+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Improved City foiled late on again as manager continues to underuse his substitutes.

Improved City foiled late on again as manager continues to underuse his substitutes.

Moore back among the goals, but our long run without a win over Reading continues.

http://mauveandyellowarmy.net/

Re: Improved City foiled late on again as manager continues to underuse his substitutes.

Our main attacking strength this year has been from aggressive press and dangerous set-pieces but with a "knackered" front line and Morrison being replaced by the offensively ineffective Nelson and Brown we now look far less going forward; instead our best moments now are from glimpses of good play between Sang, Moore, Wilson and Murphy. At least the 3 CB's did well defensively last night - Brown had his most complete performance so far - and Sang/NG is best combination since Bennett/NG.

Midfield base did slightly better but 2nd half was the usual underwhelming performance which doesn't offer control in possession (CB's lack of ball skills contribute to this) and increasingly it's noticeable how they're caught out on larger pitches against sides moving the ball well. Ralls has been tried in several alternative positions this year and failed to impress, Pack has done well at times but not for several games so I'd consider moving Ralls back into CM as one final go before advertising at least one in the summer - gives us a much needed chance to improve balance of the side.

Ojo played well (although shouldn't he have been helping out NG before we conceded?) but I can't fully understand why a player almost definitely leaving was given game time considering we're now building for next year. Maybe the idea is to bring through Brown and Sang fully first and the theory is that experience up front helps them?

I am another growing frustrated with MM use of the bench which has been poor in a number of games and hasn't been good since...Barnsley away? Still don't think it's right to judge before we see what he does in summer and how that plays out next year (Warnock's final transfer window has made every individual look worse since and that hit keeps coming) but I'm starting to have some questions.

Re: Improved City foiled late on again as manager continues to underuse his substitutes.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Moore back among the goals, but our long run without a win over Reading continues.

http://mauveandyellowarmy.net/

Another good write up Paul.

A few points...

..while possession is a vanity statistic if you don't do much with the ball, it is a simple mathematically equation that if you keep the ball the opposition can't create chances. To me that is a simple footballing truth... the alternative is conceding possession, playing negatively and throwing everything behind the ball to block... while there are times that is certainly needed, city seem to have a PhD in it of recent years an in my opinion is completely unsustainable if you want to not just compete at the top of the championship, but also retain a Premier League team. Recent history proves this yet city seem to take 'joy' in being battered rather than taking games to opponents and retaining possession. However, being more pragmatic, MM hasn't got the personnel for that so it will be interesting if he buys smartly in the summer or whether we are in for more of the same.. I am sick of city throwing the kitchen sink at defending rather than taking games to opponents.

.. your point about game management / free kicks... completely agree. I am baffled that after going 1 up in the 87th minute that the team couldn't close out the game. In the previous 86 minutes we had given away free kicks and picked up yellows and yet closing out the game we are so soft and allowed reading to come at us... perhaps it is the worry we will pick up a red after already receiving bookings, but the point is we should be more professional in closing games out.. why Moore crossed on 93 minutes when he could have gone to the corner was beyond belief. And why we weren't closing down and fouling in their half to keep play up field is baffling. We were doing in before we went in front but when we needed to do it, we didn't!

.. subs.. again, why oh why didn't we make three subs after we went ahead. It kills time and brings on some fresh legs. I think though its indicative of my first point - battling and industrious Cardiff hanging on again, and again. Sadly, it doesn't work, so sticking to the same principles when it hasn't worked for the last month is bizarre. During our decent run we would see Colwill and Harris coming on... that seems to have taken a back seat.

Another frustrating night. Not only because conceding a late goal is always a kick in the teeth, but the general approach to games is so negative. For MM to say we were 'excellent' up until we conceded may be just a bit of manager hyperbolic speak, but if he truly believes that then we are in for a pretty miserable few years.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Our main attacking strength this year has been from aggressive press and dangerous set-pieces but with a "knackered" front line and Morrison being replaced by the offensively ineffective Nelson and Brown we now look far less going forward; instead our best moments now are from glimpses of good play between Sang, Moore, Wilson and Murphy. At least the 3 CB's did well defensively last night - Brown had his most complete performance so far - and Sang/NG is best combination since Bennett/NG.

