+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Priceless comment from a Liverpool fan

Re: Priceless comment from a Liverpool fan

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    I’d imagine the ones from far flung places have a connection with the area, born here, parents from here etc. I doubt if many randomly plucked us out to follow.
    We were born and bred and lived in the City of Cardiff why support anyone else , not bothered with glory hunters and the awful new world of the big clubs ,they can have it , few good seasons here and there , are fine for me and the match day social interactions pre and post game are very equally or better sometimes .

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Plastic Liverpool fan alert on this thread I reckon.😂
    Wahey!! The CCMB way of dealing with folk who voice a different opinion. Gotta love it 😀

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    I'm a City fan because my uncle wanted to see the great Arsenal side of the late 60's. Just after Christmas in 1968, he took me to my first game to get a Hull stub (honestly) as you needed to get a stub to get a ticket for the Arsenal game. I was 8, my first time in Cardiff (my first time in any City). City beat Hull 3-0, Toshack, Clark & King and this randomly plucked out person with no connections to Cardiff became a through & through Bluebird.

Ironically many decades later I found out that my Grandmother was born in Cardiff (to Geordie parents who had been transferred from Durham to Splott steelworks).

It started with me and at last count I'd infected, wife, 4 sons, 2 cousins, 1 niece & 1 nephew all now Bluebirds, the closest 45 miles away from Sloper Road.
    I did say ‘I doubt if many’.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    I'm a City fan because my uncle wanted to see the great Arsenal side of the late 60's. Just after Christmas in 1968, he took me to my first game to get a Hull stub (honestly) as you needed to get a stub to get a ticket for the Arsenal game. I was 8, my first time in Cardiff (my first time in any City). City beat Hull 3-0, Toshack, Clark & King and this randomly plucked out person with no connections to Cardiff became a through & through Bluebird.

Ironically many decades later I found out that my Grandmother was born in Cardiff (to Geordie parents who had been transferred from Durham to Splott steelworks).

It started with me and at last count I'd infected, wife, 4 sons, 2 cousins, 1 niece & 1 nephew all now Bluebirds, the closest 45 miles away from Sloper Road.
    But you went to a game. And I assume you went to many more. I'd have (slightly) less of a problem with some of these folk if they went to games. Most of them just buy a top and watch it on the TV.

I used to like Man Utd as a kid, and was lucky enough to get to old Trafford for a game in the late 80’s as a teenager. Whilst I enjoyed watching a big football match, I strangely felt out of place - the people sounded different, it was a long way from home and I never felt that I fit in there. The enjoyment of the atmosphere prompted me to check out Ninian Park after I returned home and despite the much lower attendance and significantly worse standard of football, I felt at home.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    But you went to a game. And I assume you went to many more. I'd have (slightly) less of a problem with some of these folk if they went to games. Most of them just buy a top and watch it on the TV.
    I have a good friend down here on the south coast who wears his Liverpool shirt for every game on the TV, has signed Liverpool memorabilia on his wall and refers to them as “we” and never misses a game on the box.

He has never been to Anfield and never seen Liverpool at an away game down this way either. He once went to Liverpool on a business trip and we asked him if he visited the ground while he was there and he said no!

When they lost a few consecutive home games in January he said to me and our other mate ( a Leeds fan) you wouldn’t know the pain I’m going through right now - we didn’t know whether to laugh or cry

He does love football but it’s just difficult to understand for those of us who actually invest time and money to go and watch “our” team

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    There's supporting them and then there's acting like you're one of them. It's OK for kids, but don't understand how a grown man can get worked up over a club from a place he has no connection to.
    I feel exactly as you do. The thing is, there's more than one way to support a football club, i suppose. There isn't a handbook. To people like me and you and most others on here, it's an alien concept, although i'd bet that there are more people like that Liverpool fan than there are supporters like us

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    You are being daft for the sake of it here

Pontypridd is 12 miles from Cardiff

What connection do people from there have with Cardiff ? Its their nearest football club

St helens is 12 miles from Liverpool.?.......the connection is again that Liverpool and Everton are their nearest clubs

The difference is down here loads of people within 12 miles of Cardiff wear Liverpool tops because ........they are plastic football fans 🙄

Live and let live my arse , Cardiff will never be a big club with people like that around
    I live in Pontypridd, and have been a City fan since my first game in 1968, and followed them before that via the papers and results on Grandstand. It's 12 miles from Ponty to Cardiff so it is my nearest Football League club. I suppose the alternative was Merthyr Tydfil in th Southern League. There was no team in Pontypridd then apart from parks football, which i also used to watch and later play for some of those teams.

I have a friend who lives near Leicester and h is a City fan and travels to games to watch us play. he is originally from Cardiff. It all makes perfect sense to me.

I suppose the other poster expect him to change allegiance to Leicetser, and me to Pontypridd Town?

