+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Favourite British City , Other Than Cardiff ?

Re: Favourite British City , Other Than Cardiff ?

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    I’ll give Oxford a shout as it’s been missed so far.
    cracking pubs and real ale

Quote Originally Posted by uncle bob View Post
    Cmon, All the same bar a cathedral
    You have to be perfect to comment on cities and places to join this thread .

Please be aware of your unitary authorities and civil parishes

I get what you mean though Torquay as is Torbay .

If you stick strictly to CCMB City ruling and comments it sadly isolates many lovely places in Devon and Cornwall, you have the likes of Exeter .Plymouth and Truro which to be fair are not the greatest in that area .

If you fancy a real treat try the Berry head Hotel in Brixham right on the headland stunning views and lovely building.

https://berryheadhotel.com/contact

St David’s- lovely place

Quote Originally Posted by FormerlyJohnnyBreadhead View Post
    Belfast and Newcastle. Both cities, of course, but still full of personable, down to earth people with a good sense of humour. Also both have some great bars. I'd put Swansea in that category, too, as well as Glasgow (although I only spent a week there).

I have a soft spot for Portsmouth partly because of personal memories but also because it has some great history and is surrounded on either side by some truly beautiful places.

I'm a bit love/hate with London. I love visiting the place, I love the scale, diversity, and opportunity of it. Working there was horrendous though. I'd rather shit in my hands and clap than do rush hour on the Tube every day.
    I spent my student life in Portsmouth (which to be fair was 30 years ago so it may have changed 🙂) and other than Old Portsmouth which is nice enough I wouldn’t put it in the same league as your other choices. I’m also intrigued as to the beautiful places surrounding it? Portsmouth is an island and the 3 places surrounding it are Havant & Waterlooville, Gosport and Hayling Island ... nothing special about any of them that I can remember, or are you talking about the Isle of Wight?

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    I spent my student life in Portsmouth (which to be fair was 30 years ago so it may have changed 🙂) and other than Old Portsmouth which is nice enough I wouldn’t put it in the same league as your other choices. I’m also intrigued as to the beautiful places surrounding it? Portsmouth is an island and the 3 places surrounding it are Havant & Waterlooville, Gosport and Hayling Island ... nothing special about any of them that I can remember, or are you talking about the Isle of Wight?
    I was thinking more Lee on the Solent on the one side, and Chichester, Arundel etc on the other.

It was actually Gosport that I lived in, in Fort Blockhouse right in the harbour. Stone's throw across the water from Gunwharf and the Spinnaker. Blockhouse itself has some incredible 15th century buildings. I think the MOD has sold it off now to real estate developers, although I may be mistaken.

Surprised nobody’s mentioned Cornwall. Truro and Falmouth both nice places.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Surprised nobody’s mentioned Cornwall. Truro and Falmouth both nice places.
    Nice places. Not cities.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Nice places. Not cities.
    Truro is.

Truro is.
    True Ro.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    True Ro.
    But not really cities though

Population of Truro is 18000

Thats about the size of Porthcawl

OK, its got a cathedral

So I suppose it qualifies but its a weak link

Truro is.
    its not really , its a small town with a cathedral

Pop back later when you have thought of something else

International

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    its not really , its a small town with a cathedral

Pop back later when you have thought of something else
    It's a city. God's Wonderful Raiway even naked a locom0tive after it, "City of Truro"!

International

City of Truro also holds the record as the first Steam driven locomotive to travel at 100 MPH

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    It's a city. God's Wonderful Raiway even naked a locom0tive after it, "City of Truro"!
    Its a very sparsely populated place

Hereford is a city but its tiny

But its far bigger than Truro

Its a very sparsely populated place

Hereford is a city but its tiny

But its far bigger than Truro
    Don’t think the OP mentioned populations. Just City’s. Pop back later when you have something interesting to say.

Don’t think the OP mentioned populations. Just City’s. Pop back later when you have something interesting to say.
    Its pretty obvious that when people talk about uk cities they are referring to London, Glasgow, Birmingham, Manchester, Bristol , Sheffield , Cardiff etc

It seems everyone has understood that on the whole

I would rather you didn't pop back but if you have to , talk about Derby or somewhere like that instead of somewhere they make custard

Quote Originally Posted by Majorblue View Post
    London as I was born there and partially brought up before leaving as a teen but returned at 18 and now have a home close by.

Outside of that I actually prefer the rural villages but if pushed would say Chester, York, Bath and Bristol are all decent places.

Don’t get the love for Brighton as I find it a bit seedy and the beach is rubbish. If I had to pick a seaside city it would be Bournemouth but not sure that it has city status.
    My wife and I stayed in a nice hotel on the seafront in Brighton. As we pulled in to the car park at the rear ,we witnessed two young, well dressed men shooting up. It was the first time we'd seen this and both found it shocking and extremely sad. The whole seafront area is grim, and littered with drugged up homeless youngsters who approach everyone for money. I thought the whole area was very down at heel and wouldn't rush back

Cambridge is good but totally overrun by tourists. Also my adopted home home town of Shrewsbuy. I actually live on the site of the old Gay Meadow football ground where many on here will have been to. Anyone else live on a former football ground?

Quote Originally Posted by Shrewsbury Blue View Post
    Cambridge is good but totally overrun by tourists. Also my adopted home home town of Shrewsbuy. I actually live on the site of the old Gay Meadow football ground where many on here will have been to. Anyone else live on a former football ground?
    Do you get flooded?

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    Do you get flooded?
    No because the houses are built on a hill but the communal garden regularly gets flooded in the winter. You can actually see swans swimming up it.

No because the houses are built on a hill but the communal garden regularly gets flooded in the winter. You can actually see swans swimming up it.
    My grandfather lived in one of the blocks of flats in Harlescott, Shrewsbury

Have you got your own personal man in a coracle to fetch the ball when it goes over your garden wall?

International

Its pretty obvious that when people talk about uk cities they are referring to London, Glasgow, Birmingham, Manchester, Bristol , Sheffield , Cardiff etc

It seems everyone has understood that on the whole

I would rather you didn't pop back but if you have to , talk about Derby or somewhere like that instead of somewhere they make custard
    There you go changing what has been said to agree with your own narrative again. TBG and Jon spent effort pointing out that larger places mentioned were not cities, presumably because the don't have cathedrals, but don't let that get in the way of your opinions sludge.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Have you got your own personal man in a coracle to fetch the ball when it goes over your garden wall?
    Why does he live there you ask?

Mainly because it's a challenge, a challenge for me, it's a challenge for the coracle, and because it has been done before -

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    There you go changing what has been said to agree with your own narrative again. TBG and Jon spent effort pointing out that larger places mentioned were not cities, presumably because the don't have cathedrals, but don't let that get in the way of your opinions sludge.
    who invented the skip ?

who invented the skip ?