Midfield base did slightly better but 2nd half was the usual underwhelming performance which doesn't offer control in possession (CB's lack of ball skills contribute to this) and increasingly it's noticeable how they're caught out on larger pitches against sides moving the ball well. Ralls has been tried in several alternative positions this year and failed to impress, Pack has done well at times but not for several games so I'd consider moving Ralls back into CM as one final go before advertising at least one in the summer - gives us a much needed chance to improve balance of the side.

Ojo played well (although shouldn't he have been helping out NG before we conceded?) but I can't fully understand why a player almost definitely leaving was given game time considering we're now building for next year. Maybe the idea is to bring through Brown and Sang fully first and the theory is that experience up front helps them?

I am another growing frustrated with MM use of the bench which has been poor in a number of games and hasn't been good since...Barnsley away? Still don't think it's right to judge before we see what he does in summer and how that plays out next year (Warnock's final transfer window has made every individual look worse since and that hit keeps coming) but I'm starting to have some questions.
    Murphy was doing a fair bit of defensive covering in Ng’s corner of the pitch, so I thought “where was Murphy?”, more than was “where was Ojo?”, but I could be wrong.

I agree about Brown who, for me, struggled at Sheffield and wasn’t great against Blackburn, but I don’t get the stick he takes about his distribution when it’s not that good, but is no worse than the two he’s played alongside lately - our limitations when it comes to passing out from the back are proved by the way some laud Morrison as being good at it (we haven’t got a centre back who can play out from the back in the manner that term is supposed to mean). One of the reasons I thought it was an improved showing by us was that the centre backs got back to doing what they’re best at well after a dodgy couple of games.

Quote Originally Posted by AfricanBluebird View Post
    Another good write up Paul.

A few points...

..while possession is a vanity statistic if you don't do much with the ball, it is a simple mathematically equation that if you keep the ball the opposition can't create chances. To me that is a simple footballing truth... the alternative is conceding possession, playing negatively and throwing everything behind the ball to block... while there are times that is certainly needed, city seem to have a PhD in it of recent years an in my opinion is completely unsustainable if you want to not just compete at the top of the championship, but also retain a Premier League team. Recent history proves this yet city seem to take 'joy' in being battered rather than taking games to opponents and retaining possession. However, being more pragmatic, MM hasn't got the personnel for that so it will be interesting if he buys smartly in the summer or whether we are in for more of the same.. I am sick of city throwing the kitchen sink at defending rather than taking games to opponents.

.. your point about game management / free kicks... completely agree. I am baffled that after going 1 up in the 87th minute that the team couldn't close out the game. In the previous 86 minutes we had given away free kicks and picked up yellows and yet closing out the game we are so soft and allowed reading to come at us... perhaps it is the worry we will pick up a red after already receiving bookings, but the point is we should be more professional in closing games out.. why Moore crossed on 93 minutes when he could have gone to the corner was beyond belief. And why we weren't closing down and fouling in their half to keep play up field is baffling. We were doing in before we went in front but when we needed to do it, we didn't!

.. subs.. again, why oh why didn't we make three subs after we went ahead. It kills time and brings on some fresh legs. I think though its indicative of my first point - battling and industrious Cardiff hanging on again, and again. Sadly, it doesn't work, so sticking to the same principles when it hasn't worked for the last month is bizarre. During our decent run we would see Colwill and Harris coming on... that seems to have taken a back seat.

Another frustrating night. Not only because conceding a late goal is always a kick in the teeth, but the general approach to games is so negative. For MM to say we were 'excellent' up until we conceded may be just a bit of manager hyperbolic speak, but if he truly believes that then we are in for a pretty miserable few years.
    I do so agree about our “backs to the wall” defending as if it is our preferred way of playing. Why on earth would anyone want their team to play like we do, but it seems someone does because the real “Cardiff way” is, sadly, becoming more ingrained.

I mentioned in my reply to surge that one of the reasons I rated us as having played better than we have done recently was because all,of our centre backs defended better than they did against Sheffield and Blackburn.

The other was that I thought that we did okay in midfield in the first half - in fact, we were better than Reading, but maybe I’ve been influenced too much by our usual performances in that area and so am getting too excited about something that was no more than adequate when you consider the sort of position in the Championship we’ve become used to finishing in and our spending power over the last decade.

