+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Next Years Squad

Next Years Squad

According to transfermarkt, the following are under contract at City for 21/22.

Goalkeepers
    Alex Smithies
    Dillon Phillips
    Joe Day

Defence
    Perry Ng
    Sean Morrison
    Aden Flint
    Curtis Nelson
    Joel Bagan

*Out of contract*
    Sol Bamba
    Ciaron Brown
    Joe Bennett
    Jordi Osei-Tutu

Midfield
    Will Vaulks
    Leandro Bacuna
    Joe Ralls
    Marlon Pack
    Tom Sang
    Jonny Williams
    Lee Tomlin

Forwards
    Gavin Whyte
    Josh Murphy
    Isaac Vassel
    Kieffer Moore
    Robert Glatzel
    Max Watters
    Mark Harris

*Out of Contract*
    Junior Hoilett
    Harry Wilson
    Sheyi Ojo

Where do you think needs the most strengthening? Personally I feel it's difficult to prioritise any one area as we need so much. We look light on full backs and clearly aren't good enough at centre back without Mozza. In the middle we are dogged, yet static and laboured and are in desperate need of some mobility. With Junior/Wilson and Ojo all potentially leaving we could also do with re-enforcing our wide options and may even need another striker depending on how Mick feels about Watters and Glatzel!

I feel the squad needs so much to contend again so this summer may be the most critical we've had in some time!

Re: Next Years Squad

Sorry to say it but I think it’s time for Ralls to move on.
    Also Pack and Tomlin, Vassel and Whyte.
    Thanks but goodbye to Hoilett and Bamba.
    Murphy at the right price.

I thought Williams contract was only to the end of this season.

forget playing staff I would love to see Aidy Bothroyd being appointed as our manager who has currently left the England under 21 scene

in my view plays the right way and would bring in the right type of players

can't see us going progressive with MM in charge next season

Joe Day signed on a 2 year contract in summer 2019.

I don't think it was extended (why would it?) so he is gone in the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    forget playing staff I would love to see Aidy Bothroyd being appointed as our manager who has currently left the England under 21 scene

That's not going to happen and I have a feeling that you may be wrong about MM

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    That's not going to happen and I have a feeling that you may be wrong about MM
    maybe wishful thinking on my behalf but think Bothroyd will be snapped by any progressive modern football club in the UK right now wish it was us !

Plays the right way?! Have you ever watched an Aidy Boothroyd team?! His Coventry team were painful to watch as were Watford.

Decent defence if all fit, goalies ok. Our midfield always seems weak when we play other teams so surely this is where we need to strengthen? Great if we have the Lee Tomlin of tail end of last season but we can’t rely on that.....

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Decent defence if all fit, goalies ok. Our midfield always seems weak when we play other teams so surely this is where we need to strengthen? Great if we have the Lee Tomlin of tail end of last season but we can’t rely on that.....
    You’re right. We cannot rely on it. He has to go.

We also need an alternative to Kieffer Moore. Glatzel isn't good enough. Watters isn't, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    We also need an alternative to Kieffer Moore. Glatzel isn't good enough. Watters isn't, either.
    We may need 2. I reckon a decent offer and Kiefers gone.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEAWAY View Post
    You’re right. We cannot rely on it. He has to go.
    Whose going to take him though on his reported 30k a week? Injury prone and last year of contract? He usually plays a blinder in that year anyway?

It's hard because what I would like to see happen I know won't happen under MM

We need players all over the pitch.

Goalkeepers
    Alex Smithies - keep unless wages is such an issue as reported
    Dillon Phillips - No 1 going forward.
    Joe Day - gone I believe.

Defence
    Perry Ng - keep
    Sean Morrison - must keep
    Aden Flint - move on but obviously we won't.
    Curtis Nelson - keep
    Joel Bagan - keep

*Out of contract*
    Sol Bamba - release
    Ciaron Brown - not a fan but maybe a squad player on low wages.
    Joe Bennett - release
    Jordi Osei-Tutu - return

Summary
    Need a left wing back need another centre back who can at least try and bring the ball out of the back 3.

Midfield
    Will Vaulks - keep
    Leandro Bacuna - try and move on
    Joe Ralls - keep
    Marlon Pack - try and move on
    Tom Sang - keep
    Jonny Williams - keep dependant on wages.
    Lee Tomlin - nothing we can do with him. May get paid up.

Need at least two central midfielders both capable of being first choice. Big ask but really needed.

Forwards
    Gavin Whyte - keep unless we can recoup. Some fee
    Josh Murphy - keep unless we can recoup some fee
    Isaac Vassel - See Tomlin above
    Kieffer Moore - keep
    Robert Glatzel - sell
    Max Watters - loan out
    Mark Harris - move on.

*Out of Contract*
    Junior Hoilett - release
    Harry Wilson - of we can keep him great but I don't see how.
    Sheyi Ojo - return to Liverpool

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    We may need 2. I reckon a decent offer and Kiefers gone.
    Yep, I think that's likely.

A lot will depend on what our budget is (how much it shrinks by) and how ready the youth players are to fill squad gaps.

