+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: European Super League imminent?

Re: European Super League imminent?

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    How true it is I don’t know, but I heard this morning that Mourinho refused to take training with Spurs because he was adamant the Club should not be involved in this Super League fiasco - they sacked him hours later.

Fan power has now won the day.
    I think that rumour was quashed.

I hope there is still punishment, and the big clubs don't just use this as a learning opportunity to try again in a few years time having won over some of the "key external stakeholders".

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I hope there is still punishment, and the big clubs don't just use this as a learning opportunity to try again in a few years time having won over some of the "key external stakeholders".
    Doesn't seem there will be, already publicly welcomed back to suckle on the uefa bosom.

Probably some sort of private sweeteners made to the clubs to end it rather than punishment.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Doesn't seem there will be, already publicly welcomed back to suckle on the uefa bosom.

Probably some sort of private sweeteners made to the clubs to end it rather than punishment.
    I guess some of the main instigators have resigned, I'd still like to see a punishment though

The big so called Six should have a 20 point deduction for bringing the game into disrepute so no CL next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    How true it is I don’t know, but I heard this morning that Mourinho refused to take training with Spurs because he was adamant the Club should not be involved in this Super League fiasco - they sacked him hours later.

Fan power has now won the day.
    Cost them £16 million to sack him too....he must be laughing his tiits off

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    The big so called Six should have a 20 point deduction for bringing the game into disrepute so no CL next season.
    That would be brilliant....no relegation no? Just for a year?

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    That would be brilliant....no relegation no? Just for a year?
    Obviously the football authorities love to place financial penalties on players and managers for bringing the game into disrepute so what’s good for the goose as they say.

This so called Super League was a bit like planning a lads holiday, before checking it was okay with the missus first.

Quote Originally Posted by 19bluebirds27 View Post
    This so called Super League was a bit like planning a lads holiday, before checking it was okay with the missus first.
    and all turning up at the airport without any flights or accomodation booked

"IF YOU LISTEN VERY CAREFULLY, YOU WILL HEAR THE GODS LAUGHING"

This is, I think a very apt quote from a film

The film title is, in a way quite apt too

Question for you. What film is it

(try not to just type the quote into Google - that makes it far too easy, it's not that hard anyway)

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    Obviously the football authorities love to place financial penalties on players and managers for bringing the game into disrepute so what’s good for the goose as they say.
    They absolutely should be punished. I'd genuinely like to see them not re-admitted to domestic and european competitions until ownership is changed to a fan ownership model. But I am sure that would be legally impossible as you'd effectively be stripping value from the shareholders and that isn't really fair; and it is even worse for fans than what happened to Rangers as they have nothing to watch at all.

Or we could have a points deduction - say 30 points for the EPL clubs. But I'd argue that this devalues the leagues even more than not having them there at all. It would openly be a farce: Man City could "earn" 90 points but finish mid-table on 60 because of the penalties.

Block access to the ECL? That sounds more like it but is hardly going to hurt Spurs, Arsenal or even Liverpool is it? Although blocking it for 3 years would make sense. My fear is UEFA seem to have had their belly tickled by last night's news and the vitriol and desire for retribution and punishment seems to have dissipated.

So actually I think the best penalty could actually be something that isn't dressed up as a penalty at all. Government are going to look at the way football works, and have made clear that notwithstanding the death of the ESL, they will be looking at ownership models and fairness. Anything they do to level the playing field will be devastating for these "super clubs" because it will increase the risk they don't get access to the money they need to keep the kite flying.

The six English clubs involved have shown their true colours, so the damage to their reputations has been done.

Uefa president Aleksander Ceferin said the six English clubs were "back in the fold", adding: "The important thing now is that we move on, rebuild the unity that the game enjoyed before this and move forward together."

I think these clubs may get away with trying it.

Is there some sort of amnesty for those involved in coup attempts in 2021?

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    Uefa president Aleksander Ceferin said the six English clubs were "back in the fold", adding: "The important thing now is that we move on, rebuild the unity that the game enjoyed before this and move forward together."

One thing we have learnt in 2021 is if you need a coup doing, don't ask an American.

They're gonna get away with it. They should all be fined, docked points and banned from Europe for a few years but it won't happen

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    They're gonna get away with it. They should all be fined, docked points and banned from Europe for a few years but it won't happen
    Will definitely not happen.

The backlash of a huge number of fans should herald UEFA, FIFA and the league associations to address and reform how football operates as a whole.

But pretty sure they are just happy to continue to bleed the existing cash cow.

Quote Originally Posted by Freitag 4.17 View Post
    One thing we have learnt in 2021 is if you need a coup doing, don't ask an American.

That is the other thing that is really apparent here.

Football, financially, is not a big business. Everyone likes to think it is, but it isn't. It's small beer really. Real Madrid's turnover for example is under the EUR750m thresshold above which a business is considered large or medium-sized for many things.

Emotionally they are very significant, and the wider public interest means these clubs are very important, but financially even these super clubs are relatively small businesses, run, on the whole, by idiots. What we've just seen is the leaders of the biggest clubs displaying not only an incredible level of arrogance and greed, but also a truly astonishing lack of intelligence. It sounds like something dreamt up in a pub. The lack of planning and preparedness is proof alone that these people really shouldn't be allowed to drive motor vehicles, never mind run a football club.

Absolute clowns, the lot of them. Monumentally and dangerously stupid men.

Inter and Atletico have backed out now.

apparently uefa are now coming under pressure to review the "highest coefficient qualifiers" in the forthcoming rule changes to come in in 2024.
    if they were in place this season it would likely mean that Liverpool and Chelsea would get champions League football even if they didn't qualify .
    now their excess greed looks like it may **** that up for them

That is the other thing that is really apparent here.

Football, financially, is not a big business. Everyone likes to think it is, but it isn't. It's small beer really. Real Madrid's turnover for example is under the EUR750m thresshold above which a business is considered large or medium-sized for many things.

Emotionally they are very significant, and the wider public interest means these clubs are very important, but financially even these super clubs are relatively small businesses, run, on the whole, by idiots. What we've just seen is the leaders of the biggest clubs displaying not only an incredible level of arrogance and greed, but also a truly astonishing lack of intelligence. It sounds like something dreamt up in a pub. The lack of planning and preparedness is proof alone that these people really shouldn't be allowed to drive motor vehicles, never mind run a football club.

Absolute clowns, the lot of them. Monumentally and dangerously stupid men.
    It always baffles me that football is referred to as "big business" by the press, its miles off

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    It always baffles me that football is referred to as "big business" by the press, its miles off
    the top clubs aren't small, some have net worth of 4bn + , employees in the thousands etc.
    yes they aren't a huge multinational, but they certainly aren't a small business.

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    The six English clubs involved have shown their true colours, so the damage to their reputations has been done.
    What reputations? I don't think it's made a blind bit of difference personally. Everyone knows that they're in it for the money and until now not a lot of people cared

I'm surprised Barcelona haven't officially pulled out and issued an apology yet.

Juve and Real are a different matter. Homes of the conspirators in chief!

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    the top clubs aren't small, some have net worth of 4bn + , employees in the thousands etc.
    yes they aren't a huge multinational, but they certainly aren't a small business.
    UEFA's media rights revenues are also about $4bn per annum. Not exactly a drop in the ocean.