+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: McCarthy says his time at the club has been "educational", but not a success.

McCarthy says his time at the club has been "educational", but not a success.

Cardiff City manager Mick McCarthy says his time at the club has been "educational", but not a success.

The Bluebirds were 15th in the Championship and closer to the relegation zone than the play-offs when McCarthy took charge on 22 January.

Cardiff were unbeaten in McCarthy's first 11 games in charge, but one win in six games has now seen their chances of a top-six finish all-but disappear.

"Is it a success? No, but it's been educational," said McCarthy.

"You can always take something from it, we've tried our best and I'd only have regrets if we hadn't done everything possible.

"Some of the younger players may get an opportunity now, but we've got a responsibility to win the games and play well.

"The play-offs aren't happening, even if we won all the games the other teams have enough about them to stop us, but when you're preparing for next season you want to finish on a high."

Although a play-off finish is still mathematically possible, the Bluebirds are 12 points adrift of the top six with just five matches remaining.

Instead, McCarthy says his focus is now on completing the campaign in a manner which gives his side the best chance next season.

"We can't just let the season finish, planning goes on all the time looking at players," said McCarthy.

"The season is never over, if it only mattered when you played for points the players wouldn't compete in training.

"You're always playing for something, your pride, the club, your jersey, the fans, yourself and your livelihood, if that isn't enough to motivate you then there's something wrong."

One of the notable positives under McCarthy has been the emergence of some of the club's younger talent.

Tom Sang and Ciaron Brown have been regular starters in defence in recent weeks while Rubin Colwill made his first-team debut under McCarthy.

Sang, 21, has been deputising at right wing-back instead of his more familiar midfield role with a number of defensive injuries at the club, and has signed a new contract at the club.

"It's great to have more than one string to your bow as a player," said McCarthy.

"I know he was a midfielder but we were always short of cover for Perry Ng and I looked at Tom and thought he was the ideal replacement.

"In one of my first training sessions it was Rubin Colwill and Issak Davies who caught my eye.

"And the likes of Tom and Ciaron Brown have done very very well, I'm very pleased with the youngsters and we'd like to get a few more through."

Morrison still missing

The Bluebirds will look to get back to winning ways on Friday evening against play-off chasing Reading.

However captain Sean Morrison remains unavailable through injury, with McCarthy confirming the defender will miss Friday's trip to the Madejski Stadium.

"Sean is still out, the lads who have come in have done very well but when I look back at his performances he's a great leader and we'd welcome him back," said McCarthy.

"He's not for Friday [vs Reading], and then we will have to look at Brentford, he could be a doubt for that as well.

"We hope to see him before the end of the season but we'll see."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56759575

Re: McCarthy says his time at the club has been "educational", but not a success.

I think his biggest success was being brave and believing in those great younger players we have on our books.

His transfer dealing will be interesting lets hope its built around those very youngsters.

Re: McCarthy says his time at the club has been "educational", but not a success.

Many managers claim to be 'honest'.

Mick McCarthy is.

I can't help liking the man. He seems to have no ego. No agenda. No excuses. He often takes the blame but rarely takes the credit. I don't always agree with his assessment of players or performances, but I never think (as with our last two managers and many before) that he is playing the media and fans for fools.

I'm not sure about the whole finishing on a high carrying over into next season. Does anyone think back to April and May when they begin again? Especially if there's a bunch of new players coming in. There might be a duty to win matches but it's possible we won't with our first choice team. I can't see much changing with our back 5 and midfield two anyway, but the other three might be rotated.

I think he's made for Cardiff City

Hard working , working class bloke , honest , wants the same from his players

Prepared to play the youngsters

He's route one in many ways but I don't care a toss

Swansea City are apparently the best footballing team in our division but have they gone up ?

And if they face a team of workhorses in the play offs will they win ?

Super Mick McCarthy

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post

Swansea City are apparently the best footballing team in our division but have they gone up ?

Super Mick McCarthy
    Are they? Norwich are probably the best footballing team in the league and are deservedly winning it with ease

The closest thing to a team of workhorses in the playoffs are probably Barnsley and Swansea beat them twice this season, so they probably would

They've got far more chance than us, plus I reckon they are better equipped to deal with the Premier League than we are.

Super Mick McCarthy
    yep made to fit us

Super Mick McCarthy
    Swansea are not a good footballing side.
    People assume that based on the legacy Martinez, Rogers et al left.
    The 2 teams above and below them are probably easier on the eye than they are.

As I say that, they’re miles ahead of us though.

