His season is comparable to Harvey Elliot who is being raved about for what he's producing at such a young age. Judging by most recent game, Blackburn are more natural fit for Elliot than we've been for Wilson this year.

If we're going to remember one moment this year we should think about the first goal against Birmingham here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9WCbLFoh-s

At 0.08 seconds you can see Wilson has every right to pass defender and shoot on favoured left-foot but instead sets up Glatzel for a relatively easy chance. Context being that Moore had gone down in Jacks game before and, despite changing game for us against Stoke in preceding away game, Glatzel was still primarily a bench option and needing boost to his confidence. That is a sign of strong leadership skills by Harry.

Let’s not forget his stunning goal against the number one ranked International side in world football, there is a very good player in there and one we haven’t utilised to the best

I would also add that if we could attend games he would be the one player in our side you would turn up to watch, rather than watching the team as a whole

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    His season is comparable to Harvey Elliot who is being raved about for what he's producing at such a young age. Judging by most recent game, Blackburn are more natural fit for Elliot than we've been for Wilson this year.

If we're going to remember one moment this year we should think about the first goal against Birmingham here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9WCbLFoh-s

At 0.08 seconds you can see Wilson has every right to pass defender and shoot on favoured left-foot but instead sets up Glatzel for a relatively easy chance. Context being that Moore had gone down in Jacks game before and, despite changing game for us against Stoke in preceding away game, Glatzel was still primarily a bench option and needing boost to his confidence. That is a sign of strong leadership skills by Harry.
    Not sure he thought Glatzel needed a boost while making that pass to be fair.
    He simply passed to a player who had more space.

Wasn't it Churchill who used the phrase 'a widdle, wrapped up in a hysterectomy, inside an enema'?

Sorry, but I can't imagine a Cardiff manager of recent times picking Tomlin and Wilson in the same starting eleven - it would be one on to replace the other unless we were losing.
    Tomlin was Harris' man and he would have played them both.