+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Azerbaijan

Azerbaijan

Anyone planning to go to Azerbaijan for the group games? I've got tickets flights accommodation but at the moment even if the UK lift restrictions on flights here it seems impossible to go to Azerbaijan with their own domestic arrangements of self isolation negative testing before and after etc etc

Just wondering

Re: Azerbaijan

OVERALL RISK : MEDIUM

Azerbaijan is overall relatively safe to travel to, with both petty and violent crime to keep in mind and watch out for. It is advised that you remain vigilant at all times, especially when crossing the streets.
    Transport & Taxis Risk
    TRANSPORT & TAXIS RISK : LOW

Transport in Azerbaijan is generally reliable and safe, though you should be careful when on public transport as you might encounter pickpockets. Taxi drivers might overcharge you for a ride so negotiate everything in advance.
    Pickpockets Risk
    PICKPOCKETS RISK : HIGH

Pickpocketing levels are extremely high and you should remain vigilant at all times, making sure not to flash your belongings in crowded places such as bus or train stations, or public transport. It is especially widespread around Baku. Be careful and keep your valuables close by your side.
    Natural Disasters Risk
    NATURAL DISASTERS RISK : MEDIUM

Azerbaijan is susceptible to many natural disasters such as earthquakes, seasonal floods and landslides, though man-made disasters add to this number: there are many industrial disasters and transport accidents.
    Mugging Risk
    MUGGING RISK : MEDIUM

Mugging and other forms of violent crimes are on the rise currently in Azerbaijan. Avoid going out at night especially around areas filled with bars and clubs, where you can encounter intoxicated people. Male tourists are more targeted for violent attacks than female.
    Terrorism Risk
    TERRORISM RISK : MEDIUM

There is a certain likelihood of terrorist trying to carry out attacks in Azerbaijan, and these attacks could hit at any times and affect locals as well as tourists. Remain vigilant and aware of your surroundings at all times.
    Scams Risk
    SCAMS RISK : HIGH

There are many scams and frauds performed on tourists in Azerbaijan: street vendors and cab drivers might try to cheat you and rip you off if you are not careful. ATM frauds happen, though they are not too common. You may encounter people pretending to be police officers, targeting tourists and extorting money. "Fake" tickets can also be issued on roadways by fake policemen. Be wary of women approaching you in clubs and leaving you with a ridiculously high tab to pay.
    Women Travelers Risk
    WOMEN TRAVELERS RISK : MEDIUM

For a woman, especially if she's a lone in Azerbaijan, it can be pretty tough. A golden rule for women is that they shouldn't be out alone after 9pm. Of course, the general rules of precaution apply for all other times of day: avoid poorly lit and deserted areas at night and never find yourself in places filled with drunken people.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody's Rep View Post
    Anyone planning to go to Azerbaijan for the group games? I've got tickets flights accommodation but at the moment even if the UK lift restrictions on flights here it seems impossible to go to Azerbaijan with their own domestic arrangements of self isolation negative testing before and after etc etc

Just wondering
    Got my tickets refunded as it all seemed impractical to go - and it's not the most alluring of destinations.
    I was wrongly accused of a theft carried out by some Russians over there too.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody's Rep View Post

Just wondering
    I understood that the only restrictions for visiting fans was the need to provide evidence of a negative recent PCR test on arrival.

Think that is the easy bit though. I cashed in my outbound flights via Kiev but still have a Baku-Istanbul-Rome flight in play. Will probably see what I can retrieve from that unless there is more comfort about the Italy element and the hoops you have to jump through coming back to the UK than is currently on offer.

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    I understood that the only restrictions for visiting fans was the need to provide evidence of a negative recent PCR test on arrival.

Think that is the easy bit though. I cashed in my outbound flights via Kiev but still have a Baku-Istanbul-Rome flight in play. Will probably see what I can retrieve from that unless there is more comfort about the Italy element and the hoops you have to jump through coming back to the UK than is currently on offer.
    Can see your point

Looking at the government site you need to self isolate for 14 days at the moment reduced to 6 if you take another test over there and it comes back negative - willing to wait to see if things change in terms of restrictions if I'm honest as was looking forward to this trip

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    OVERALL RISK : MEDIUM

Azerbaijan is overall relatively safe to travel to, with both petty and violent crime to keep in mind and watch out for. It is advised that you remain vigilant at all times, especially when crossing the streets.
    Transport & Taxis Risk
    TRANSPORT & TAXIS RISK : LOW

Transport in Azerbaijan is generally reliable and safe, though you should be careful when on public transport as you might encounter pickpockets. Taxi drivers might overcharge you for a ride so negotiate everything in advance.
    Pickpockets Risk
    PICKPOCKETS RISK : HIGH

