+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Favourite British City , Other Than Cardiff ?

Re: Favourite British City , Other Than Cardiff ?

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Have you got your own personal man in a coracle to fetch the ball when it goes over your garden wall?
    Fred Davies -

https://youtu.be/9NKPMRkXLMo

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    There you go changing what has been said to agree with your own narrative again. TBG and Jon spent effort pointing out that larger places mentioned were not cities, presumably because the don't have cathedrals, but don't let that get in the way of your opinions sludge.
    Urban settlements do not necessarily need cathedrals in order to be designated a city but I made my remark merely to be playful.
    By the way, does anyone know why Newport was only designated as a city 19 years ago despite having a cathedral since 5 AD?

The etymology of the word 'town' is fascinating (to me anyway).

Zaun is the German word for fence.
    Imagine a clutch of rudimentary dwellings enclosed by such a structure on order to protect the crops immediately around those dwellings and to prevent wild animals coming in.

Tuin is the Dutch word for garden and which is pronounced a little bit like Newportonians pronounce the word 'town'. Considering that the letter 'Z' in German often changes to a 'T' in Dutch (e.g. zwei > two, Zeit > tijd etc) and that it is often accompanied by a vowel change and you have the word 'Tuin' in Dutch i.e. the area within the aforementioned fence.

A slight vowel shift then brought us the word 'Town' in English i.e. the area of the settlement within a certain fence or boundary.

Tis all related and has a splendid logic.

The word 'City' comes from Latin, of course......

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    who invented the skip ?

who invented the skip ?
    Was he a captain?

International

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Was he a captain?
    He was a jack fisherman.

Was he a captain?
    No, he was a basket case.

International

Urban settlements do not necessarily need cathedrals in order to be designated a city but I made my remark merely to be playful.
    By the way, does anyone know why Newport was only designated as a city 19 years ago despite having a cathedral since 5 AD?

The etymology of the word 'town' is fascinating (to me anyway).

Zaun is the German word for fence.
    Imagine a clutch of rudimentary dwellings enclosed by such a structure on order to protect the crops immediately around those dwellings and to prevent wild animals coming in.

Tuin is the Dutch word for garden and which is pronounced a little bit like Newportonians pronounce the word 'town'. Considering that the letter 'Z' in German often changes to a 'T' in Dutch (e.g. zwei > two, Zeit > tijd etc) and that it is often accompanied by a vowel change and you have the word 'Tuin' in Dutch i.e. the area within the aforementioned fence.

A slight vowel shift then brought us the word 'Town' in English i.e. the area of the settlement within a certain fence or boundary.

Tis all related and has a splendid logic.

The word 'City' comes from Latin, of course......
    Have you been to Newport lately???

I heard something a little while ago along the lines of
    A hamlet is a colection of 4 or more dwellings.
    A village is a hamlet with a church
    A Town is a village wtih a church with a spire or something
    A City is a town with a cathedral.

Dunno where it came from but it seemed it may have been quite possible in medieval times. Places can be nominated as cities by the monarch as happened with Cardiff and Swansea, whereas Llandaff was already a city by virtue of its cathedral church. Apparently it is also the seat of the largest bishopric in England and Wales.

No, I haven't been to Newport lately but if anyone can answer my question about it I would be genuinely interested.

No, I haven't been to Newport lately but if anyone can answer my question about it I would be genuinely interested.
    Apparently City status does not apply automatically due to a cathedral but has to be applied for and granted by the monarch.

UK towns with cathedrals that aren't cities currently include Bury St Edmunds, Chelmsford, Blackburn and Guildford.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Apparently City status does not apply automatically due to a cathedral but has to be applied for and granted by the monarch.

UK towns with cathedrals that aren't cities currently include Bury St Edmunds, Chelmsford, Blackburn and Guildford.
    Interesting, particularly regarding Bury St Edmunds and for a reason I won't bore you with. It's unlike me, I know

Wales has one aswell - Brecon

Its pretty obvious that when people talk about uk cities they are referring to London, Glasgow, Birmingham, Manchester, Bristol , Sheffield , Cardiff etc

It seems everyone has understood that on the whole

I would rather you didn't pop back but if you have to , talk about Derby or somewhere like that instead of somewhere they make custard

The City of Truro, is actually bigger than the City of London (not counting the boroughs)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_of_London

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    The City of Truro, is actually bigger than the City of London (not counting the boroughs)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_of_London
    Its all dodgy dealers in winebars

What about the "City of Llandaff"

Nice Pubs

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    What about the "City of Llandaff"

Nice Pubs
    Don't bash the bishop.

International

Its all dodgy dealers in winebars
    Why are they all dodgy?

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Why are they all dodgy?
    I was more shocked by 'Wine Bars' I know Sludge is a bit behind the times and all that, but it isn't 1989

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I was more shocked by 'Wine Bars' I know Sludge is a bit behind the times and all that, but it isn't 1989
    There’s still a wine bar in Ebbw Vale

Quote Originally Posted by uncle bob View Post
    Peterbrough. They have the best pub in the UK on a massive floating barge called Charters bar.
    If like me you love all your real ales then you will be like a kid in a sweetshop if you ever get a chance to visit.
    They have about 50 cask ales and ciders on draught at any one time, they have unthinkable amounts of Belgium beers including the trappist ales you could ever imagine.

They have a massive outdoor beer garden next to the barge which is based on a bavarian beer garden. Lots of tables and chairs/benches and a live music band stand under cover.
    Its under the bridge on London Road by Peterborough United ground.
    https://youtu.be/N9mObgG3r-Q

Always go up for the Peterborough beer festival every year for the last 25 years or more.
    Anyone ever been to the beer festival? Biggest one in UK.
    Look at YouTube videos.
    https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/new...oughs-20552626

Edinburgh,Bath and York.

Chelmsford is now designated a city.

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbo View Post
    Chelmsford is now designated a city.
    chelmsford 123.jpeg