I did say ‘I doubt if many’.
    Yeah, but it's a ****ing great story

I lived in Manchester for 5 years

Never went to see or had any desire to see United or City

The only football I watched was CCFC at Bury, Rochdale , Wigan , Stockport , Oldham etc

People from South Wales who are what I call proper football fans have Cardiff City , Swansea , Newport etc in their blood and if they move to say Birmingham they might take in a few villa games for example but they will either actively follow say cardiff , often coming home for games or still look out for our results

The difference between these people and the fakes found wearing tops of the big clubs , 200 miles from the clubs ground is about as subtle as a brick

Put it this way IF there are people in South Wales with Merseyside connections ......as the cardiff fans in Birmingham have South Wales connections .......then by heck South Wales has a massive liverpudlian community , as yet not written about

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Wahey!! The CCMB way of dealing with folk who voice a different opinion. Gotta love it 😀
    or say bollox

You have taken a leathering here to be fair

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone View Post
    I have a good friend down here on the south coast who wears his Liverpool shirt for every game on the TV, has signed Liverpool memorabilia on his wall and refers to them as “we” and never misses a game on the box.

He has never been to Anfield and never seen Liverpool at an away game down this way either. He once went to Liverpool on a business trip and we asked him if he visited the ground while he was there and he said no!

When they lost a few consecutive home games in January he said to me and our other mate ( a Leeds fan) you wouldn’t know the pain I’m going through right now - we didn’t know whether to laugh or cry

He does love football but it’s just difficult to understand for those of us who actually invest time and money to go and watch “our” team
    I have no doubt he loves football and loves Liverpool and does feel gutted when they lose but the wider football community know the score here

People like him haven't been up to catch the 0625 to Paddington or gone to Mansfield or Lincoln and lost

Genuine Liverpool fans from Merseyside and genuine United fans from Manchester would rather chat to proper football fans than these hangers on , many working class scousers and mancs were priced out of home games as the clubs knew there were loads of day tripper fans ready to fill anfield and old Trafford

The rest just watch on the TV

From Devon, Dorset , South Wales , Berkshire, Surrey

I have no doubt he loves football and loves Liverpool and does feel gutted when they lose but the wider football community know the score here

People like him haven't been up to catch the 0625 to Paddington or gone to Mansfield or Lincoln and lost

Genuine Liverpool fans from Merseyside and genuine United fans from Manchester would rather chat to proper football fans than these hangers on , many working class scousers and mancs were priced out of home games as the clubs knew there were loads of day tripper fans ready to fill anfield and old Trafford

The rest just watch on the TV

From Devon, Dorset , South Wales , Berkshire, Surrey
    A few years back we met up with a family from Audenshaw on holiday in Lanzarote, kids were playing together and we ended up having a few beers with them. He was disillusioned Man Utd fan, he used to go to games at Old Trafford, few pints in The Trafford or Dog and Partridge before and after the game, he loved it. But, and this was over 20 years ago, he reckoned his club didn’t want the likes of locals like him any more just paying the watch the match. They were pushing the commercial side 100mph, his take on it was that they were more interested in coaches from all parts of the country pulling up at the megastore hours before kick off, spending a fortune on tat, the next home game there’d be coaches from other parts of the country doing the self same thing. It worked I s’pose, they became the richest club in the world through such a strategy but the disdain they showed for their local fans leaves a bad taste in the mouth. I wonder if FC United will make the Football League one day?

A few years back we met up with a family from Audenshaw on holiday in Lanzarote, kids were playing together and we ended up having a few beers with them. He was disillusioned Man Utd fan, he used to go to games at Old Trafford, few pints in The Trafford or Dog and Partridge before and after the game, he loved it. But, and this was over 20 years ago, he reckoned his club didn’t want the likes of locals like him any more just paying the watch the match. They were pushing the commercial side 100mph, his take on it was that they were more interested in coaches from all parts of the country pulling up at the megastore hours before kick off, spending a fortune on tat, the next home game there’d be coaches from other parts of the country doing the self same thing. It worked I s’pose, they became the richest club in the world through such a strategy but the disdain they showed for their local fans leaves a bad taste in the mouth. I wonder if FC United will make the Football League one day?
    I certainly hope they do

Both United and Liverpool are horrible corporate beasts and I always want them to lose

Of course so are city , chelsea, arsenal and spurs

Would be good if Norwich put one on the big boys next season

I certainly hope they do

Both United and Liverpool are horrible corporate beasts and I always want them to lose

Of course so are city , chelsea, arsenal and spurs

Would be good if Norwich put one on the big boys next season
    What I find particularly annoying about Liverpool is that they way they present themselves as this working class club for local people rather than the corporate beast currently trying to suck all competition out of the game, at least Man United embrace what they are somewhat

