+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Favourite British City , Other Than Cardiff ?

Favourite British City , Other Than Cardiff ?

Glasgow , Bradford , Sheffield , Newcastle

Stoke is a complete dump

Coventry has got its down sides but good people , I like it there

Feedback

Re: Favourite British City , Other Than Cardiff ?

Manchester, its a conveyor belt of quality music

Quote Originally Posted by Feedback View Post
    Manchester, its a conveyor belt of quality music
    spent four years in Manchester, found Mancs really funny , loads of Karl Pilkington dry as you can get types up there

Clearly loads to do and a great live music scene but I found it a bit miserable

Of the M62 cities I preferred Bradford and Leeds

Having moved to London it's hard not to say that but it's also simultaneously the worst - also a boring pick. Loved newcastle when i visited a few years back, nice city centre and even nicer people.

Brighton another very good city, a lot about it.

Nottingham, Brighton, Edinburgh, Bristol

I guess also London - in a way

Sheffield - like a big village with loads of sports and culture, a walk out into the Peak District, generally very friendly people - and it’s not Leeds!

Just beats Manchester which I also (used to) know very well.

Belfast, York, Aberdeen (in the summer)

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post

Stoke is a complete dump

Leeds is one of my favourite cities, worked up for there for a year or two, something to do every night of the week! Call Lane has some great independent bars and clubs.

London, can find whatever you want.

Quite like Manchester, was good nightlife, the bits I saw were well maintained, busy without it being London busy which is sometimes nice.

Smaller cities - Bath, Brighton, Canterbury, Norwich. Bath if I had to pick one of those.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post

Stoke is a complete dump

In terms of people some of the northern cities are wonderful. Great people, funny and down to earth. Manchester is a great case in point. But I care little for the aesthetics of Manchester.. lots of it new and shiny but a bit soulless.

Bath is a lovely city. Bristol is also decent.

Agree about Stoke, horrible city, horrible people.

London is almost hard to even define as a single place - some parts of London are vibrant and lots of historic buildings and great people. Other parts, meh.

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Peter View Post
    Smaller cities - Bath, Brighton, Canterbury, Norwich. Bath if I had to pick one of those.
    Yes I mentioned in my post Bath, also yes, you're right Canterbury is also a very underrated.

Bristol is decent, nightlife, bands, good looking women too. Just let down by the football clubs

Newport anyone ?

Bradford? Really?

Bath, Edinburgh

York.

Brighton is fun and has a nice feel to it, plenty to do. Sheffield was great, the people are sound and willing to help. South London-Very under rated and gets a bit of a raw deal. Some very weird and wonderful people, great food, things to do that wouldn't enter a normal persons mind. People sort of do what they want a fair bit in my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatty Thornton View Post
    Leeds is one of my favourite cities, worked up for there for a year or two, something to do every night of the week! Call Lane has some great independent bars and clubs.
    I can't stand Leeds United but its a great city

First Team

London as I was born there and partially brought up before leaving as a teen but returned at 18 and now have a home close by.

Outside of that I actually prefer the rural villages but if pushed would say Chester, York, Bath and Bristol are all decent places.

Don’t get the love for Brighton as I find it a bit seedy and the beach is rubbish. If I had to pick a seaside city it would be Bournemouth but not sure that it has city status.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    Bradford? Really?

Bath, Edinburgh
    Bradford is seen by outsiders as a miserable northern town but it has so much going for it

Cheap housing , food from all over the world , beautiful scenary , great fishing

Peterbrough. They have the best pub in the UK on a massive floating barge called Charters bar.
    If like me you love all your real ales then you will be like a kid in a sweetshop if you ever get a chance to visit.
    They have about 50 cask ales and ciders on draught at any one time, they have unthinkable amounts of Belgium beers including the trappist ales you could ever imagine.

They have a massive outdoor beer garden next to the barge which is based on a bavarian beer garden. Lots of tables and chairs/benches and a live music band stand under cover.
    Its under the bridge on London Road by Peterborough United ground.
    https://youtu.be/N9mObgG3r-Q

Always go up for the Peterborough beer festival every year for the last 25 years or more.
    Anyone ever been to the beer festival? Biggest one in UK.
    Look at YouTube videos.

Quote Originally Posted by uncle bob View Post
    Peterbrough. They have the best pub in the UK on a massive floating barge called Charters bar.
    If like me you love all your real ales then you will be like a kid in a sweetshop if you ever get a chance to visit.
    They have about 50 cask ales and ciders on draught at any one time, they have unthinkable amounts of Belgium beers including the trappist ales you could ever imagine.

They have a massive outdoor beer garden next to the barge which is based on a bavarian beer garden. Lots of tables and chairs/benches and a live music band stand under cover.
    Its under the bridge on London Road by Peterborough United ground.
    https://youtu.be/N9mObgG3r-Q

Always go up for the Peterborough beer festival every year for the last 25 years or more.
    Anyone ever been to the beer festival? Biggest one in UK.
    Look at YouTube videos.
    that pub sounds great, I hate Peterborough though, due to too many work trips there in a previous job.

the whole area is just so flat, not seeing any hills anywhere I just found vaguely depressing

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    that pub sounds great, I hate Peterborough though, due to too many work trips there in a previous job.

the whole area is just so flat, not seeing any hills anywhere I just found vaguely depressing
    On a side note I’ve only been there twice with city, mostly over 25 yrs ago, it was carnage both times....seemed like the nutters always liked to go there despite it being a fair way away.....

International

London, truly cosmopolitan city, good people, and you can do anything you want.
    Ipwich, lovely people
    Wareham
    Telford - - a dump but good personal memories

Swansea, got the Mumbles, Gower, close to West Wales and on the verge of Brecon Beacons.