Quote Originally Posted by FormerlyJohnnyBreadhead View Post
Belfast and Newcastle. Both cities, of course, but still full of personable, down to earth people with a good sense of humour. Also both have some great bars. I'd put Swansea in that category, too, as well as Glasgow (although I only spent a week there).

I have a soft spot for Portsmouth partly because of personal memories but also because it has some great history and is surrounded on either side by some truly beautiful places.

I'm a bit love/hate with London. I love visiting the place, I love the scale, diversity, and opportunity of it. Working there was horrendous though. I'd rather shit in my hands and clap than do rush hour on the Tube every day.
I spent my student life in Portsmouth (which to be fair was 30 years ago so it may have changed 🙂) and other than Old Portsmouth which is nice enough I wouldn’t put it in the same league as your other choices. I’m also intrigued as to the beautiful places surrounding it? Portsmouth is an island and the 3 places surrounding it are Havant & Waterlooville, Gosport and Hayling Island ... nothing special about any of them that I can remember, or are you talking about the Isle of Wight?