Pickpocketing levels are extremely high and you should remain vigilant at all times, making sure not to flash your belongings in crowded places such as bus or train stations, or public transport. It is especially widespread around Baku. Be careful and keep your valuables close by your side.
    Natural Disasters Risk
    NATURAL DISASTERS RISK : MEDIUM

Azerbaijan is susceptible to many natural disasters such as earthquakes, seasonal floods and landslides, though man-made disasters add to this number: there are many industrial disasters and transport accidents.
    Mugging Risk
    MUGGING RISK : MEDIUM

Mugging and other forms of violent crimes are on the rise currently in Azerbaijan. Avoid going out at night especially around areas filled with bars and clubs, where you can encounter intoxicated people. Male tourists are more targeted for violent attacks than female.
    Terrorism Risk
    TERRORISM RISK : MEDIUM

There is a certain likelihood of terrorist trying to carry out attacks in Azerbaijan, and these attacks could hit at any times and affect locals as well as tourists. Remain vigilant and aware of your surroundings at all times.
    Scams Risk
    SCAMS RISK : HIGH

There are many scams and frauds performed on tourists in Azerbaijan: street vendors and cab drivers might try to cheat you and rip you off if you are not careful. ATM frauds happen, though they are not too common. You may encounter people pretending to be police officers, targeting tourists and extorting money. "Fake" tickets can also be issued on roadways by fake policemen. Be wary of women approaching you in clubs and leaving you with a ridiculously high tab to pay.
    Women Travelers Risk
    WOMEN TRAVELERS RISK : MEDIUM

For a woman, especially if she's a lone in Azerbaijan, it can be pretty tough. A golden rule for women is that they shouldn't be out alone after 9pm. Of course, the general rules of precaution apply for all other times of day: avoid poorly lit and deserted areas at night and never find yourself in places filled with drunken people.
    Alan Whicker, you aren't selling this to me .

What a shambles this is.Welsh fans and the national team being short changed here. It’s not as if we qualify very often and then have to jump through hoops in the finals.

Understand that in fairness

I had tickets but refunded them. It just won't be the same with the restrictions, I can't imagine the locals would be too happy with you either.

Roll on Germany 2024

The difficulty with Baku is routes you have to take via other countries.
    At first when we planning this in 2019 it’s a bit of tour stopping off here and there different countries, keeping the costs reasonable keeping everyone happy in the group etc.

Now with restrictions, RAG countries, isolation etc it’s just looks impossible when you should be buzzing for it.

Im flying to Naples for 2 nights, then train to Rome and a day in Pisa to finish.
    I just can’t get excited.
    Even if I do get there and back without isolation etc
    What’s it going to be like over there?
    Barely any Welsh fans about, will pubs even be open.
    It should be a party.

Quote Originally Posted by 19bluebirds27 View Post
    The difficulty with Baku is routes you have to take via other countries.
    At first when we planning this in 2019 it’s a bit of tour stopping off here and there different countries, keeping the costs reasonable keeping everyone happy in the group etc.

Now with restrictions, RAG countries, isolation etc it’s just looks impossible when you should be buzzing for it.

Im flying to Naples for 2 nights, then train to Rome and a day in Pisa to finish.
    I just can’t get excited.
    Even if I do get there and back without isolation etc
    What’s it going to be like over there?
    Barely any Welsh fans about, will pubs even be open.
    It should be a party.
    North of Italy is still full lockdown (Red), further south you go (Orange). No part of the country is yellow where bars can open till 6pm. 10pm curfew and currently no travel between regions. New announcements end of April.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post
    Alan Whicker, you aren't selling this to me .
    DOING THE AYATOLLA - risk unknown..

Quote Originally Posted by OurManFlint II View Post
    North of Italy is still full lockdown (Red), further south you go (Orange). No part of the country is yellow where bars can open till 6pm. 10pm curfew and currently no travel between regions. New announcements end of April.
    No right to Rome yet then.

I recently refunded mine. It is just not worth the hassle; to many what ifs. As stated above the entering Baku has been made easier by them wavering the Quarantine period. But getting a test and the risk of having to isolate back in UK after that, and missing any further games does just not make it viable. There are other factors too, such as flight options and i am not excited about half capacity stadium and no doubt strict distancing in stadium. Pity really as i enjoyed Baku for away qualifying tie in November 2019 (**** was it that long ago.) I have kept the Italy ticket at the moment, hoping they will not play it in Rome and the slight chance that it may come to UK. The rest of my 'follow your team tickets' are still with me.
    Spedger

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    I had tickets but refunded them. It just won't be the same with the restrictions, I can't imagine the locals would be too happy with you either.

Roll on Germany 2024