Who are the players we can realistically sell to minimise impact of shrinking budget?

Who are the key senior players who will help the youth come through and win us games we shouldn't be winning?

Is it time to admit our mistake with Watters already (system fit rather than comment on quality) or is he a young player who deserves more time to settle before judgement? And can we move Glatzel on as well?

Players we want to move on will stay and players we want to keep will be moved on, most of our signings will be cheap or freebies, but having such an experienced manager should help youth players manage additional responsibility.

Day, Williams and Mark Harris are all out of contract too, and I think all of them will leave. No point keeping Williams as he rarely plays and keeps a youngster off the bench. Harris has barely been seen under MM so he's probably on his way too.

You're kidding right? Plays poor football and somehow managed to finish bottom of a Euros group with a wonderfully talented England U21 side

I'd say the full-backs are pretty sorted. Perry Ng on the right, with Tom Sang as cover. Bennett and Bagan on the left.
    We're lacking creativity in the midfield, and a couple of back up strikers. We have Watters and Harris, but it means changing the way we play.
    Personally, I think we should go back to 4-4-2.

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    I'd say the full-backs are pretty sorted. Perry Ng on the right, with Tom Sang as cover. Bennett and Bagan on the left.
    We're lacking creativity in the midfield, and a couple of back up strikers. We have Watters and Harris, but it means changing the way we play.
    Personally, I think we should go back to 4-4-2.
    Bennett is out of contract and will be out for some time, I'm sure I read he won't be fit for the new season.

I can't see MM changing from this formation. He talked about playing players in there correct positions and at the time he did and 5 at the back made sense. Since then he has put Ralls to left wing back rather than try and switch things up.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    Bennett is out of contract and will be out for some time, I'm sure I read he won't be fit for the new season.

I can't see MM changing from this formation. He talked about playing players in there correct positions and at the time he did and 5 at the back made sense. Since then he has put Ralls to left wing back rather than try and switch things up.
    But it doesn't work without Morrison (an additional threat in opposition's box and somewhat competent on the ball) and recent results are prove of that. It also asks too much of Moore when he's deserving of a rest.

Going to four at the back also wouldn't work because it would expose Sang too much and selling Cunningham means we're short on full-backs.

Both Harris and Mick have found formations/systems that are a short-term fix but Harris' plans derailed when he tried something else and now previously made complaints are cropping up on here again under MM. Some of the same issues will be seen next year too as it's unlikely significant change can be made to both the defence and the midfield (they're each fine as individuals but balance is all wrong) especially with so many wider players leaving and needing replacements.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    It's hard because what I would like to see happen I know won't happen under MM

We need players all over the pitch.

Goalkeepers
    Alex Smithies - keep unless wages is such an issue as reported
    Dillon Phillips - No 1 going forward.
    Joe Day - gone I believe.

Defence
    Perry Ng - keep
    Sean Morrison - must keep
    Aden Flint - move on but obviously we won't.
    Curtis Nelson - keep
    Joel Bagan - keep

*Out of contract*
    Sol Bamba - release
    Ciaron Brown - not a fan but maybe a squad player on low wages.
    Joe Bennett - release
    Jordi Osei-Tutu - return

Summary
    Need a left wing back need another centre back who can at least try and bring the ball out of the back 3.

Midfield
    Will Vaulks - keep
    Leandro Bacuna - try and move on
    Joe Ralls - keep
    Marlon Pack - try and move on
    Tom Sang - keep
    Jonny Williams - keep dependant on wages.
    Lee Tomlin - nothing we can do with him. May get paid up.

Need at least two central midfielders both capable of being first choice. Big ask but really needed.

Forwards
    Gavin Whyte - keep unless we can recoup. Some fee
    Josh Murphy - keep unless we can recoup some fee
    Isaac Vassel - See Tomlin above
    Kieffer Moore - keep
    Robert Glatzel - sell
    Max Watters - loan out
    Mark Harris - move on.

*Out of Contract*
    Junior Hoilett - release
    Harry Wilson - of we can keep him great but I don't see how.
    Sheyi Ojo - return to Liverpool
    We really should keep Bennet. The formation was going well with him and Ng as wing backs. Since Bennett has been out we really have gone backwards.
    Would not keep Ralls. If we release all the forwards listed above we will be extremely short.
    Cannot see City spending a lot of money in the summer and 4-5 low value players will not do it

Quote Originally Posted by DubaiDai View Post
    We really should keep Bennet. The formation was going well with him and Ng as wing backs. Since Bennett has been out we really have gone backwards.
    Would not keep Ralls. If we release all the forwards listed above we will be extremely short.
    Cannot see City spending a lot of money in the summer and 4-5 low value players will not do it
    Yeah it would be a case of seeing who is out of contract that can be better than Harris and Glatzel.

It's hard to say who should stay and go as it all depends on who we can actually get rid of.

Always been a Bennett fan but if wages need to be cut then I can see him going with Bagan and brining someone else in as back up. Depends how much Bennett is prepared to drop in wages.