+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Gaps Between the Divisions

Gaps Between the Divisions

This year it looks almost certain that two of the three sides promoted from the Championship last season will be relegated again, while at least two and maybe all three of the sides relegated from the Premier League last season will be immediately promoted back to the top flight. Meanwhile, it looks certain that at least one and possibly two of the sides who were promoted to the Championship last season will be relegated back to League One at the first attempt. So is any of this unusual?

The following is a list of the teams who were relegated from the Premier League during the last ten years having been promoted from the Championship the previous season:

2010/11 - 1 (Blackpool)
    2011/12 - 0
    2012/13 - 1 (Reading)
    2013/14 - 1 (Cardiff)
    2014/15 - 2 (Burnley, QPR)
    2015/16 - 1 (Norwich)
    2016/17 - 2 (Hull, Middlesbrough)
    2017/18 - 0
    2018/19 - 2 (Cardiff, Fulham)
    2019/20 - 1 (Norwich)

The following is a list of the teams during the same period who were relegated from Premier League to the Championship but went straight back up:

2010/11 - 0
    2011/12 - 1 (West Ham via the play-offs)
    2012/13 - 0
    2013/14 - 1 (QPR via the play-offs)
    2014/15 - 1 (Norwich via the play-offs)
    2015/16 - 2 (Burnley as champions, Hull via the play-offs)
    2016/17 - 1 (Newcastle as champions)
    2017/18 - 0
    2018/19 - 0
    2019/20 - 1 (Fulham via the play-offs)

Lastly, a list of the teams during the last ten seasons who were relegated to League One after being promoted to the Championship the previous year:

2010/11 - 0
    2011/12 - 0
    2012/13 - 0
    2013/14 - 2 (Doncaster and Yeovil)
    2014/15 - 0
    2015/16 - 1 (MK Dons)
    2016/17 - 0
    2017/18 - 0
    2018/19 - 1 (Rotherham)
    2019/20 - 1 (Charlton)

Does any of this suggest that the gaps between the divisions are widening? Personally, I don't think so. I believe the Covid-19 situation has meant the transfer markets have been quieter during the last twelve months and that has undoubtedly played a part, but I think a bigger influence on the way things are at the moment is the actual clubs involved. West Brom have long been a Premier League/Championship yo-yo club, Fulham have become one in recent years, Norwich and Watford retained strong squads from last season, it will be no surprise to anyone if Rotherham get relegated again given their small budget and it was a miracle that Wycombe got promoted promoted to the Championship in the first place.

Re: Gaps Between the Divisions

Its all about the money honey 🍯

You would have to say yes there is a gap.
    As consistently the best championship teams regularly come straight back down - mostly 2 at a time and then bounce back within a season or 2.
    Lately that’s been Fulham and Norwich

Very few over the last 10 seasons go up and stay up for a long time (Jacks, Wolves, Bournemouth, Brighton, Palace, Leicester, Newcastle, Burnley, Watford and probably add Leeds to that going forward).

2 of these sides will find themselves back up no doubt.

Without looking at the previous 10 years, my inclination would be that the gap between the top two divisions is widening. I'm surprised to see that teams got relegated back to the 3rd tier. They normally do so well. But I guess 5 out of 30 isn't so bad. I'm also surprised that QPR were in the PL as recently as 2015.

With regard to the three relegated sides from last season’s Premier League, I agree that they’ve benefitted from the shorter close season because it means that they were able to keep more of a core of their 19/20 squad than they would under normal circumstances.

As for other divisions, I’ll admit to being very surprised at Hull’s imminent promotion because they were such a poor side in the second half of last season - maybe I’m not being fair, but the fact that Hull could well be Champions makes me think that standards in League One can’t be great.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    As for other divisions, I’ll admit to being very surprised at Hull’s imminent promotion because they were such a poor side in the second half of last season - maybe I’m not being fair, but the fact that Hull could well be Champions makes me think that standards in League One can’t be great.
    It's been an incredible turnaround. I was surprised they stuck with Grant McCann as manager, but that decision is really paying dividends. They've had a couple of younger players really come to prominence this season in Mallik Wilks and Keane Lewis-Potter. Greg Docherty in midfield has apparently been a very good signing too. Impossible to know what the standard in that division is like this season as we don't see much of it, but Hull have stolen a march on a fair few decent-sized clubs, so it may just be a case of things coming together for them at the right time.

A quick glance at the championship table right now - the 3 that came down are sat n positions 1,2 and 3 with 3 games to go.

2 of the 3 what went up are coming straight back down.

4 or 5 of that particular 6 that went down and up will be back up and down.

So you would have to say that yes there is a gap

There is supposed to be a gap isn't there ? Thats the whole point of trying to get promotion - to play against better teams. If the quality was the same it would all be a total waste of time.

So the conclusion you’ve come to, given all that’s gone on the last couple of days, is that less variety and competition is a good thing? The concern is, maybe unfounded, that the gap is widening. That wouldn’t be a good thing.

yes I think the transfer market being unusually quiet, and the fact that the three clubs that came down weren't in too much of a mess definitely helped.
    also the fact that the TV deals in the premier League are larger than ever

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    There is supposed to be a gap isn't there?
    Of course there is. Has anyone suggested otherwise?

Quote Originally Posted by Freitag 4.17 View Post
    So the conclusion you’ve come to, given all that’s gone on the last couple of days, is that less variety and competition is a good thing?
    Not sure who this comment is directed at. If it’s me, I don’t understand it as I haven’t reached any such conclusion and don’t believe anything of the sort.

The only conclusion I’ve reached after examining the stats from the last ten seasons is that what’s happening this year in terms of promotion and relegation is unusual to the point of possibly being unique.

Next season in the PL will be interesting I think Burnley & Brighton have run out of steam and will come down with the playoff winners from this season.

West Brom & Fulham will be favourites to go straight back up. I think Sheffield Utd may struggle and could be closer to the bottom than the top.

^^^^^^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Not sure who this comment is directed at. If it’s me, I don’t understand it as I haven’t reached any such conclusion and don’t believe anything of the sort.

The only conclusion I’ve reached after examining the stats from the last ten seasons is that what’s happening this year in terms of promotion and relegation is unusual to the point of possibly being unique.
    No - My comment was directed at Mehmet's comment above mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Freitag 4.17 View Post
    No - My comment was directed at Mehmet's comment above mine.
    Ah, I see. In fairness to dml1954, he finds himself in a tricky position as he'll have to construct an argument that excuses City's failure to mount a genuine promotion challenge this season without apportioning any blame to Neil Harris, Mick McCarthy or Vincent Tan.

I’ve never subscribed to the “Quality of the Championship is the weakest it’s been for years” line because, let’s be honest, its gets trotted out every year, but this season I have to make an exception.

Citys football is depressing enough to watch but even watching a championship game that doesn’t involve them has become a real chore this season.

I can’t wait for the season to end.

Hopefully when fans return the quality and intensity of the games will improve.