Must be incredibly difficult for the likes of Stockport and Tranmere to attract fans from the local area when you've got Liverpool, United, Man City and Everton just down the road

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    What I find particularly annoying about Liverpool is that they way they present themselves as this working class club for local people rather than the corporate beast currently trying to suck all competition out of the game, at least Man United embrace what they are somewhat

Must be incredibly difficult for the likes of Stockport and Tranmere to attract fans from the local area when you've got Liverpool, United, Man City and Everton just down the road
    absolutely

Rochdale , Bury , Oldham

I remember being down the local many years back and a couple of squaddies were having a pint , minding their own business , one had a Oldham top on

One of the local arseholes , a United fan who has never been started winding them up as Oldham had started tumbling down the leagues

I bet this bloke , quite understandably thought I have come out for a quiet pint , in Wales and some taff idiot who should be wearing a cardiff shirt is singing United songs at me ?

This pillock carried on and got knocked out

It was hilarious

absolutely

Rochdale , Bury , Oldham

I remember being down the local many years back and a couple of squaddies were having a pint , minding their own business , one had a Oldham top on

One of the local arseholes , a United fan who has never been started winding them up as Oldham had started tumbling down the leagues

I bet this bloke , quite understandably thought I have come out for a quiet pint , in Wales and some taff idiot who should be wearing a cardiff shirt is singing United songs at me ?

This pillock carried on and got knocked out

It was hilarious
    Jackanory. You were probably on the mushrooms when you thought this one up.
    You come out with more shit, than a rugby team after a curry.

An interesting debate.

It’d be great to hear people’s thoughts on Cardiff City supporters in, say, Asia, who may never come to the UK and watch our team, but buy a shirt and watch on TV.

Is that a bad thing?

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    An interesting debate.

It’d be great to hear people’s thoughts on Cardiff City supporters in, say, Asia, who may never come to the UK and watch our team, but buy a shirt and watch on TV.

Is that a bad thing?
    A good question but one that should first be viewed from an Asian perspective.

Two football fans in the same Japanese city, one who supports Nagoya Grampus Eight and the other a Cardiff City fan, who has never visited the UK but for some reason buys the City kit and loves the team.

Is the Grampus Eight fan a bit miffed because his fellow countryman supports an an all-conquering European super team ? Yes probably, especially if he wants his team's fanbase to increase.

From a Cardiff City perspective, would we welcome this gentleman from the Far East into the fold ? More than likely we would and quite enthusiastically too.

So even though it may seem hypocritical, it is possible to take a dislike to a local lad who follows Liverpool but on the other hand welcome a non-local who chooses to follow the mighty Bluebirds.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Jackanory. You were probably on the mushrooms when you thought this one up.
    You come out with more shit, than a rugby team after a curry.
    100 percent true

They picked on the wrong lads

I laughed my arse off

At Euro 2016 we started chatting to a father and son from North Wales in a Bordeaux pub. Turned out they were both Man U. fans. After a shaky start and a few pints we got into a decent discussion about football which ended-up with the dad crying in the pub over a signed picture of Giggs his family had bought him.

It surprised a bit about how passionate he was over his adopted club. Made me think a bit differently about ‘plastic’ fans tbh.

At the same time I’ve lived in England longer than Wales now but could never support anybody but the City. It really is a roots thing for me. We all have our own motivations for following a club I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    At Euro 2016 we started chatting to a father and son from North Wales in a Bordeaux pub. Turned out they were both Man U. fans. After a shaky start and a few pints we got into a decent discussion about football which ended-up with the dad crying in the pub over a signed picture of Giggs his family had bought him.

It surprised a bit about how passionate he was over his adopted club. Made me think a bit differently about ‘plastic’ fans tbh.

At the same time I’ve lived in England longer than Wales now but could never support anybody but the City. It really is a roots thing for me. We all have our own motivations for following a club I suppose.
    a lot of north walians support Liverpool, Everton or United

Understandable as its within an hour for many of them

But people from pontypridd cheering on man United then a week later booing the English rugby team ?

Naa

But people from pontypridd cheering on man United then a week later booing the English rugby team ?

Naa
    Bearing in mind Wrexham would have been a league club for most of the time this chap was growing-up, are you giving the green light for South Walians to go and follow the wurzels there Sludge, in the highly unlikely event they were ever to become a successful club?

Naa
    I call them the reversible shirt brigade, red, with 3 feathers on and ‘Kill the English scum’, next day turn it inside out and, hey presto, it’s got a Liver bird on and it’s ‘We're the best team in England’.

I call them the reversible shirt brigade, red, with 3 feathers on and ‘Kill the English scum’, next day turn it inside out and, hey presto, it’s got a Liver bird on and it’s ‘We're the best team in England’.
    Toothless simpletons with sideburns and yellow teeth