I agree about Brown who, for me, struggled at Sheffield and wasn’t great against Blackburn, but I don’t get the stick he takes about his distribution when it’s not that good, but is no worse than the two he’s played alongside lately - our limitations when it comes to passing out from the back are proved by the way some laud Morrison as being good at it (we haven’t got a centre back who can play out from the back in the manner that term is supposed to mean). One of the reasons I thought it was an improved showing by us was that the centre backs got back to doing what they’re best at well after a dodgy couple of games.
    If the 3 basic skills a top modern day defender needs it's being:

- mean in defence
    - skillful in possession
    - threat in opposition's box

Morrison scores highest overall and Flint second best but current line-up sans Morrison scores lowest of any potential combination and Brown is worst of the lot (whether that's just because he's youngest or not); but the gap to his colleagues was less yesterday than in other games and not because the other two were poor. None of them will go to premier league side at any point mind.

Brown has deserved negative feedback for his performances so far but Warnock's last transfer window created an awful squad so that every individual would receive much higher marks if they were playing with a more suitable partner. Next year we'll likely play with same midfield or the same defence and problems will continue on...

Our bench last night (unused outfield players):
    Osei-Tutu - coming back from a long term injury, possibly only to be used if defender injured
    Hoillett - out of favour (you're right, it's strange why he's still being picked when he isn't going to come on - maybe he's good company)
    Colwill - still learning the game, possibly only there cos of the 9 sub rule
    Williams - unlikely to be used at 6 or 8, already plenty of attacking options on the bench.
    Harris and Watters - again possibly making up the numbers and not ready to take over from Moore.

The issue, with regard to possession and the equaliser, were at the back and midfield, so once Murphy and Ojo were sent on that was it for the attacking options. There wasn't much else to be done apart from Williams at 6 or 8. Has he played there before?

Possibly Watters for Moore? Would the former have won the penalty late on? Maybe, maybe not. Again, harsh to put him in when we have a system that requires a skill set he doesn't have (that we know of).

There have been some calls for Sang in midfield, which seems a little unfair - he's already being asked to learn a relatively new position and then expected to shore up our mediocre midfield at the same time. It might be worth a try in time, just not yet.

With regard to the comparison of Barnsley - I don't know a whole lot about them but perhaps they have better options for the bench, and a more balanced one.

Good write up Paul. I thought you played well first half and we struggled to retain possession. Whilst we improved after the break we rarely threatened. Our season is done.
    The criticism of MM regarding subs equally applies to Pauno who rarely brings on fresh legs. Yes Swift came on but that was it until it was too little too late.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Our season is done.
    You've been saying that for many months, after every single Reading setback. It's become a catchphrase, but on this occasion you're probably right.

I would love to see a pass map throughout the season.

So so often do I see us completely skipping the midfield and it just being punted up to no mans land

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    You've been saying that for many months, after every single Reading setback. It's become a catchphrase, but on this occasion you're probably right.
    No I haven’t but what has become clear as the season has progressed was that we were struggling to maintain our position. We have lost more than we have won since our great start to the season. That’s not the form of a team going up.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Agree. His use of the bench has been appalling and worse than Harris who was slightly better than Warnock! There are lots of questions and unfortunately not many answers when looking at the squad for next season and probably not enough money available to MM to make any big impression. If he can't get the side playing and working as he did in his first 6 matches then we're likely to be in the same place with him as we were with Harris unless there's a radical change

I'm not in the camp that says we're OK in defence and just need midfield players. I think we need some brave changes and I've been vocal about wanting a new captain and direction on the pitch too. I'd like to see the captaincy go to Moore and build our future around him.

We need fast wingers who can beat a player and cross the ball if we're really going to capitalise on the best striker we've had in years.

Murphy was doing a fair bit of defensive covering in Ng’s corner of the pitch, so I thought “where was Murphy?”, more than was “where was Ojo?”, but I could be wrong.

Flint isn't exactly comfortable on the ball, but at least he occasionally manages to complete a forward pass to one of his teammates. Brown and Nelson seem to be incapable of anything other than hoofing the ball down the channels. We've got even worse in possession since they've both been playing in the back three.