Super Mick McCarthy
    There have been plenty of hard working honest working class managers who have been good and an equal number who have been completely useless.

As for playing the youngsters he doesn't unless forced to by injuries. Look at today's team no place for any in the team just the usual old hoofers. One of the things Ipswich fans complained about him is he stuck to his favourites and showed no inclination to play any youngsters at all. He is beginning to show the same level of stubbornness and inflexibility with us.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrewsbury Blue View Post
    There have been plenty of hard working honest working class managers who have been good and an equal number who have been completely useless.

As for playing the youngsters he doesn't unless forced to by injuries. Look at today's team no place for any in the team just the usual old hoofers. One of the things Ipswich fans complained about him is he stuck to his favourites and showed no inclination to play any youngsters at all. He is beginning to show the same level of stubbornness and inflexibility with us.
    Just like Warnockosaurus, then.

Super Mick McCarthy
    I think your idea of what Cardiff City is, is somewhat skewed. And based on a made-up version of the past. We are a capital city club, with a billionaire owner and Premier League aspirations. We're not a small club owned by the local scrap dealer from an insignificant northern town.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I think your idea of what Cardiff City is, is somewhat skewed. And based on a made-up version of the past. We are a capital city club, with a billionaire owner and Premier League aspirations. We're not a small club owned by the local scrap dealer from an insignificant northern town.
    I sometimes think Sludge is a dying breed of fan that still thinks it's a luxury playing Championship football because of 18 years in the bottom two divisions.

We've now spent 18 years in the second tier. It's been 14 years since we finished outside the top half of the Championship. We've had 4 playoff campaigns. We've won automatic promotion twice and had two seasons in the top flight.

Plucky, little old Cardiff City we are not. There aren't many Championship sides with a better record than us over the last decade.

the capital city side of things is a red herring

Cardiff is the capital city of a country with a very small population and its not a very big city compared to Leeds, Liverpool , etc

We are a medium sized club at our rightful place

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I sometimes think Sludge is a dying breed of fan that still thinks it's a luxury playing Championship football because of 18 years in the bottom two divisions.

We've now spent 18 years in the second tier. It's been 14 years since we finished outside the top half of the Championship. We've had 4 playoff campaigns. We've won automatic promotion twice and had two seasons in the top flight.

Plucky, little old Cardiff City we are not. There aren't many Championship sides with a better record than us over the last decade.
    Chuck in a FA Cup Final & League Cup Final to boot.

Cardiff is the capital city of a country with a very small population and its not a very big city compared to Leeds, Liverpool , etc

Cardiff is comparable with Leeds. And Liverpool has two football teams. We are traditionally a medium-size club. But we have a bigger stadium than Brighton, Norwich, Leicester, Wolves etc and we've proven that we can more than hold our own as a Premier League club off the pitch. Dream big my friend.

Cardiff is comparable with Leeds. And Liverpool has two football teams. We are traditionally a medium-size club. But we have a bigger stadium than Brighton, Norwich, Leicester, Wolves etc and we've proven that we can more than hold our own as a Premier League club off the pitch. Dream big my friend.
    Cardiff has less than half the population of Leeds.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    What about population per football league club in the area though? I wouldn’t have a clue on that but Newport are the only ones near to us, Leeds most probably have a few more.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Something must have changed. I'm pretty sure Leeds had a population listed at around 400,000 within the last 20 years.

Cardiff has the 11th largest population in the UK. 2 of the cities above us are in Scotland so we're the 9th largest city in the pyramid.

Brighton, Burnley, Leicester, Newcastle, Southampton, West Bromwich & Wolverhampton all have smaller populations than Cardiff and all have Premier League teams

I think NYCBlue is right in that you have a somewhat skewed view of modern Cardiff City. We've not finished below 12th in the Championship for over a decade, reached the Premier League twice and both domestic cup finals. We have modern facilities and a modern stadium in a great city which is still growing. This is a club that is capable of more than a team of workhorses

Something must have changed. I'm pretty sure Leeds had a population listed at around 400,000 within the last 20 years.
    Its about 800000

https://citymonitor.ai/environment/w...s-britain-1404

Cardiff is in the second tier of UK cities

https://citymonitor.ai/environment/w...s-britain-1404

Cardiff is in the second tier of UK cities
    Leicester City are 3rd in the Premier League. Couldn’t that be Cardiff City?

Super Mick McCarthy

Fair fuucking play.

You tell us you don’t drink?

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    Leicester City are 3rd in the Premier League. Couldn’t that be Cardiff City?
    it certainly could , I would love it to happen but can't see it